• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

Nothing would surprise me anymore. This could be plausible, along with the Childress angle and giving Currie time to sort it out. That said it’s a waste of a year and honestly a massive disservice to these players if nothing else. Having a presser to announce you *aren’t* firing the coach is the most LOWF thing I’ve ever seen (and believe me there is lots of competition)

Seriously.

I’m sorry I wasted my time.

I’ll mention something I heard yesterday that I don’t fully believe, but that kind of jives with what I think RJ has been trying to articulate.

The gist of it is that the contract numbers were a smokescreen to buy Danny another year (or more) because he does things the right way and is supported by those that have the power to keep him around.

That the real number isn’t so onerous.

Like I said, I don’t know if I buy that. It flies in the face of logic and sounds more like a conspiracy theory. But then I think about Hatch and how the consensus is that he really likes Manning.

Seriously.

I’m sorry I wasted my time.

I’ll mention something I heard yesterday that I don’t fully believe, but that kind of jives with what I think RJ has been trying to articulate.

The gist of it is that the contract numbers were a smokescreen to buy Danny another year (or more) because he does things the right way and is supported by those that have the power to keep him around.

That the real number isn’t so onerous.

Like I said, I don’t know if I buy that. It flies in the face of logic and sounds more like a conspiracy theory. But then I think about Hatch and how the consensus is that he really likes Manning.

Much of what you said is accurate. But not the the reason why Danny is still here. That I have posted. Of course, most of the Hate RJ Forever crew wouldn't believe me if I said. "Today is Saturday".

Would be typical WF to do something to give us further reason to resent a coach and administration beyond the real reasons that already exist.

I understand this theory and thanks for sharing; who knows, it may be true. I'm still guessing that the buyout is not a smokescreen, though. The Athletic Dept has taken terrible heat for it not to be legit. They could have easily corrected the narrative and I am guessing Wellman's ego probably would have driven him to if it were possible. Usually smoke = fire.

Next few weeks:

Manning beats Pitt... loses to NC St on Wednesday
He is let go over the weekend, most likely Friday.
Initial buzz is all about Beilein and most of the fan base gets excited. Small % uses his age as a negative and a few posters think his thug slip will prevent any good recruits to come to Wake
NCAA tournament begins and word that BC has landed Beilein leaks.
Wake watches ETSU lose their first game in a close battle and then hires Forbes a couple days later. About 75% of fans are optimistic and many justify his younger age as a preference over Beilein. 25% now hate Currie and already start to cheer for Forbes’ failure to prove the other 75% they are smarter.

Interesting that some feel Manning could be retained for another year. We all are aware WFU as a private institution can pretty much do what they please regarding the hiring and firing of their coaching staff. Since Dino was fired the income from what had been probably the most profitable revenue source has been dismal. Many of you have read Conor's story published this week on the turnstiles aren't turning like they use too. Reread the story and consider whether you feel Wake will give Manning another year. From strictly a business perspective I don't think so but knowing Wake and what happened at the end of last season expect the unexpected.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...cle_e2184f06-e758-5629-baf2-4d1897616afa.html

I’ve still yet to hear anything about these buyout talks being nothing but an unsubstantiated rumor, if not outright lie.

Here’s something you can take to the bank. You won’t hear anything official from anyone until at least Thursday.

Look at all the local talent we have lost that we would have gotten had we not been a shit show the last 10 years. Harry Giles and Jalen Cone just to name two.

If RJ was a "sauce" he would be either South Carolina mustard sauce or Alabama white sauce

Have to believe that Currie does care as a Wake alum when Wake was good.

He wants us to be good again. Keeping the faith that we'll have a new and better coach in place in mere days. :dancindeac:

Sounds about right to me
Next few weeks:

Initial buzz is all about Beilein and most of the fan base gets excited. Small % uses his age as a negative and a few posters think his thug slip will prevent any good recruits to come to Wake
Wake watches ETSU lose their first game in a close battle and then hires Forbes a couple days later. About 75% of fans are optimistic and many justify his younger age as a preference over Beilein. 25% now hate Currie and already start to cheer for Forbes’ failure to prove the other 75% they are smarter.

I’ll leave it at this. I still have my contacts. In the past, I’ve noticed that I’ve heard certain things regarding these types of updates leaked on the boards by 2-3 posters beforehand. I’ve gotten the same info around the same time (either just before or immediately after).

Now, I’ve looked through all of the pages on this thread and haven’t heard a peep from any of these individuals. So, I’m going to take that as the same info that I have. There has been no final decision yet as to whether we will part ways or not, and if we had begun these talks, that decision would definitely have already been made.

I’ll leave it at this. I still have my contacts. In the past, I’ve noticed that I’ve heard certain things regarding these types of updates leaked on the boards by 2-3 posters beforehand. I’ve gotten the same info around the same time (either just before or immediately after).

Now, I’ve looked through all of the pages on this thread and haven’t heard a peep from any of these individuals. So, I’m going to take that as the same info that I have. There has been no final decision yet as to whether we will part ways or not, and if we had begun these talks, that decision would definitely have already been made.

You are wrong.

If RJ was a "sauce" he would be either South Carolina mustard sauce or Alabama white sauce

Each of those is gross. I can't believe you miss the obvious answer- Jamaican Jerk. Tangy, sweet and spicy...

Next few weeks:

Beilien might not come here, or he might. But one thing is certain.
He ain't gonna go to Boston College.

With all this talk of “sources”, I think we should collectively come up with a way to grade the quality of sources. That way a poster can protect their sources’ identity, while also letting us uniformed posters know how much we should trust them. I would propose:

Grade 1 Source: John Currie, Nathaniel Hatch, Mit Shah, or Danny Manning
Grade 2: An AD employee
Grade 3: An athletics donor that is not one of the super big ones, but definitely donates enough to know shit.
Grade 4: Someone that was at one point involved in Deacon Club or whatever and knew stuff then, but no longer really does.
Grade 5: Someone who lives within 10 miles of campus
Grade 6: Someone who really, really loves Wake sports

With all this talk of “sources”, I think we should collectively come up with a way to grade the quality of sources. That way a poster can protect their sources’ identity, while also letting us uniformed posters know how much we should trust them. I would propose:

Grade 1 Source: John Currie, Nathaniel Hatch, Mit Shah, or Danny Manning
Grade 2: An AD employee
Grade 3: An athletics donor that is not one of the super big ones, but definitely donates enough to know shit.
Grade 4: Someone that was at one point involved in Deacon Club or whatever and knew stuff then, but no longer really does.
Grade 5: Someone who lives within 10 miles of campus
Grade 6: Someone who really, really loves Wake sports

My sauces are grade 7: pure speculation.

So Mr. Wellman hasn't told you anything while you do his daily ball washing?

Back