• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Louisville - Wake Forest Game Thread

Alex Bachman was awful. The drops were bad but the fair catch was just dumb.

Alex Bachman was awful. The drops were bad but the fair catch was just dumb.

How the heck is he ahead of Tyree or Jonathan Williams on the depth chart? Heck why not put Chuck Wade in when Brent got dinged?

The ACC has some shitty teams. Deacs are awful but should have 2 conference wins.

The ACC has some shitty teams. Deacs are awful but should have 2 conference wins.

Louisville isn't great, but a win last night on national TV would've been something to hang our hat on for this season showing improvement in our record despite playing a tougher schedule than last year. Of course in typical Wake fashion we blew it.

How the heck is he ahead of Tyree or Jonathan Williams on the depth chart? Heck why not put Chuck Wade in when Brent got dinged?

That was my exact thought during the game. Maybe Backman will develop into a nice receiver down the line, but it certainly appears that he isn't ready as a true frosh. At least those 2 guys have actually made plays on the field. When we are on offense, I feel like our coaches are constantly trying to put square pieces into round holes.

Bachman must have earned some playing time in practice or something.

Maybe it all stems from the OL, but the lack of poise of this team is astounding. Seems like we're all thumbs and two left feet. This season is much more discouraging than last season (which was to be expected).

Missed the first half for kid obligations, so the blown lead was probably my fault. Watched second half in real time and then DVR'd the less discouraging parts.

A lot of missed opportunities, but none bigger than failing to lash a blow-up doll to the back of the Deacon Harley on the way in the gate. It's like W&B couldn't part with her for a single night for the good of the order. That guy....

Both of these quarterbacks are capable, exciting athletes. I agree with Ph: Wolford's tackle after that INT showed me he wants it as bad as anyone on this team. We've just got to upgrade to below adequate playcalling. Throwing over the middle in field goal range with a struggling quarterback-WR rhythm down a single point late is just dumber than dumb. As poor as those throws all were, the fact that we were taking those chances is even more disappointing. TE looks like the second coming of John Terishinski. Not sure why he isn't thrown to three times a possession, minimum. Other than that, roll the pocket and give the QB two choices: an open receiver or the trombone player. Running game is abysmal but if we used the tools we have correctly (including rolling Hinton out and let him make plays with his legs), we'd probably open some holes for a traditional running game.

The pieces are there and the fight is there; just need some judgment in how we use the tools.

Some of the same things I was thinking last night. Was Serigne being doubled?

Last edited:
I too was hoping to win with a FG and would have preferred us to just try to get in FG range rather than try a Home Run shot. But how many times have we all complained about Grobe being too conservative and always just going for a FG, Didn't work out and I lost a lot fo sleep last night, but they did get aggressive. Brighter days are ahead, if we can some good OL men

I too was hoping to win with a FG and would have preferred us to just try to get in FG range rather than try a Home Run shot. But how many times have we all complained about Grobe being too conservative and always just going for a FG, Didn't work out and I lost a lot fo sleep last night, but they did get aggressive. Brighter days are ahead, if we can some good OL men

This is true; my same thought when I saw folks second guessing the plays. We're always "be aggressive" until the aggressive doesn't work out. What we really mean is we want to be aggressive and actually succeed. Clawson is usually safe, and I don't know if it was the staff or Wolford that decided to go long, but sometimes you just have to accept that the team didn't execute and leave it at that.

^^^ And it isn't like Weaver is automatic from 40 plus anyway.

And I wouldn't have felt comfortable with a 2 point lead there.

Right there with you. I get very emotionally invested in Wake football and basketball, I'm for Wake in everything, but obviously those are the high profile sports. My 69 year old mother called her 45 year old son to "check" on me because she knew how hard I take it when we lose like that. Got to believe brighter days are ahead, this is a very young team and pretty talented in some spots, just hard to be patient. Seems like we're constantly having to be patient. Just feel really bad for guys like Chubb and Kinal, those guys deserve some success.

We aren't good enough for me to lose any sleep over games.

We aren't good enough for me to lose any sleep over games.

Well what bothers me is not getting a win last night when it was right there in front of us for the taking. Last week I didn't like, but certainly didn't lose any sleep over it, we got our butts kicked. Last night we should've won and just blew it.

Good point. I did more times than I want to revisit.

Lol. Why even have replay?

That TD call (and it being upheld) was fucking bullshit.

5 turnovers in one half

Wake. Forest. Football.

Yup. We needed one score in the second half to win that game, and we shit the bed with ineptitude.

The rest of the schedule is brutal as fuck. It's not going to be fun.

Kinal will break all the records.

That TD replay was terrible. Plays like that happen all the time and they are always overturned. There is no way under the laws of physics that the ball crossed the plane before he was down when it just barely crossed the plane when his entire body was flat on the ground

Cutcliff had a couple 2-9, 3-8 seasons at Duke before turning a corner and their squads had quite a few close demoralizing losses. I can guarantee you clawson will get us there... Trust me I want it now too but it's gonna be four to five years before we become a contender... It will happen under Clawson.

Back