• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Louisville rehires Bobby Petrino

Total thread hijack, but did anyone on here marry a virgin?

The opinions of some on these boards about Bob Knight are absurd. Why don't all of you consider this: for all his faults Bob Knight was/is the best in two different fields. He was the best college basketball coach of his era, and he is now the best analyst in college basketball broadcasting. Hardly anybody posting here will sniff top 1,000 in his chosen profession, while Knight was the best in two. Grow up. People are not perfect, but some, including Bob Knight, are excellent in their professions. Most of us would consider ourselves very lucky and skillful if we even approached his accomplishments.

As an aside, many his teams simply played beautiful basketball. We should be so lucky to have a Wake team that played like some of Knight's teams. People would be knocking down the doors to get in and not staying away in droves.

75675-fabulous-spandex-deal-with-it-Ojqw.gif

The opinions of some on these boards about Bob Knight are absurd. Why don't all of you consider this: for all his faults Bob Knight was/is the best in two different fields. He was the best college basketball coach of his era, and he is now the best analyst in college basketball broadcasting. Hardly anybody posting here will sniff top 1,000 in his chosen profession, while Knight was the best in two. Grow up. People are not perfect, but some, including Bob Knight, are excellent in their professions. Most of us would consider ourselves very lucky and skillful if we even approached his accomplishments.

As an aside, many his teams simply played beautiful basketball. We should be so lucky to have a Wake team that played like some of Knight's teams. People would be knocking down the doors to get in and not staying away in droves.

You're missing the point. Nobody is saying that Knight did not have an awesome record or was not a successful basketball coach. That's as undeniable as facts come.

BKF's portrayal of him as a saint is crap, though, and both you and I know it. Bob Knight is many things, but good person he is not. I don't think good people do the things that he did in positions of power that he held. That said, you're right: I wish that Buzz would coach a game in which the product on the floor was more appealing than cat vomit; likewise, if Buzz choked somebody on this team, threw a chair, or something of Knight's caliber, he'd be gone in 5 seconds flat.

Now that that straw man is out of the way, his broadcasting prowess is a matter of opinion.

People are not perfect, but some, including Bob Knight, are excellent in their professions.

Most of us don't physically and mentally abuse kids in our profession. Nor do most good bosses force standards onto others that they don't hold themselves to. Having success doesn't mean someone is not a shit human being.

Racer and Strickland, you are confusing excellence and success. The two are not the same. You are also ignoring in your evaluation that Knight ran a clean program for decades when, as Ph has observed, there are no virgins in college basketball. And you are also ignoring how loyal Knight was to his players and how much he helped them beyond college, and how much most of his players appreciated all that he did for them, and not just as basketball players. In light of this, it is difficult to maintain that Bob Knight is some loathsome human being.

Be honest, would anybody here seriously change their opinion of Leonardo da Vinici, or Jim Thorpe for that matter, if we learned that sometimes he lost his temper and hit somebody. Many great people have personal character flaws - don't we all - but that does not detract from their professional exellence.

I cannot take credit for that famous boards Bob Ryan quote.

The Bob Ryan parody account versus RJ fight on the Scout boards was going places before Naz shut it down.

You're missing the point. Nobody is saying that Knight did not have an awesome record or was not a successful basketball coach. That's as undeniable as facts come.

BKF's portrayal of him as a saint is crap, though, and both you and I know it. Bob Knight is many things, but good person he is not. I don't think good people do the things that he did in positions of power that he held. That said, you're right: I wish that Buzz would coach a game in which the product on the floor was more appealing than cat vomit; likewise, if Buzz choked somebody on this team, threw a chair, or something of Knight's caliber, he'd be gone in 5 seconds flat.

Now that that straw man is out of the way, his broadcasting prowess is a matter of opinion.

I don't see how my pointing out that excellence and success are not the same is a strawman. You can't possibly believe that they are.

I don't think BKF portrays him as a saint. Everybody knows that Bob Knight is no saint. But if you want to evaluate a man fairly consider his virtues as well as his faults. And Knight's virtues considerably outweigh his faults.

You can enjoy which ever color man you like. I think Knight is the best.

Most of us don't physically and mentally abuse kids in our profession. Nor do most good bosses force standards onto others that they don't hold themselves to. Having success doesn't mean someone is not a shit human being.

I've never met anybody that always lived entirely up to his own standards. Knight is no exception. (And yes, I have met him.) No he is not a shit of a human being. The very positive relations Knight had with most of his players, during and after college, contradict your assertion. As does the fact that he ran a clean program for decades when almost no one else did.

I don't see how my pointing out that excellence and success are not the same is a strawman. You can't possibly believe that they are.

I don't think BKF portrays him as a saint. Everybody knows that Bob Knight is no saint. But if you want to evaluate a man fairly consider his virtues as well as his faults. And Knight's virtues considerably outweigh his faults.

Here is your original post:

You made the assertion that Knight is the best coach in his era (which is substantiated by his record) and as a commentator (which is a matter of opinion that I know some share and some do not).

Most of us would consider ourselves lucky and skillful to have approached his accomplishments professionally, sure. OK. I can buy that.

Here's my point, though (and you're welcome to disagree with it):

If getting to that point means employing verbal and physical harassment, intimidation, and abuse sustained over a long period of time to people I was hired to lead, mentor, and coach, then please excuse me while I accept the shame of not attaining the same heights as Mr. Knight. Occupying positions of power means using that power to better yourself and the people around you. It's not a case of "pussification of America," but rather, Knight was just a bully who got away with it because there wasn't anybody or any entity capable of stopping him until Brand put a merciful end to it.

Likewise, because Knight was smart enough to not do anything overtly sketchy, we have no idea whether he did or did not do anything sketchy, either on the recruiting or academic side of things. Given that nobody from that or any era of basketball is clean, given what we know about guys with "clean" reputations like K and his ilk, etc. I'm going to caution against the Knight crew throwing stones in what may be a glass mansion. It's speculation, sure, but it's not exactly misguided.

Knight was a masterful coach; he was a horrible human being. That is and was the point. Most agree with you - myself included - about Knight's merits in terms of W-Ls, x's and o's, and the product he put out on the floor.

A) Bobby Knight got great results as a coach at Indiana. There is no denying that, no matter how you feel about him personally.

B) BKF has stated in the past that he would cheer for a Bobby Knight team over a team that his own son played on... so you may underestimate what kind of regard he holds Knight in.

C) Can we just get back to talking about how ridiculous it is that Louisville rehired Petrino instead of letting bkf hijack yet another thread with his nonsense?

So....back to virgins....

Pretty cool being married for 46 years by the way, BKF. Congrats

Here is your original post:

You made the assertion that Knight is the best coach in his era (which is substantiated by his record) and as a commentator (which is a matter of opinion that I know some share and some do not).

Most of us would consider ourselves lucky and skillful to have approached his accomplishments professionally, sure. OK. I can buy that.

Here's my point, though (and you're welcome to disagree with it):

If getting to that point means employing verbal and physical harassment, intimidation, and abuse sustained over a long period of time to people I was hired to lead, mentor, and coach, then please excuse me while I accept the shame of not attaining the same heights as Mr. Knight. Occupying positions of power means using that power to better yourself and the people around you. It's not a case of "pussification of America," but rather, Knight was just a bully who got away with it because there wasn't anybody or any entity capable of stopping him until Brand put a merciful end to it.

Likewise, because Knight was smart enough to not do anything overtly sketchy, we have no idea whether he did or did not do anything sketchy, either on the recruiting or academic side of things. Given that nobody from that or any era of basketball is clean, given what we know about guys with "clean" reputations like K and his ilk, etc. I'm going to caution against the Knight crew throwing stones in what may be a glass mansion. It's speculation, sure, but it's not exactly misguided.

Knight was a masterful coach; he was a horrible human being. That is and was the point. Most agree with you - myself included - about Knight's merits in terms of W-Ls, x's and o's, and the product he put out on the floor.

I think that we will just have to disagree that Knight was a horrible human being. You - and you are not alone - have expanded beyond all reason one aspect of his personality. Yes, he could be a bully. Teaching, coaching, parenting are carrot and stick operations. Show me a great coach who was not feared by his players. In judging Knight as a person, you are way overemphasizing one aspect of his personality and ignoring others. I don't think you would want people to judge you by grossly inflating one of your flaws and igonoring many of your virtues. None of us would.

A) Bobby Knight got great results as a coach at Indiana. There is no denying that, no matter how you feel about him personally.

B) BKF has stated in the past that he would cheer for a Bobby Knight team over a team that his own son played on... so you may underestimate what kind of regard he holds Knight in.

C) Can we just get back to talking about how ridiculous it is that Louisville rehired Petrino instead of letting bkf hijack yet another thread with his nonsense?

I agree, Louisville is being ridiculous. Petrino is an insincere careerist. He's not worth much time, save perhaps to poke fun at. I hope he flops on his second try.

Living here in Louisville, it is interesting hearing the different opinions of Petrino. I think the fanbase is mostly supportive of the hire, but there is definitely a sense of caution. The Cards are very excited about joining the ACC, but the fear of facing the likes of Clemson and FSU without Bridgewater and Strong at the helm played into the hiring of Petrino. Jurich is denying that, but it is absurd to believe that. But Jurich has a good track record (minus Kragthorpe hire) so most are trusting that he knows what he is doing.

I'm no saint and I understand in big time football things are rarely squeaky clean, but this is amazing. World class scumbag. Apparently they kicked out a lot of his players from UL after he left the last time. Hmm.. weird. They think all of a sudden ole Bobby is going to clean himself up? And I nearly choked when he said UL is a destination job...like the last time you were there and left huh? He even kept a straight face when he said it..

I'm no saint and I understand in big time football things are rarely squeaky clean, but this is amazing. World class scumbag. Apparently they kicked out a lot of his players from UL after he left the last time. Hmm.. weird. They think all of a sudden ole Bobby is going to clean himself up? And I nearly choked when he said UL is a destination job...like the last time you were there and left huh? He even kept a straight face when he said it..

Louisville has changed since he's left. It has attracted a lot more talent, including the projected #1 overall draft pick. The school has shown a commitment to its top 3 athletic programs, and they've moved to a better conference.

#Petrino is the truth. This is coup and smart move by the "Ville.
Dude can flat out coach. #wehadachance #petrinoforeva #shitjustgotreal

Back