• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Returning for 2019-2020 - b/c basketball decision, obvi

Our other coaches who are actually producing the product they were hired to produce better be getting paid- and I mean paid- or there will be a mass exodus.

I don’t know what Clawson’s salary is or what his contract includes but Wake better be prepared to negotiate when the time comes.

If I'm Clawson, I start looking to move on after this year. I wouldn't want to work for these idiots.

If I'm Clawson, I start looking to move on after this year. I wouldn't want to work for these idiots.

If you're Clawson, you start to wonder how much the incompetence has cost your own program, whether it's attendance, DC donations, AD budget, etc, etc.

Sent a message to Wellman and Currie. I would encourage you all to do the same. Posting here in case anyone wants ideas.

Messrs. Wellman and Currie,

I write to you this morning as a saddened and disappointed alumnus. One who is saddened by the abject failure of our men's basketball program that is the result of incompetent leadership and disappointed by the Athletics Department and University's willingness to tolerate such failure.

I am deeply troubled by the email I received this morning announcing that Danny Manning will be retained for the 2019-2020 basketball season. This is a decision that I am unable to comprehend unless I accept the report that the Athletics Department and University entered into a reckless contract with Coach Manning, which would demonstrate gross negligence by this administration at an unprecedented level. The results produced by Coach Manning over the past five seasons are unacceptable at this level of athletics. If competing for championships is no longer a priority for our university, then I hope this is discussed at this morning's press conference.

I work in consulting. A large part of my job is to work with organizations to make sure that their actions align directly with their stated strategic goals and visions. Looking at the decision to retain Coach Manning through this lens, I fail to reconcile his retention with any positive goals or vision for the men's basketball program. Perhaps this is because no such goals or vision for the men's basketball program have ever been communicated in a tangible way. As an alumnus, this lack of transparency is distressing and discouraging. I am optimistic that this will change under Mr. Currie's leadership, but you surely you can understand this concern. Mr. Currie, during your introductory press conference you spoke of demystifying the actions and processes of the Athletics Department. I hope an earnest attempt is made to demystify this decision at today's press conference because I, personally, am unable to comprehend this.

At the end of the day I am a young alumnus and I am not a major donor, so I suspect, if I am lucky, that this message will possibly be read by a junior staffer in the Athletics Department. I've donated to the Athletics Department and the Wake Will Campaign. As a first generation college graduate, I have supported the Magnolia Scholars. Until the right thing is done and a satisfactory leadership change is made within the men's basketball program to return it to its true historical competitiveness, I will no longer support financially support Wake Forest, with the exception of the Magnolia Scholars. Here, at least, I know my money will not go towards protecting and propping up a failure. Please believe me when I say that this decision pains me far more than you. I, however, can no longer be complicit in supporting an organization that has shown a wanton disregard for university resources and has tolerated failure with no demonstrated desire to improve our current situation.

I hope that the right thing is eventually done and this ship is righted. Over the past decade, parts of which I've spent as a student and alumnus, I have grown tired of the Athletics Department's incomprehensible aversion to success on the court. Facilities are improving, but at what point will someone be held accountable for on court results? As previously mentioned, you will likely not even notice the cessation of my personal financial support, but I am sure you realize that there are many like me who are making the same decision today and simply not communicating it. I'll be here waiting for the day that the right decision is finally made.

Sent with the deepest disappointment in my alma mater,

A pissed off Frosty

While it pains me to see this, I really have lost all passion I had for Wake basketball. Next year will be no different. I won't care to wear any Wake gear or waste my time traveling to Winston to attend any games. Life goes on. If the AD doesn't care about basketball, why should I?

Look at these two fuckos

D2RKUMyX4AESPec.jpg:large

I blame John Collins. Kidding not kidding. If he wasn't so damn good, the extension never happens. Manning should give Collins half that money

True story. I love John Collins, and it's not his fault, but because of Wellman the reality is his impact on Wake Basketball will ultimately be net negative.

Exactly. Why would Claw stay around for this kind of shit? He gets less pay to actually do his job and win football games while you have a 7 foot tall zombie getting cash money to lose in embarrassing fashion over and over again. I'd say the odds are Claw leaves after this season and Manning is once again brought back for a 7th year on the heels of a near CBI berth.

My dad, who’s been a season ticket holder since he graduated in ‘71 is considering not getting tickets this year.

I want to suspend my DC donation, it I know it goes to scholarships for other sports.

Just send a message at least this year and suspend. The other sports will be fine. You can always renew. What is the point of abetting this crook's power play?

If you're Clawson, you start to wonder how much the incompetence has cost your own program, whether it's attendance, DC donations, AD budget, etc, etc.

This. I will not follow football either.

Wake is run like a 3rd world government. Don't want any part of it.

Just awful. Huge middle finger to the kids on that team, the fans, etc. Just fuck you Wake.

Super bummed, but I think the school athletes are part of the reason manning has been retained actually. No departures, nobody has put their name in the transfer pool [yet]. They didn't quit. Players likely caught for manning unfortunately.

It will be interesting to see what Currie does in may and I am honestly curious to see whether we show any improvement next year.

I'm doubtful but I won't quit early.

I mean, the morons in the athletic department have to know how fucked this all is solely by feeling the need to have to have a press conference FOR RETAINING A HEAD COACH. For fucks sake has there ever been a bigger shit show?

Our other coaches who are actually producing the product they were hired to produce better be getting paid- and I mean paid- or there will be a mass exodus.

I don’t know what Clawson’s salary is or what his contract includes but Wake better be prepared to negotiate when the time comes.

I hope they screw up and let Clawson walk. He's done an amazing job considering the circumstances of where he works and whom he works for. It's more amazing that FB could achieve this much under Wellman's thumb. He's done what he has had to do to move to the next rung. He should do it. We don't deserve Dave Clawson, obviously.

This. I will not follow football either.

Wake is run like a 3rd world government. Don't want any part of it.

some here would agree that it has very similar characteristics as a very close 1st world country

I want to know how much of Manning’s salary Ron is pocketing? There’s some serious s@&$! going on. I’ve done a lot of work in ethics and compliance. No one is this stupid.

I think every team in the ACC just thanked Wellman.

Back