• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

Can't see anybody with major $$ it contribute to a buyout coming thru under current conditions:
A)$15 or whatever million is now well over $20MM with the market meltdown
B)If you are an employer, how do you justify laying off folks and turning around and givng money to get rid of a lousy bb coach
C)Even if you're not an employer, i.e. just a wealthy investor not beholden to anyone practically, morally or ethically, if A) is not enough to back you off in throwing bad money after worse, anyone with a heart is going to direct their largesse towards those in great need at this time.
One way out of the contract I see so all parties feel reasonably good about it would be for Manning to say he'll take 50% (enough for him to live comfortably for life) if the balance of 50% wil go directly towards some of those most affected by the virus. Manning saves face, and Wake and its donors can justify spending big $$ during unprecedented times. Heck, I'd gladly give $100 on a 50/50 basis under those conditions.

If Manning must be retained due to his stubbornness, Currie could make his life miserable. That enormous staff could be cut in half. The recruiting budget could be reduced. Some perks could disappear. No more private jets. All done in the name of cost savings due to reduced income. Time to play hard ball.

Busy day at the office. Just catching up...

Soooo...We are all going to die horrible deaths, if we make it through COVID phase 1 alive then we will die from it a year or two from now...Anddddd Danny Manning is going to continue coaching wake basketball, given we even have a season.

It’s sobering to think how many diehard Deacon fans have passed away with Manning as our coach knowing there’s no way for the program to rebound.

If Manning must be retained due to his stubbornness, Currie could make his life miserable. That enormous staff could be cut in half. The recruiting budget could be reduced. Some perks could disappear. No more private jets. All done in the name of cost savings due to reduced income. Time to play hard ball.

If he does that, it will hurt the program. Attendance will go down, we won’t get good recruits, players will transfer. We wouldn’t win more than 13 games at the most.

An institution founded upon and to many still operated under "white privilege" will never treat a black coach in the manner you and others have suggested. And even if Manning would not object to such treatment and/or categorize it as racially-motivated, there's plenty of folks inside and outside of WFU who would gladly do so for him. And no, I'm not suggesting that you or anyone else would suggest anything less if it was Buzz or any other lousy coach, but in this age of "identity politics" you better be ready to play the game.....and putting Manequin on a bus to meet with a recruit in inner-city Harlem while Clawson flies on a private jet to meet a QB at IMG Academy won't cut it in today's world.

Treating Manning like shit with budget cuts just makes it harder to hire the the next coach. Those stories would get out. Just fire him and move on.

I doubt many coaches would agree with your take on the job.
The last 3 years Wake has finished 14th, 13th and tied for last in the ACC. In the last 10 years it has won more than 1/3 of its conference games 1 time. That's not a program that most coaches are going to think is an easy job and not a serious rebuild.

I'm not convinced Matta will ever coach again. He had the UGa job for his taking 2 years ago and turned it down because he decided he wasn't healthy enough to be a major college HC.

What happened three years ago or two years ago is totally irrelevant. We have had a totally incompetent coach who wasted talent.

Chaundee is a very, very good high major player. Sarr showed a month of dominance and was 3rd Team All-ACC. Massoud (he plays a position Beiein has featured for the past 15 years) and Mucius are very solid P6 players. At the end of the season, Neath was coming on strong. Watson is a Top 100 player and excelled in his playoff season

That's a base a good coach could turn into a winning team.

RE:Matta and GA- He had about a million dollars coming for not coaching last year and GA is not a good job and hasn't been for decades. Matta knows Wake as does Beilein. Both have seen our program be strong.

Last edited:

Agree 100% what I have advocated for the last week. Pull a trick out of Major League-- see how recruiting goes from the back of a school bus with no a/c!

I don't believe South Korea ever imposed lockdown of any cities, which is amazing.

They had testing. So they were much better prepared than the US. The current administration elected to ignore the obvious incoming issue, so we have them to thank that Danny Manning is still our coach.

Used to be a huge wake basketball fan for 15 years. Was a season ticket holder for many years. I gave up on basketball three years ago and have been free ever since then and don’t plan on coming back, especially considering they are seemingly keeping manning for the foreseeable future. Haven’t really been keeping track of this entire situation, but it seems pretty obvious the higher ups don’t care about mens basketball.

An institution founded upon and to many still operated under "white privilege" will never treat a black coach in the manner you and others have suggested. And even if Manning would not object to such treatment and/or categorize it as racially-motivated, there's plenty of folks inside and outside of WFU who would gladly do so for him. And no, I'm not suggesting that you or anyone else would suggest anything less if it was Buzz or any other lousy coach, but in this age of "identity politics" you better be ready to play the game.....and putting Manequin on a bus to meet with a recruit in inner-city Harlem while Clawson flies on a private jet to meet a QB at IMG Academy won't cut it in today's world.

Take your FoxNews victim complex somewhere else, rube. This is a thread for battered wife syndrome.

They had testing. So they were much better prepared than the US. The current administration elected to ignore the obvious incoming issue, so we have them to thank that Danny Manning is still our coach.

Ah, so now it's Donald Trump's fault that Manning is still our coach. Trump should have declared a National Emergency as soon as we hit 1000 deaths like Obama did in 2009. Oh wait, that means he wouldn't have done anything until TODAY. Were you one of those people that became unhinged when President Trump halted all flights from China in January (which did more to stop the spread of the virus in the US than these stupid lockdowns)? Of course you did. Because Donald Trump did it.

Sorry for the politics. But either we have politics here or we don't. I'm tired of trying to follow the rules and stick to Wake Forest sports, but then have to read these constant jabs at the President by irrational Trump haters. If that's going to be allowed, I'm going to respond.

Ah, so now it's Donald Trump's fault that Manning is still our coach. Trump should have declared a National Emergency as soon as we hit 1000 deaths like Obama did in 2009. Oh wait, that means he wouldn't have done anything until TODAY. Were you one of those people that became unhinged when President Trump halted all flights from China in January (which did more to stop the spread of the virus in the US than these stupid lockdowns)? Of course you did. Because Donald Trump did it.

Sorry for the politics. But either we have politics here or we don't. I'm tired of trying to follow the rules and stick to Wake Forest sports, but then have to read these constant jabs at the President by irrational Trump haters. If that's going to be allowed, I'm going to respond.

Trumps lies are so helpful. How's his 15 cases becoming zero going? How did his ignoring his National Security team for months do? How do the families of the sick and dead feel about him calling it a hoax?

What someone did or didn't do years ago isn't irrelevant to the national pain of today.

But keep supporting the racist, liar in the WH.

BTW, if he had acted as was told to him six months ago in the game plan that was presented to him, there could have been an NCAAT and a new Wake coach by now.

April 2009. The good old days of Wake hoops. Sure we embarrassed ourselves but it was in the NCAA Tournament.

ATL, if you want to talk about how much you love Trump, just go to the Tunnels. It’s annoying to see people complain about politics on the sports board when afraid to just take it to the Tunnels.

Except that Obama declared a public health emergency when the death count was 20.

April 2009. The good old days of Wake hoops. Sure we embarrassed ourselves but it was in the NCAA Tournament.

ATL, if you want to talk about how much you love Trump, just go to the Tunnels. It’s annoying to see people complain about politics on the sports board when afraid to just take it to the Tunnels.
Yeah weird to see all these Trump lovers here vs the place dedicated to defending him

It was a joke. Relax.

Where do we even find these people

Back