• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

I am hoping we have hit peak panic but maybe not.

The Swine Flu killed 12,000 in the US alone. The Corona virus is at 5,000 world wide and China appears to be recovering.

This is obviously serious but the panic is nuts and may be more harmful than the disease before this ends.

people keep comparing a point in time of an obviously increasing problem to a concluded event

China is recovering for now in number of new cases - it's important to consider the measures they implemented to get from where they were to where they are now. schools, business, public transportation all shut down. Way, way, WAY more draconian than anything being considered in the U.S.

Italy had 9,000 reported cases three days ago - this morning they have 15,000 and their 60 million citizens are still locked down

Spain had 1,500 three days ago; now just under 4,000

Germany? 1,300 to 3,000
United States? 750 to 1,700
France? 1,400 to 2,900

this thing hasn't come close to peaking globally or in the U.S.

feel free to track cases here

back to Manning

Last edited:
except, I believe, the report is that the buyout for Wake is the full remaining value of his contract

still haven't heard that from an infallible source, though I haven't been keeping up the last few days

Right. Because the contract is full guaranteed. We owe him $x per year until the end of the contract term.

Fire Manning. Don’t hire anyone because we don’t even know if we will play in the fall.

I'm sure the athletic department is doing the same math as every other business right now and trying to get a grip on the financial impact of the Coronavirus. How much of a revenue shortfall do you think Wake will absorb because of Coronavirus... it's not nothing given the revenue sharing in the ACC... and then we have to make a 9 figure pay out on top? And how long does this last?

I have no idea if that's is actually happening here, but if I'm speculating - and everyone here is - then I'm saying that their grand plan to pay for it has been blown up and they're back to the drawing board.

In the meantime, keep calm and wash your damn hands

Right. Because the contract is full guaranteed. We owe him $x per year until the end of the contract term.

We don't know if the contract contains an accelerated payments clause that would require much greater payment sooner if he is fired. There are examples of contracts with such provisions that were posted previously.

Wellman may have wanted a big buyout if Danny left to take another job. Danny's agent may have insisted on the reciprocal: Wake owes Danny a big payout due upon firing.

fa2535f29734d76e16c14056fc25a12a.jpg

Currie from the Gold Rush Magazine. The celebration he is referring to is the GT game, 25 year ACCT Championship celebration.

Want to and having funds to do are two different things. Wake isn't Texas when it comes to having resources for removing under performing coaches.

This article from ESPN goes into alot of detail about how COVID-19 is affecting college sports. The last part talks about the coaching carousel.
If anything AD's have more to deal with right now than normal. I would now be surprised if anything happened in the next couple of weeks.
Revenue is going to become an issue for alot of schools. I expect very little fundraising is going to go on over the next few months. There is going to be no big get togethers of people for the next couple of months. Also, how much money do you think the 'big donors' have lost over the last 3 weeks and does that impact their ability or desire to provide funds.
I expect sports is going to be very much on the back burner for the next few months. As the article mentions if there is any coaching changes at all they are likely to come late in the cycle.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b.../what-know-know-ncaa-tournament-cancellations

How do the cancellations of the basketball tournaments and most spring sports impact coaching employment decisions?

It's too soon to tell, but the men's basketball coaching carousel should be much lighter than normal. Unless there's an obvious need for a dismissal, athletic directors and university boards likely will be cautious about making changes after such an abrupt and unusual end to the season. Also, they have many more things to worry about with their entire athletic programs essentially shut down for the spring.

"Has to be slower than expected," a coaching agent said. "Really bad look [to make a move now]. There could be a late cycle once things calm on the virus front."

So far, no power conference programs have made changes. Eleven schools have fired their coaches and two -- Evansville (Todd Lickliter) and Idaho (Zac Claus) -- already have hired replacements. What does Texas do with Shaka Smart? Texas had been seen as the trigger school for the 2020 coaching cycle, but few would be shocked if athletic director Chris Del Conte tables this decision for another year.

This article from ESPN goes into alot of detail about how COVID-19 is affecting college sports. The last part talks about the coaching carousel.
If anything AD's have more to deal with right now than normal. I would now be surprised if anything happened in the next couple of weeks.
Revenue is going to become an issue for alot of schools. I expect very little fundraising is going to go on over the next few months. There is going to be no big get togethers of people for the next couple of months. Also, how much money do you think the 'big donors' have lost over the last 3 weeks and does that impact their ability or desire to provide funds.
I expect sports is going to be very much on the back burner for the next few months. As the article mentions if there is any coaching changes at all they are likely to come late in the cycle.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b.../what-know-know-ncaa-tournament-cancellations

How do the cancellations of the basketball tournaments and most spring sports impact coaching employment decisions?

It's too soon to tell, but the men's basketball coaching carousel should be much lighter than normal. Unless there's an obvious need for a dismissal, athletic directors and university boards likely will be cautious about making changes after such an abrupt and unusual end to the season. Also, they have many more things to worry about with their entire athletic programs essentially shut down for the spring.

"Has to be slower than expected," a coaching agent said. "Really bad look [to make a move now]. There could be a late cycle once things calm on the virus front."

So far, no power conference programs have made changes. Eleven schools have fired their coaches and two -- Evansville (Todd Lickliter) and Idaho (Zac Claus) -- already have hired replacements. What does Texas do with Shaka Smart? Texas had been seen as the trigger school for the 2020 coaching cycle, but few would be shocked if athletic director Chris Del Conte tables this decision for another year.

Take these words with a grain of salt as they were said by a coach's agent. I understand what he is saying but his job is to keep coaches employed. Once this virus thing calms down in a few weeks, wheels will start to move.

It may not calm down.

Want to and having funds to do are two different things. Wake isn't Texas when it comes to having resources for removing under performing coaches.

Even more reason to shake your head at an AD giving any coach a fully guaranteed contract, let alone one that had done very little to deserve it.

The sad truth is that no matter what the reason, whether it be a virus, Dr. Hatch, the "powers that be", NOTHING will bring fans back until you either consistently win or make a change. Manning has been a head coach for 8 years and has lost at least 13 games every season. I would argue that except for a 10 game run in his second season at Tulsa and a phenom that turned out to be Collins, Manning has proven that he is not a good coach. He is suited to be an assistant who develops big men and that's about it.
The fanbase and the students need new energy. I would also suggest as others have that the loss of revenue via concessions, ticket sales, parking etc. cost us far more than the buyout will. Leaving him in place will do far more damage than removing him.

Yeah, Currie has always said the right things... But is that any different than Manning saying he wanted to "cut down nets" at the beginning of his time at Wake Forest?

Point being, it is easy to know the right things to say.

Currie also has a track record of hiring (or attempting to hire) people who most on here would consider good coaches.

Yeah, Currie has always said the right things... But is that any different than Manning saying he wanted to "cut down nets" at the beginning of his time at Wake Forest?

Point being, it is easy to know the right things to say.

:rofl:

Currie oversees the health and safety of hundreds of staff and players. Even with practices and classes cancelled, there is still an enormous amount of work that goes into the ongoing management of these types of situations. It’s not like he’s sitting on his hands with nothing to do.

I honestly don't know; do we still have athletic dorms? If not and w/o team activities and contact, our athletes should be getting pretty much the same attention and level of communication like every member of the general student body.

If the only reason Manning stays in place is because of fiscal issues then that says a lot about his character, or lack thereof. When you know an athletic department wants to get rid of you, a fan base is united against you, but you are holding them hostage because they can't afford to get rid of you then you are beyond arrogant...you are pretty despicable.

No way I'm walking away from $15MM. He didn't force Wellman to offer that money. Would I take less than $15MM to walk away? Sure. But not THAT much less.

Couldn't you make the case Currie has far less to do? The Atheletic Program is shut down. Looks like to me this is the only thing he needs to do.

There are a lot of individual things that need to be cancelled to fully shut down the spring athletics seasons. To name a few:
Hotel rooms at every away venue for men's golf, women's golf, men's tennis, women's tennis, baseball, track and field, etc.

Transportation to all the above for the athletes, coaches and staff.

Event staff for all home sports events will need to be "descheduled." People to prep and cleanup the football stadium for the spring game won't be needed.

Include trips for Currie and other senior AD people to the NCAA tournament venues. Good place for informal networking to find the next coach.

Ticket refunds. Wake soccer tournament for one.

Redoing the budget because expected revenue won't happen. ACC tournament share. NCAA tournaments share. ACC network revenue drop because no programming available.

Currie will be very busy in the short term. And he will probably have much less money to work with next week than he would have expected last week. With many colleges staying closed after spring break and the NCAA mandated shutdown of spring sports, there is a major change of circumstances that is unprecedented in college sports. Past years predictors may have little value in 2020.

I greatly devalue my own previous predictions in this new set of circumstances.

The only thing that appears certain is that as of now, Danny Manning is head coach of Wake Forest Men's Basketball.

Back