• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Malaysian Airline Flight MH370

^ Chilling

Agree, Husky, hard to understand how stolen passports don't show up in security scans or anything. The more that comes out the more it seems the plane's disappearance was an intentional act.

There was a recent mass stabbing attack by Uighur separatists at a railway station in China.
Deng Wei, his wife and 8-month-old baby were having dinner in a little restaurant in an alleyway next to this city’s main train station Saturday night when a man and a woman, both in black, came striding by, clutching large knives.

“They were headed toward the station, and I decided to follow them, at a distance. They began slashing people, and when they passed the police kiosk on the corner of the square, the officers did nothing to stop them,” Deng, 26, recalled Sunday in front of the station. “People began screaming. It was chaos.”

The attackers charged into an open-air pavilion used as a waiting area, wordlessly plunging their knives into people at random, Deng and other witnesses said. At least eight more attackers followed, rushing into the ticket sales office and cutting down people as they queued, leaving victims lying in pools of blood on the floor.
By Sunday evening, the death toll from what one newspaper affiliated with the Communist Party called “China’s 9/11” stood at 29 dead and 130 injured. More than 70 remained hospitalized in critical condition. Four attackers were also slain, shot dead by police at an intersection just in front of the station, and one woman was said to be in custody. But that meant at least five other suspects remained at large.

Authorities and witnesses said the assailants were Uighurs, a Turkic-speaking Muslim minority from northwestern China’s Xinjiang region. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but on TV, Chinese authorities displayed what they said was a black flag recovered at the scene calling for independence for the region, which some Uighurs refer to as East Turkestan.
http://www.latimes.com/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-kunming-knife-attack-china-uighur-20140302,0,6191236.story
Then again, if terrorists were responsible for this wouldn't they have been claiming credit by now?

How on earth do you get a bomb on a plane in this day and age?

images

Very little commercial cargo is screened. It's actually scary how easy it would be.

Also, how'd you like to be the next of kin of those two who got a call saying they died in a plane crash, only to find out they were still alive.

You realize the security stuff is a facade, right? It's meant to make you feel safe, not to actually make you safe. I mean, I had my 2 inch pocket knife confiscated at security a few years ago only to be handed a 4 inch steak knife at Chili's in the terminal a few minutes later. People regularly go through security with banned items, often by mistake. And you realize security agents can be bought off? Hell, explosives can be swallowed.

My kid nephew took a gross of bottle rockets with him on a flight (unbeknownst to his parents, FWIW). Wouldn't take much for a couple bombs to get on board. They better figure out wtf it was because they'll keep doing it until caught.

You realize the security stuff is a facade, right? It's meant to make you feel safe, not to actually make you safe. I mean, I had my 2 inch pocket knife confiscated at security a few years ago only to be handed a 4 inch steak knife at Chili's in the terminal a few minutes later. People regularly go through security with banned items, often by mistake. And you realize security agents can be bought off? Hell, explosives can be swallowed.

Humblebrag.

My kid nephew took a gross of bottle rockets with him on a flight (unbeknownst to his parents, FWIW). Wouldn't take much for a couple bombs to get on board. They better figure out wtf it was because they'll keep doing it until caught.

That what scares me; that this was a test run for a terrorist act and they figured out a way to bring something on board.

If it was terrorism shouldn't we have heard from a group claiming responsibility? It now seems the plane turned back towards Kuala Lumpur before they lost contact with it. Why would it do that if there was not a problem? But if there was a problem why not make radio contact? Maybe there were hijackers in the cabin.

The two people travelling on fake passports appear to have bought their tickets together.

Rupert Murdoch tweet blames it on jihadists- has he heard something that hasn't been publicly revealed?
"777crash confirms jihadists turning to make trouble for China. Chance for US to make common cause, befriend China while Russia bullies."

Where are you seeing this?

The AFP news agency quotes a senior official at the National Committee for Search and Rescue on the search for the Malaysian Airlines plane:

We received information from a Vietnamese plane saying that they found two broken objects, which seem like those of an aircraft, located about 50 miles to the south-west of Tho Chu Island.

As it is night they cannot fish them out for proper identification. They have located the position of the areas and flown back to the land.

Earlier, officials said search teams were waiting until daylight to explore what could be the first sighting of the missing plane. There is no confirmation from Kualar Lumpur or Malaysian Airlines that the debris is connected to flight MH370.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/09/malaysia-airlines-missing-plane-investigation-widens-live

Back