• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mad Men Season 6 returns April 7

In the opening scene w/ Peggy, her boss mentioned a guest comic on the Tonight Show had made fun of a news story about GI's in Vietnam cutting off ears of VC and hanging them around their necks.

Who was that comic? I am thinking maybe early George Carlin?

Good question.

Good question.

I am surprised that Sepinwall did not address it. It was important to the plot, because that comic's routine drove Peggy's need to revise the Super Bowl ad.

I trust Matt Weiner and Co. to do meticulous historical research, so I am sure that routine actually happened on the Tonight Show (which a character noted was guest hosted by Phyllis Diller, not by Johnny Carson himself).

I thought it was a slow moving episode. Took me three nights to finish because I fell asleep twice. They should have shown more scenes with Megan in a bikini.

how many more years of quality television will we have to experience before people understand that the first few episodes of a season are there to set things up and therefore won't be action-packed and will be a little disjointed?

how many more years of quality television will we have to experience before people understand that the first few episodes of a season are there to set things up and therefore won't be action-packed and will be a little disjointed?

Because we also watched shows like The Wire, 24, The Shield, and Justified where interesting shit happens in the first two hours other than Don banging an older lady in his building.

Several interesting things happened. C'mon.

Because we also watched shows like The Wire, 24, The Shield, and Justified where interesting shit happens in the first two hours other than Don banging an older lady in his building.

Um, the fact that you led with The Wire means your argument fails on the launch pad.

Mad Men has always followed this format. Nothing much happens in the first episode; it's about explaining what has happened while the show was off air.

Just think of really high-quality TV shows like a novel and everything will be fine.

24?

I mean, shit, I love Jack Bauer and everything, but... really?

I mean, it's a cool scene. But not included are the other boring disjointed parts of that episode. The Wire is notorious for its slow starts. Probably why it never gained the viewership it deserved.

By the way I didn't think last Sunday's episode was terrible, it just dragged along at times. It felt like they had to find a way to get everyone in, there is no reason to do that in my opinion.

By the way I didn't think last Sunday's episode was terrible, it just dragged along at times. It felt like they had to find a way to get everyone in, there is no reason to do that in my opinion.

Because people will bitch about not seeing their favorite character and wonder things like "Is Betty still fat?" and "How is Peggy doing?" and "Is Don back to cheating?" and "Is Megan famous yet?" and "Who's on creative at SCDP?"

so Pete's neighbor is the second chick casted that's from Hot Tub Time Machine (the first being Megan, who bangs Craig Robinson in the bath). hopefully lyndsy fonseca is next

Back