• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Louisville - Wake Forest Game Thread

Cutcliff had a couple 2-9, 3-8 seasons at Duke before turning a corner and their squads had quite a few close demoralizing losses. I can guarantee you clawson will get us there... Trust me I want it now too but it's gonna be four to five years before we become a contender... It will happen under Clawson.

Cutcliff didn't have a winning season until his 6th season. His 5th season they were 6-7 losing the Belk Bowl.

That TD replay was terrible. Plays like that happen all the time and they are always overturned. There is no way under the laws of physics that the ball crossed the plane before he was down when it just barely crossed the plane when his entire body was flat on the ground

The booth official was probably told to make sure Louisville got the calls, lose to us and they may not get bowl eligible. I used to think theories like that we're crazy, now I don't.

The booth official was probably told to make sure Louisville got the calls, lose to us and they may not get bowl eligible. I used to think theories like that we're crazy, now I don't.

I agree with this. In a game with a number of "unfortunate" calls, this was the most unfortunate by far. There is no way that was a touchdown.

I do think the league office influences calls. It's the UNC culture.

On the td replay, it may not have been a score, but they would have punched it in anyway.

And as for being more aggressive, that's fine but you have to read the situation. Did the coaches honestly survey the scene and think Wolford was in a great rhythm to step up and make that play? You do actually have to play conservative if it's plain as day to everyone that a long pass over the middle had little chance of working. Add to that you have them on their heels and are already close to FG range... It is so shortsighted.

This is not a commentary on Coach Clawson or Wake Forest at all. But it's so annoying to bring up Cutcliffe/Duke rebuild to justify patience with other coaches.

Guess what? There are tons of coaches that sucked their first four years that just plain suck. Of course you can find a few examples of coaches that were horrible for years but turned out to be good. But you can't use these few success stories to justify having patience with all coaches. It's just lazy analysis / not useful.

Haven't seen it mentioned amongst the bellyaching, but Dionte Austin played a really good game starting in place of Gaulden, and Brad Watson was solid again. Feeling better about our cornerback play. Baby steps.

giphy.gif

Elko is legit. Our defenses will be good under this staff.

I think that's correct but we will miss the seniors on this unit.

Chubb will definitely be missed, Taylor Harris has largely been phased out in favor of Zeek Rodney, and Janvion is a nice player, but I don't think a big loss.

On the td replay, it may not have been a score, but they would have punched it in anyway.

And as for being more aggressive, that's fine but you have to read the situation. Did the coaches honestly survey the scene and think Wolford was in a great rhythm to step up and make that play? You do actually have to play conservative if it's plain as day to everyone that a long pass over the middle had little chance of working. Add to that you have them on their heels and are already close to FG range... It is so shortsighted.

It would have been 4th down- a touchdown there would not have been a sure thing.

I kind of thought they would let it stand when they were showing the replays live during the game. It looks like the left knee (first one) kind of lands on the WFU player's leg and when the right knee (second knee) contacts the ball is stretched even with the line.

He was probably down, but it was hard to get a clear look that the left knee touched or the ball was short when the right knee touched. So I don't think it's shocking that they let it stand. It's definitely not worthy of anti WFU conspiracy theories.

This is not a commentary on Coach Clawson or Wake Forest at all. But it's so annoying to bring up Cutcliffe/Duke rebuild to justify patience with other coaches.

Guess what? There are tons of coaches that sucked their first four years that just plain suck. Of course you can find a few examples of coaches that were horrible for years but turned out to be good. But you can't use these few success stories to justify having patience with all coaches. It's just lazy analysis / not useful.

It may be annoying but I think it's justified...Duke and Wake are similar in a lot of ways and I believe Clawson is doing the things that need to be done to get there. Like Duke was when Cut. took over, we were a long, long way from being a good football team when Claw. took over. We will be good, but I think our process will be similar to Duke's trajectory instead of something like Florida's resurgence this year which was a lot earlier in the rebuild. I do think by next year we'll be bowling and you'll see a completely different program by year 4 and 5.

It's just as annoying the people who bring up the counter-examples of the coaches who just plain suck.

The real lesson is that it's too early to make a judgment either way so everyone should stop trying

Our seats are on the 3rd row on the 50 on the visitors sides The Refs definitely knew we weren't happy about that one. The Louisville players also heard several "Let's go strippers" chants.

Back