• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

Because he is a shitty coach and has not been able to do the job for which he was to be paid.

It's amazing to me how many people do not feel that you should have to provide value for the money you are paid.

It’s amazing to me that you feel like he’s not entitled to the details of a contract that both parties willingly signed.

While Hatch and Currie use the Covid-19 pandemic (admittedly an incredibly serious and in some cases deadly problem) as a smokescreen for ongoing negotiations, the complete radio silence from Currie demonstrating visible support for Manning as our coach speaks volumes. This suggests to me that things have reached the point of no return for DM given that his boss no longer backs him in the public venue (or within the coaching world for that matter). Given that recruiting is on hold for everyone until Covid-19 wanes, this buys Currie more time to hash out both the details regarding DM's departure as well as quietly working on quality candidates interested in replacing him.

if payment terms are an issue, reassign his ass to a basement windowless office. if he wants to play hardball to the express terms of the contract then I have to believe there is room for us to do the same.

I’m more upset with Wellman than Manning. Any chance we could prove Wellman wasn’t of sound mind when it was written?

With that said, Manning should have some awareness and humility for his shitty coaching the last six years and at least be willing to accept a lengthier payout.

How awkward when manning and Wellman pass each other walking their dogs in the neighborhood.

“I gave you a guaranteed contract and you were supposed to prove me right. It was my last chance to redeem my legacy.”

“That’s life.”

Or then again maybe they just (air?) high-five because they played the system, and in spite of both destroying their reputations they’re walking away very rich men.

We want to "return" our DFL coach- we're not satisfied with Wellman's horrible purchase:

2014–15 13–19 5–13 12th
2015–16 11–20 2–16 13th
2016–17 19–14 9–9 10th
2017–18 11–20 4–14 14th
2018–19 11–20 4–14 13th
2019-20 13 -18  6-14 13th

We want to "return" our DFL coach- we're not satisfied with Wellman's horrible purchase:

2014–1513–195–1312th
2015–1611–202–1613th
2016–1719–149–9 10th
2017–1811–204–1414th
2018–1911–204–1413th
2019-20 13 -18  6-14 13th

#sauce or #vibez?

if payment terms are an issue, reassign his ass to a basement windowless office. if he wants to play hardball to the express terms of the contract then I have to believe there is room for us to do the same.

If the contract says he is head basketball coach, that won't help.

They probably worked out some deal for when Manning was inevitably fired. Wellman gets a cut of the buyout just like Manning's agent. The contract extension was so bizarre that there has to be something more to it.

Edited to add: I don't think I really believe this.

The plan was probably always to wait until after the ACC tourney and selection Sunday to announce the firing. Just because everything was canceled doesn’t mean the plan for manning has changed. For me, Thursday is the day to start wondering/worrying wtf is going on.

Feels like only a matter of time at this point. I still think we’ll get an announcement tomorrow.

So, Wellman tried to talk DM into leaving last year but DM wouldn’t budge on the number? Whatever. DM has a technical right to the contractual amount dumbass Wellman promised, but I hope he knew how much people wanted to be rid of him every single day he shuffled into the gym. I also hope he’s aware, at some level, that he didn’t really deliver what Wellman expected of him (to get that money) even if, technically, performance expectations weren’t spelled out. DFL isn’t worth 3 mil a year, Danny.

I don't know. I am paid a whole lot less to be disliked when I shuffle each day into my job. I am pretty sure I wouldn't stop shuffling in if I was being paid more.

Feels like only a matter of time at this point. I still think we’ll get an announcement tomorrow.

This is where i am too. Bigger q then is who’s next and does Currie already have the answer lined up or is he starting from scratch.

Back