• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

Conor: Danny, it must be hard knowing that neither the fan base nor the athletic department wants you to as Wake's head basketball coach.
Danny: Conor, I said they can't afford to fire me

Stick a broom in a bucket of cement and we have a better shot than with our current head coach.

Can confirm.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you guys, Just saying that if Currie announces he is coming back that is what probably happened and Currie will find support in some metric to say the program is improving

Yeah, give is to a Wes Miller kind of guy if we have to. Miller would take this job in a second and he'd be cheap. I'd take that over Danny 10 times outta 10
And 10 years from now when he's on his 2nd extension despite his best season being a 12 seed in the NCAA, he and his family and the 10 other fans can sit anywhere in the Joel that they want!

Yeah, give is to a Wes Miller kind of guy if we have to. Miller would take this job in a second and he'd be cheap. I'd take that over Danny 10 times outta 10

This is the right answer and what should have been done last year regardless of what DM is owed.

You could give a lower profile coach a lower salary, high incentive contract that would guarantee Wake to be better off financially.

You would get an immediate boost in ticket sales that would cover the new coaches salary. If he performs well and gets the incentives, then Wake would be bringing in a ton more money.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you guys, Just saying that if Currie announces he is coming back that is what probably happened and Currie will find support in some metric to say the program is improving

i honestly can't think of a single one. Record stinks, attendance is down, no one graduates - i literally don't know what you could say. we beat a good but not great Duke team? no coaches killed anyone?

Currie needs to go. Why did we hire him anyway?

No one really knows if DM is going to be fired or retained. We will know when we will know.

I think the events of the last 2 weeks have made it less likely than before that. We don't live in a vacuum. The world is a different place than it was 2 weeks ago.

Markets are down almost a third from where they were a couple of weeks ago. it is unrealistic to expect that not to have real world effects. Assuming 'big donors' were willing to pony up money (and that is something I never believe until I see it actually happen), they may no longer have the financial resources or desire to do that today. Every business and university is going to be more careful in spending money in the short term until the crisis passes.

Also, even who is willing to move to take a job right now. Most people are hunkered down. That's going to include most potential coaching candidates.
Recruiting is likely going to be a mess this year. The Spring AAU season and evaluation period are not happening. NBA insiders are saying the best case scenario for restarting is mid-to-late June. What if the June-July recruiting period gets cancelled. How do you evaluate players. How do you create relationships with prospects.

I sort of feel like most of sports is just in a holding pattern right now.

At this point i don't think a final decision has been made either way, otherwise I think we would know what it is. I do think at least 1 coach (Richard Pitino) has likely kept his job for another year because of what has occurred. So far no power 6 school has announced a coaching change yet. It may be some time before any of them make a decision to do that.

Maybe we find out in the next day or so. Or maybe no decision is made for weeks or months because everyone is in a holding pattern. Just have to wait and see.

This year

giphy.gif

All of this Currie hate is unfounded at this point. Manning has not been retained. All of the quasi-credible info we have is suggesting he will be let go this week, perhaps as early as today. Relax and let this play out. If he retains Manning then fire away.

ACC Fan Network
@ACCFanNetwork
·
3m
Hearing strong rumors that Danny Manning will be out at Wake within a couple days- early candidates include Beilien and Matta but the safest bet is Steve Forbes

ACC Fan Network
@ACCFanNetwork
·
3m
Hearing strong rumors that Danny Manning will be out at Wake within a couple days- early candidates include Beilien and Matta but the safest bet is Steve Forbes

source: OGBoards.com

Back