• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Makers Mark 46

Makers is a bit sweet for my taste. 46 is okay.

I still say knob is my current favorite that I can afford on "special occasions". Buy it probably 4 times a year. Plus I'll order it at bars.

I still say knob is my current favorite that I can afford on "special occasions". Buy it probably 4 times a year. Plus I'll order it at bars.

I saw Knob Creek had a new special offering. Uncut, unfiltered?

Good luck finding it on the shelf.

I don't know if this is sad or not, but there's a place in NYC called Astor Wines & Spirits that keeps a cabinet of really, really legit bourbons on stock (and others). I check it probably once a month or so (really good prices on bourbon that people can actually afford too) and they always have the Pappy 23-year on stock (along with the Michter's 25, some expensive ass Buffalo Trace, a couple 16+ Black Maple Hills, etc.).

Its possibly the greatest store that's ever existed. I also picked up this cheap bourbon ($21 for a fifth) called Redemption, that is excellent in Old Fashioneds and Manhattans.

I don't know if this is sad or not, but there's a place in NYC called Astor Wines & Spirits that keeps a cabinet of really, really legit bourbons on stock (and others). I check it probably once a month or so (really good prices on bourbon that people can actually afford too) and they always have the Pappy 23-year on stock (along with the Michter's 25, some expensive ass Buffalo Trace, a couple 16+ Black Maple Hills, etc.).

Its possibly the greatest store that's ever existed. I also picked up this cheap bourbon ($21 for a fifth) called Redemption, that is excellent in Old Fashioneds and Manhattans.

Pos Rep x infinity........That was my go to drink for about 6 months

If you liked the Redemption Bourbon in Manhattans, give the Redemption Rye a shot. I definitely prefer ryes to bourbons, but the Redemption Rye is currently the only whiskey I will buy for Manhattans. I've tried many other much more expensive options and keep coming back to this.

I'll be having Knob Creek this afternoon at my late lunch.

Friday at 3 PM is a great meatball sandwich with two triple Knob Creeks while only paying for one single.

I love my bartender and the owner of the bar. She pours huge drinks and he buys everyone who is there at 3 PM a drink on the house.

In the OP's price range I like Elijah Craig 18. Picking a favorite in bourbons is a really personalized exercise. There have probably been as many fights started over best bourbon as over pretty girls.

I seriously doubt it.

I'll be having Knob Creek this afternoon at my late lunch.

Friday at 3 PM is a great meatball sandwich with two triple Knob Creeks while only paying for one single.

I love my bartender and the owner of the bar. She pours huge drinks and he buys everyone who is there at 3 PM a drink on the house.

That sounds awesome.

I think the most proud my grandmother has ever been of me was when I ordered a manhattan at dinner one night. My grandparents basically attributed manhattan's to their 60+ year marriage.

Everyday my Grandfather would come home from the FBI, and she would make a shaker of manhattan's. They would sit in the dining room and talk about their respective days. The 6 kids knew that if they interrupted there would be severe repercussions.

Hooray Irish family stereotypes.

It's always good to find a bar that's operated as a semi-hobby for the owner. He owns the company that cleans beer lines in most restaurants and bars from Long Beach south.

Every day there is a lunch special for $4.25. they have a rack of baby back (only Monday-Thursday) that is too big to eat at one time for $12.95 with salad and sides.

On the anniversary of the opening of the bar it's free open bar and free food all day. Early (like 5-8) on Christmas Eve and a couple of other times during the year, he has open bar for free.

It's not surprising that doing all those things has created a very loyal following. too many business owners worry about losing a couple thousand bucks one night and fail to realize they get it back many times over.

Wrong Thread Deac? ^^^

I'm all about Blanton's. Makers too sweet. I tried some Pappy 12 year special reserve a few weeks ago. Did not like. Tasted like gasoline.

Wrong Thread Deac? ^^^

I'm all about Blanton's. Makers too sweet. I tried some Pappy 12 year special reserve a few weeks ago. Did not like. Tasted like gasoline.

There's no such thing as Pappy 12. Old Rip Van Winkle 12 is not that special, but not terrible for an inexpensive upper tier. Gasoline is a pretty ridiculous thing to call it. The Pappy 15 is good and actually a solid value, the 20 is probably one of the finest bourbons ever created, and the 23 is overpriced but also excellent. Out of the 3 even if money was no object I'd go with the 20.

Elijah 18 is interesting. I was talking to someone recently who's crazy into bourbon, and apparently it is extremely unreliable due to how they age it. So from one bottle to the next you're never quite sure what it will be like. I tried a bottle a year ago and thought it was mediocre, then I picked up another bottle 2 weeks ago and it was fantastic. For around $40 I'm not sure I've had many bourbons as good as that bottle was. But I guess the price denotes its hit-or-miss nature.

Rowan's Creek is a solid inexpensive lesser-known bourbon if you're looking for something to replace Bulleit or Woodford Reserve... Basil Hayden's and Blanton's never seem to disappoint but aren't exactly great values...

I can't believe there's been little to no mention of Booker's or Baker's.

I can't believe there's been little to no mention of Booker's or Baker's.

I have a bottle of Booker's that I've had for a year and a half that is a little less than half full. I hit it every once in awhile. At 140 proof it's not an everyday pour.

It's very cool that every bottle has a different proof.

Back