• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Louisville Game Time - 7:30 ACCN

I mean, I’ve been as angry as I’ve been in a long time about the missed opportunities and missed call on the onside kick. And I’m as concerned as anyone about the D and special teams. But let’s be real: UGA lost to USC. At home, too. Don’t you think their fans are scratching their heads at a home loss against an inferior opponent with so much on the line? It’s football. It’s *college* football. It happens. We’re 8-1 our last 9 games. That’s incredible. Plus Louisville is better than people think.

Yes. And Louisville is much better than Clawson & Co. and the players really thought. To win the Atlantic probably requires winning the rest of the season which the team playing Lville last night cannot do.

A few notes.

1. We were unprepared for Louisville's speed, formations, and shiftyness.

2. Kickoff and punt return coverage was exposed. Louisville must have seen something on film.

3. Sloppy football. Turnovers, false starts, holding.

4. Four Wake possessions ended because of poor refereeing: Washington's catch on third down, 2 obvious pass interferences resulting in Wake drops on third down, and the last on side kick.

I love reading some of the Facebook hot takes. One guy said the bye week took away our momentum and we should find teams to play us so we don’t take bye weeks. Yes, I actually read that.

So let's get a couple things straight. I am a Wake Forest alum who hates UNC as much as any of you, especially in football where they have NOTHING to hang any reputation on. When Mack Brown was there before there was no FSU, VT or Miami. Clemson was middling. He had to beat Md or State most years and that was it. And as far as last night most of you nit-picking this game have missed the big picture. Our defense did the best they could with the athletes we have. It's not scheme, or coaching, or the bye week. Our D-line hasn't pressured anybody all season, and with a 4 man rush against the rest of our schedule probably won't. Basham is an excellent player, but he ain't Reggie White. Bothroyd and Kamara are playing their asses off and wouldn't start for most ACC defenses. Strnad and Smenda are the best we have. Our DB's probably had zero pass breakups last night and always play off coverage because they're not fast enough for man coverage against most receivers. Nobody on our team was fast enough to cover Atwell anywhere on the field. Our offense, for a Wake Forest team, is pretty dangerous. BUT, it's built around the tempo and the funky mesh point to mask the fact that we have a very weak o-line that doesn't open holes, ever. Surratt is a serious baller, best we've had since Ricky Proehl. Hinton is a good receiver( not as good as Dortch), Washington has hands of stone at least 50% of the time. Carney is a super tough dude. Newton is a super raw talent. Sophisticated talent, none of them except maybe Surratt. Newman's touch on short throws is non-existent while his deep throws are better. Neither CBS or Walker is a legit home run threat at this level. We are getting the most out of this team. That's a credit to Clawson regardless of individual moments in a game. Unless we play well as a team, and get some calls from the refs, neither of which happened last night, we're gonna lose some of these games to mediocre ACC teams, because that's who we are too in our "good years". I'll stick to my mantra that 8 wins outta this team is a very good accomplishment.

let's also get this straight: you're a dickhead.

We have a good team but we have had 4 close games and lost one. Our offense is much better than our defense. Special teams seemed ok until Louisville but are now a major concern. We got outcoached and outplayed last night. 8 regular season wins (maybe 9) is about all we can reasonably expect. Back to reality.

And it’s about time to play Donavon in his 4 games. The CB’s won’t be able to crowd him at the line of scrimmage like they do Washington. He will run by them on the long pass plays.

you have to wonder if our offense is TOO GOOD and scores TOO FAST so our defense is just tired from playing so much, right?

The comment about the bye week isn't that crazy under the circumstances. If the stat I read on here this week is correct, Clawson is now 0-7 at Wake after byes. Something's happening to our team mentality and to their level of preparedness after extra time between games and the staff needs to get that corrected.

I expected multiple losses but didn't think at home to Louisville, after two weeks to get ready, would be one of them. Let's hope this isn't the start of another typical WF unraveling that sees us limp to a 6-6 finish.

I love reading some of the Facebook hot takes. One guy said the bye week took away our momentum and we should find teams to play us so we don’t take bye weeks. Yes, I actually read that.

Don't take this the wrong way, but: You'd have taken all my money if you told me before the season that I'd be more discouraged reading the fb group's comments than reading those on here.

Inspectah, you read that correctly. But the staff did do something different, i.e. they revamped the way they approached the off week. Nasir Greer and Sage Surratt both indicated that in spite of that, practices were lackadaisical last week.

Now, those might be young players just throwing darts at a board for why the start of the game sucked so much. But at some point, if Wake is going to be a players-led program (which it is, which Clawson touts), there has to be a realization that the coaches can only take them so far. They've gotta figure out why they were sleep-walking until 28-7.

The comment about the bye week isn't that crazy under the circumstances. If the stat I read on here this week is correct, Clawson is now 0-7 at Wake after byes. Something's happening to our team mentality and to their level of preparedness after extra time between games and the staff needs to get that corrected.

I expected multiple losses but didn't think at home to Louisville, after two weeks to get ready, would be one of them. Let's hope this isn't the start of another typical WF unraveling that sees us limp to a 6-6 finish.

That's my worry as well. To me anything less than 8 wins (including bowl game) would be very disappointing. Still a lot of football left and some very winnable games. I think Louisville is just better than people thought and they were on my radar a few weeks ago. I knew it wouldn't be easy. It was going to take a clean game to beat those guys and we just dug too big of a hole and still almost won the damn thing. Will be interesting to see how they finish the season.

Don't take this the wrong way, but: You'd have taken all my money if you told me before the season that I'd be more discouraged reading the fb group's comments than reading those on here.

Inspectah, you read that correctly. But the staff did do something different, i.e. they revamped the way they approached the off week. Nasir Greer and Sage Surratt both indicated that in spite of that, practices were lackadaisical last week.

Now, those might be young players just throwing darts at a board for why the start of the game sucked so much. But at some point, if Wake is going to be a players-led program (which it is, which Clawson touts), there has to be a realization that the coaches can only take them so far. They've gotta figure out why they were sleep-walking until 28-7.

All true, but a little lame you kept 2 loss Iowa in at 25 instead of being a homer like most other AP voters are.

All true, but a little lame you kept 2 loss Iowa in at 25 instead of being a homer like most other AP voters are.

All . . .

true, honestly. Without promising anything, it's likely a win against FSU would put Wake right back in my poll.

Maybe our D is bad because it only ever faces a simple basic O in practice. Has anyone else notice that teams with diversity and wide variety are the ones who give us fits? Having the freshman scout team mimic the opponent is not the same as facing starters.

What I thought was crazy was he seemed to indicate we’d be better off having no bye weeks ever and we needed to find teams to play us on our “bye” weeks. That of course is not how scheduling works.

The sunshine brigade is bright over there. I mean I’m behind the Deacs no matter what and try to be as positive as common sense warrants, but some of them just ridiculous. One dude said there was nothing bad about the game night and it was the best game he’d ever seen and we should be glad to have been a part of it and he thinks we’ll beat Clemson. I kid not!

All . . .

true, honestly. Without promising anything, it's likely a win against FSU would put Wake right back in my poll.

Given that Clausen hasn't been able to win after a bye, maybe he should schedule a bye before Clemson each year and not waste another game.

What I thought was crazy was he seemed to indicate we’d be better off having no bye weeks ever and we needed to find teams to play us on our “bye” weeks. That of course is not how scheduling works.

I doubt he was serious.

Maybe the staff can come up with a high stakes scrimmage or something like that to keep them focused for the bye week. They looked unprepared after two weeks.

Looks like FSU line opened at Wake -4, then -2 1/2. Hartman was great last night , but wasn’t it ugly at FSU last year with Hartman starting? Recollect he panicked under the rush. Hope Newman can go.

Back