• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

I expect purgatory for a while now. With the cancellation of college sports for all or part of 2020-2021 on the table, cancellation of Danny Manning may be on hold until thete is clarity on the existence of the season.

I tend to agree— would expect another public statement from Currie in the next two or three days that will walk back his commitment of 3/19 that reviews of winter sports programs are on going— he will now say that they have been deferred due to greater issues in the WF community. I know it makes zero sense , but don’t discount Wake’s need for good optics right now...

I tend to agree— would expect another public statement from Currie in the next two or three days that will walk back his commitment of 3/19 that reviews of winter sports programs are on going— he will now say that they have been deferred due to greater issues in the WF community. I know it makes zero sense , but don’t discount Wake’s need for good optics right now...

Why does Wake need good optics right now?

Leaving this thread on Friday afternoon and coming back to it on Monday morning is quite a ride

This is playing in Currie’s favor, he was never gonna fire Manning, he’s got the perfect excuse now to bullshit us Wake fans.

If Manning really is not being fired for whatever godforsaken reason you have to let the fan base know. Statement, interview with the beat guys, whatever but you can’t just let us suffer in purgatory after the last six years.

Amen! Amen! Amen! Not knowing anything is horrible.

This is playing in Currie’s favor, he was never gonna fire Manning, he’s got the perfect excuse now to bullshit us Wake fans.

Can I ask which of your various personalities is posting this? Is this insider BigBoy? With insider info? Or batshit crazy BigBoy? Posting a variety of off the cuff opines that careen wildly back and forth? Providing counterpoints to Manning gone / Manning stay sometimes within the same day?

BabyDeac from the clouds on the other thread.

C'mon folks. Let's review what we know …

Currie wants to remove DM, as much or more than any of us.
Currie wants to hire his own MBB HC. It's what he was hired to do.
He is hamstrung by that ridiculous buyout clause that the prior AD gave in an attempt to extend his own tenure. (top 3 MBB buyout $: Coach Cal, Bennett and DM … which one is not like the other two??)
DM will not negotiate a lower $ buyout. (why would he? he's not getting another HC job any time soon. not his fault the prior AD dumped gold in his lap while further undermining our once-proud MBB program)
Buyout $ of that magnitude are not (at the moment) available. The Gang of Four are not willing to pay for the prior AD's malfeasance. There is no other source (or it would have been tapped last year)
Things are moving slowly right now, in part because of the unprecedented worldwide situation and the related market fluctuations.
Currie's experience at Rocky Top are advising his approach to our coaching dilemma. Expect nothing to leak until he has something to announce. Silence may actually be our friend right now.

I choose to believe (hope?) that somehow we will have a new MBB HC long before the balls are rolled out for practice next season. Against all odds, we need to start turning this thing around now. Apathy is worse than anger and frustration. The video highlights of the '95 championship team brought back some great memories. At the same time, it was a bit surreal to see such outstanding hoops played by guys wearing WF. It has been way too long …

Tick Toc ...

There will be no announcement. I heard that the parties doing this negotiation have been hired by Congress to handle the bailout package. :)

There will be no announcement. I heard that the parties doing this negotiation have been hired by Congress to handle the bailout package. :)

The chuckle you heard was the ghost of George Burns closing the door on the last hotel in the Catskills still paying comedians ... ba duh bum

The chuckle you heard was the ghost of George Burns closing the door on the last hotel in the Catskills still paying comedians ... ba duh bum

Cedars Sinai Hospital has a corner of George Burns and Gracie Allen streets.

I have no idea if DM is going to get fired or not, but from a purely outsiders perspective with no insider info at all I would say the environment has changed where any coaching changes are less likely than they were 2 weeks ago.

So far there has not been a single firing at a Power 6 school. usually you would have at least a few by now, maybe as many as a dozen.

i just think AD's across the country have gone into a wait and see mode (which is why we may not hear anything either way for some time).
Right now AD's are dealing with the fact they have no idea how their revenues are going to be impacted by the crisis happening around the world, other than the impact will be negative. I don't really see any AD making a move until they know whether there is a FB season. If there is no FB season than the hit to the balance sheets is going to be tremendous. Any season ticket sales will likely have to be refunded, there is a good chance conferences will have to negotiate with TV for changes to their contracts, schools would lose all the money from parking, concessions, etc.

Even if things improve, which is a big if, it is likely that crowds will be smaller next season as some people simply aren't going to take the chance.
i think until AD's have a clearer idea of the impacts for the rest of 2020, most of them are likely to be very conservative and just play the waiting game and try to minimize the hits to their budgets.

It also doesn't help if you were planning on using 'big donors' to help deal with the financial repurcussions and they have potentially lost 33-50% of their wealth in 2 weeks. They may simply no longer be in a position to help the same way they were planning to a couple of weeks ago.

Now saying all this, maybe DM gets fired today, i'm just not counting on it. I'm sort of expecting this to go on for at least weeks if not months longer.

No coincidence that the highest rated team to make a coaching change is UAB (#189). No coincidence that Jon Beiliein is available and seemingly wants to return to college basketball yet no one has hired him. Big money is not available for the big schools to make new multi-million dollar commitments.

Last year, there were 58 college programs that changed coaches. 11 Power Six schools changed coaches. So far, this year, 16 programs have fired their coaches (and none had a large guaranteed financial commitment to the coach getting canned), and no Power 6 schools has terminated its coach. Like almost every entity at the moment, colleges are hurting financially and the big time donors that can usually be counted on are conserving their resources. The situation totally sucks, but for those claiming that WF should "just come up with the cash" are failing to understand the current reality.

Last edited:
I thought Danny had used up his nine lives during his NBA career - surviving multiple knee surgeries, trades, bench relegation, etc... Apparently, not so ...

Back