• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manual vs. Automatic

What kind of car do you drive?

• Total voters

HailToTheDeacons

Fantasy Sheep Champion
Reaction score
Spinoff poll from the steering wheel thread. Poll coming shortly.

What kind of car do you drive?

I have driven several sticks over the years; currently driving an automatic.

You need a "no car" option for us tree-hugging hippie losers. Although I guess doofus/numbers counts.

I learned to drive on a manual 1987 CJ7 in the snow (thanks, Dad). Drove manual for 2 years, but have been automatic ever since.

I've had a couple of manuals. It never really bothered me to drive a stick in the city, which so many people say is the downside. What bothered me was when I'd be on the interstate in be backed up for ten miles due to a wreck and had to stop and go for 45 minutes somewhere between a full stop, first gear, and second gear.

I've had a couple of manuals. It never really bothered me to drive a stick in the city, which so many people say is the downside. What bothered me was when I'd be on the interstate in be backed up for ten miles due to a wreck and had to stop and go for 45 minutes somewhere between a full stop, first gear, and second gear.

Yep, city driving with a stick is kind of fun (accelerating out of lights and cornering, etc.). It's stop and go traffic that sucks.

I'd like to learn to drive manual but haven't really had the opportunity.

Well actually, a friend said I could learn on his car if I wanted to, but I don't see the need right now.

I'd like to learn to drive manual but haven't really had the opportunity.

Well actually, a friend said I could learn on his car if I wanted to, but I don't see the need right now.

He is trying to you pick up. No sensible man would want a female to learn to drive stick on his car.

dhtoy keeps trying to teach me to drive his car, which is a manual. i'm a terrible student. i'm fine on flat ground at this point, but i suck a lot at anything that involves starting/stopping on hills.

He is trying to you pick up. No sensible man would want a female to learn to drive stick on his car.

I don't think so, he has a girlfriend. he has at least 3 cars and has offered his really beat up truck for the lessons.

My car is a stick and not fun in ATL traffic.

Another negative with a stick-my wife was in a bad car accident last week where her car was totalled and she broke her left kneecap so driving my car is out of the question. So I am now the family chauffer.

My first five cars were all manual. An old job required me to sit in traffic on a steep hill to get to work, which was enough to switch to an automatic.

Drove stick for 10 years but sold out with my current car. Right now I'm about 60-40 leaning towards going back to a manual for my next car.

Learned how to drive a stick during my semester abroad in Switzerland, and when I got back home I immediately traded in my automatic for a manual and haven't looked back since. The times that I'm glad I have a manual far outweigh the few times that it's a pain.

While it doesn't engage all that often (or at least I don't notice it when it does), a lot off new cars, including my own, have something called hill helper which keeps the e-brake engaged either until you reach the friction point or for a half second once you take your foot off the break (different cars have different systems). A lot of purists hate it and would rather be badasses by using the e-brake manually, but I think it's a nice thing to have as a backup. And it's definitely helpful for those that are learning or aren't that comfortable on hills.

I learned on a stick, but drive automatic bc stick in ATL sucks balls. I tried to teach my wife to drive a stick when we were engaged. She is short and puts the seat all the way up. So, when she started "bucking" due to not enough gas/clutch release, her tits banged the horn and "honk, honk, honk" as she bucked. That ended that lesson.

Back