• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

Currie has to do his year-in-review meeting with Manning. I would expect the schedule date for that's a strong clue as to whether he's shitcanning Manning or not.

Why? We know Wellman always used that excuse, but that doesn't mean Currie is beholden to the practice. Normal people don't hold year-in-review meetings before they fire someone.

Why? We know Wellman always used that excuse, but that doesn't mean Currie is beholden to the practice. Normal people don't hold year-in-review meetings before they fire someone.

Yeah, a year-end meeting for someone that is getting fired is just the meeting that they get fired in.

Last year someone posted info showing other ACC coaches had been fired during the ACC tournament. Wake may not want to do that, but the conference does not seem to care.

The firing could be the total substance of the review meeting. Danny needs to be told to remove his personal stuff from the office of the head basketball coach.

Last year someone posted info showing other ACC coaches had been fired during the ACC tournament. Wake may not want to do that, but the conference does not seem to care.

I just reposted on the "Has he been fired yet?" thread... Along w/ other 2019 high major firings.

Feels like we have a window of about two weeks from now... I just don't see how it wouldn't happen this week or next (if it were going to happen).

FWIW, it has been awhile since an ACC coach has been fired for on-the-court performance. The last two coaches to leave were Buzz Williams (who left on his own to return to his home state and coach A&M), and Pitino (fired for NCAA violations). Looks like the last ACC coach to be fired for losing was Pitt firing Kevin Stallings in March 2018 after becoming the first coach in ACC history to go 0-19 against conference opponents, and only one coach was fired in the two years before that: Mark Gottfried, who fired as much for the pending NCAA investigation as he was for two losing seasons. Counting Gottfried, only two ACC coaches have been fired for losing since 2016 out of 15 openings. Lots of stability.

FWIW, it has been awhile since an ACC coach has been fired for on-the-court performance. The last two coaches to leave were Buzz Williams (who left on his own to return to his home state and coach A&M), and Pitino (fired for NCAA violations). Looks like the last ACC coach to be fired for losing was Pitt firing Kevin Stallings in March 2018 after becoming the first coach in ACC history to go 0-19 against conference opponents, and only one coach was fired in the two years before that: Mark Gottfried, who fired as much for the pending NCAA investigation as he was for two losing seasons. Counting Gottfried, only two ACC coaches have been fired for losing since 2016 out of 15 openings. Lots of stability.

Oh, what the hell...

2019:
Virginia Tech - Williams takes A&M job 4/3; Young hired 4/7

2018:
Pittsburgh - Stallings fired 3/8; Capel hired 3/27
Louisville - Announces Padgett won't return on 3/21; Mack hired 3/27

2017:
NCSU - Gottfried fired 2/18 (finished season); Keatts hired 3/17

2016:
Georgia Tech - Gregory fired 3/25; Pastner hired 4/8

2015: NONE

2014:
Wake Forest - Bz fired 3/20; Manning hired 4/4
Virginia Tech - Johnson fired 3/17; Williams hired 3/21
Boston College - Donahue fired 3/18; Christian hired 4/3

Other high major firings from last year:

B1G
Tim Miles (Nebraska) - Tue, 3/26

Pac-12
Steve Alford (UCLA) - Mid-Season
Ernie Kent (Wazzu) - Fri, 3/15
Wyking Jones (Cal) - Sun, 3/24

SEC
Billy Kennedy (A&M) - Fri, 3/15
Bryce Drew (Vandy) - Fri, 3/22
Avery Johnson (Alabama) - Sun, 3/24
Mike Anderson (Arkansas) - Tue, 3/26

Les pointed out that if a change is coming they would want to tell the players in person. Since this is Spring Break that would not be possible before Monday. If he is being retained, however, that could be announced via a press release sooner. So this week no news is good news.

What happens when they keep students home for the semester after Spring Break? Will Manning not get fired because of the coronavirus?

I hope the perception or reality of the situation doesn't get out that WFU can't raise 12-15 mil to get rid of a coach. I mean that is absurd. FSU (yes I know they are a lot bigger school) ate 18 mil and didn't even give it a second thought knowing if they didn't make a move, they were going to become irrelevant in football on the scale of Tenn and Nebraska. Hell they may already be there and not coming back.

If Wake can't or won't do anything here maybe the ACC should just boot us out and we could be a Socon team because that sure is the way LOWF is acting.

Even if we can’t raise the money, given the guaranteed ACCN money coming down the pipe, we should be able to call up BoA and get a pretty reasonable loan to cover this.

Eh, I only mentioned because Les cited it in one of his articles from yesterday.
If he has one scheduled, it might be a good indication things are not going as we want.
I'm also quite aware it could very easily (and hopefully) his exit interview.

Last edited:
What's the loan for mr currie?

I'm shit canning a coach tomorrow.

Les pointed out that if a change is coming they would want to tell the players in person. Since this is Spring Break that would not be possible before Monday. If he is being retained, however, that could be announced via a press release sooner. So this week no news is good news.
This line of thinking has a flaw, I think. If the players are truly long gone already, they would have either planned on losing yesterday or have very flexible travel plans. In reality, wouldn't the players have plans to at least be around for another day or two at a minimum, in the case that they won in the ACCT?

In all seriousness I would get behind a protest outside of the AD offices. Problem would be getting enough people for it to make a difference.

Hey! Ho! Manning's gotta GO! AMIRITE??!

Tennessee fans went crazy enough to prevent a way-above average college football coach from being hired, just because they thought they could do better. We can't even go crazy enough to get the worst coach in ACC history fired. We suck. MFF.

is there any precedent to an athletic department taking out a loan to pay a buyout?

In all seriousness I would get behind a protest outside of the AD offices. Problem would be getting enough people for it to make a difference.

Hey! Ho! Manning's gotta GO! AMIRITE??!

Also private property, so that would get shut down by the police with the quickness. However, the fact that it even happens makes a point.

Back