• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Malaysian Airline Flight MH370

It wasn't on autopilot. Looks like whoever was at the controls was trained as they used waypoints. These are latest leaks via Reuters. Looks like the plane was headed in the direction of the Middle East according to the flight path.

BirnQGVCAAEZ0It.jpg

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/14/us-malaysia-airlines-radar-exclusive-idUSBREA2D0DG20140314

If the Pentagon is saying that they believe the plane crashed into the Indian Ocean, then I believe the plane crashed into the Indian Ocean.

Could be purely coincidental, but it is suspicious that the turn happened in a problematic systems contact pocket and that the tracking systems were shut down in two separate incidents 20 minutes apart. NBC's airlines guy is a former NTSB investigator and he said there's very little chance that the plane could have landed safely somewhere. There are obviously parts of the ocean where detection would be spotty, but it seems far fetched to me that the plane could be repurposed for terrorist activities since even with the tracking systems turned off, it will be picked up by radar once it gets even remotely close to any populated areas.

What is the possibility that there was a pressure loss in the plane after the course change, the cockpit wasn't sealed, and everybody passed out and died from loss of oxygen, and the plane kept flying on autopilot until it ran out of fuel?

AKA the Payne Stewart crash.

If you went through the trouble to deactivate the tracking systems, and flew off course towards the Middle East, why would you then crash the plane 5 hours later? If it crashed, my guess is that it was unintentional.

Could there be some kind of electrical failure that would knock out the transponders but keep the auto-pilot on?

And radio, and oxygen system, etc. Basically, some sort of catastrophic failure that knocked out every system on the plane except the controls and auto-pilot. And on top of it, it would require a failure by the pilots to realize the problem and take the plane down to an altitude where there's enough oxygen before they passed out.

If you went through the trouble to deactivate the tracking systems, and flew off course towards the Middle East, why would you then crash the plane 5 hours later? If it crashed, my guess is that it was unintentional.

Or because the passengers finally said fuck this shit, a la UA flight 93 on 9/11.

I thought Stewarts plane continued on a straight course, was this not the case? Would autopilot program new points and then continue on straight lines of flight? Why would the autopilot make the turns?
AKA the Payne Stewart crash.

I thought Stewarts plane continued on a straight course, was this not the case? Would autopilot program new points and then continue on straight lines of flight? Why would the autopilot make the turns?

Yeah his plane continued straight, I was just talking about the rest of the case being the same.

Something sort of like this actually happened. In 1996, 3 people hijacked Ehtiopian Airlines flight 961, en route from Addis Ababa to Nairobi. They demanded they be flown to Australia. The airplane was carrying enough fuel for the relatively short flight which was not nearly enough fuel to make it to Australia. The pilot repeatedly pleaded to the hijackers to go somewhere else because they wouldn't make it. The hijackers didn't care; however, they couldn't fly the plane so the pilot stayed close to the African coast. When the plane finally ran out of fuel it crash landed in fairly shallow ocean off the coast of Africa.

This case appears different because it seems like whoever wanted the plane rerouted was the one actually doing the flying instead of coercing someone else to do it. That said, I can't think of a place they could have made it to that would support a landing, either with the equipment or a goverment who would be complicit in it. Those countries exist, but the plane couldn't have made it far enough.

b/c autopilot systems can do that

Back