• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

On what day should the fan base be concerned that Manning will be retained due to a lack of an announcement by the AD? Tomorrow? Next week? What are your thoughts?

On what day should the fan base be concerned that Manning will be retained due to a lack of an announcement by the AD? Tomorrow? Next week? What are your thoughts?

If we make it to the end of next week, I'll be very concerned. I'd guess they'd want to bury it on selection Sunday or next Thursday with the first games tipping off, but who knows.

Next Wednesday.
They're not going to rock the ACC Tourney boat during the event. It's just league tradition.
If we've heard nothing by next Wednesday, we should start being concerned.

Yesterday. Arrogant condescending administration. Hatch and Wellman ruined the school.

Big South.
Danny Manning isn't good enough of a coach to be in the SoCon.
I'm not joking, he isn't. They'd eat Manning alive in the SoCon.

Yup. Just looking at KP, we would be the 4th best team in the SoCon this year and that's including our advantages in facilities, recruiting to the ACC, budget, etc. If Manning was given the keys to some random SoCon school he would drive them off of a cliff too.

Tomorrow! If we don't hear something by tomorrow I will give up.

If we make it to the end of next week, I'll be very concerned. I'd guess they'd want to bury it on selection Sunday or next Thursday with the first games tipping off, but who knows.

Why would anyone want to bury this? It would be the most celebrated news for Wake basketball in years.

Timing? I'd say if we don't hear something quickly, then Manning is gone. If Wake were retaining him, I'd want to announce immediately to stop all the speculation. Wake gains nothing by delaying such news. If Wake is moving on from Manning, I would think the announcement would be made next week (not during the tournament) but Monday (16th) or Tuesday (17th) at the latest.

Timing? I'd say if we don't hear something quickly, then Manning is gone. If Wake were retaining him, I'd want to announce immediately to stop all the speculation. Wake gains nothing by delaying such news. If Wake is moving on from Manning, I would think the announcement would be made next week (not during the tournament) but Monday (16th) or Tuesday (17th) at the latest.

Last year, we lost our Tuesday ACCT game on 3/12. The email that went out to announce the press conference about Manning being retained was sent on 3/22. I'd say the longer we go past Monday/Tuesday of next week, the worse the outlook gets.

If you look at coronavirus case growth it matches badness of our outlook.
I'm not saying there's causation, but who knows, people are saying Danny is killing America. /trump

Les pointed out that if a change is coming they would want to tell the players in person. Since this is Spring Break that would not be possible before Monday. If he is being retained, however, that could be announced via a press release sooner. So this week no news is good news.

Last year, we lost our Tuesday ACCT game on 3/12. The email that went out to announce the press conference about Manning being retained was sent on 3/22. I'd say the longer we go past Monday/Tuesday of next week, the worse the outlook gets.

Last year, there were apparently extenuating circumstances including an internal battle over whether to give Manning another year. RJ argues with me, but I stand by what I was told ... the money was in place but a couple of players got to one of the big donors and said they wanted Manning to stay, that donor waffled on contributing to the buyout, and Wake retreated and threw everything down the road for one year. This year, I think the decision has been made. If Manning stays, it's better for everyone if Wake announces now. I don't think that will happen, and I think any delay (up to next week this time) favors an announcement that Manning is gone. We shall see.

Les pointed out that if a change is coming they would want to tell the players in person. Since this is Spring Break that would not be possible before Monday.

I would have met the bus with a box of his things when it got back from Greensboro.

Bz was fired/resigned on March 20, 2014 a week after WF lost to Pitt (84-55 on March 13, 2014) to end WF's season. So, if past is prologue, would say that if a move is not made by next Thursday March 19, 2020. It becomes likely that Manning stays.

Currie has to do his year-in-review meeting with Manning. I would expect the schedule date for that's a strong clue as to whether he's shitcanning Manning or not.

3s5r2n.jpg

Back