• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manual vs. Automatic

What kind of car do you drive?

• Total voters
Thought I'd talked myself into an automatic with my most recent car but drove the manual version and it was a no-brainer. Not sure I'll ever make the switch - manual's are just too much fun to drive. Even when you have a dual clutch auto that shifts faster than any human could I'd still take a manual.

I will say that I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much with a really heavy clutch. Would be brutal in DC traffic.

It's really not though. I do it every day.

It's really not though. I do it every day.

My dad had an Audi with a non-hydraulic clutch - I really don't believe you if you think that'd be a-ok for daily city traffic. Every gear shift was like a 50 pound leg extension. Honda/Acura clutches, no problem.

Always preferred a stick, so my car, truck and tractor are all manual. Even though all are 5-speeds, they have different gear shift patterns which is a pain.

Real men drive sticks except the men who drive sticks in this thread prob have Jettas or some girl car.

Why is manual transmission considered manly anyways? You dudes like to handle sticks, dontcha?

You have more control over the car with a stick. You can accelerate faster than with a manual if you know what you are doing.

Real men drive sticks except the men who drive sticks in this thread prob have Jettas or some girl car.

Why is manual transmission considered manly anyways? You dudes like to handle sticks, dontcha?

I'll bite and cue the humble brag. My car is a BMW with an 8 cylinder engine and a 6 speed manual transmission. That is a fun combination.

Today some dipshit was going 25 mph in a 40 zone. Dropped into 2nd and punched it. A manual transmission on a fun car is a million times more fun to drive. But they definitely have their pain in the ass moments too.

I don't think it's manly at all. Just useful.

I understand what you mean, ELC, but I also feel like it's a skill that you'd rather have and not need than the other way around. The circumstances that might bring something like that up may be rare, but from a preparedness standpoint, it does make sense.

coyote2.jpg

Learned to drive a 1953 Willys Jeep when I was 10. My father is a retired Naval aviator and instructor....he taught primary flight, instruments and jet carrier landings from the back seat of tandem trainers, among other things. His style was...abrupt. But I learned quickly.

One story...one of his students and later his longtime friend and roommate told me his favorite trick was to roll the plane into an inverted dive (at a decent altitude) and cut the engine, then watch the student recover the attitude of the plane while going through restart procedures. Even though he outranked the students, they would routinely yell "You son of a bitch!"....he said he would just smile and grade them and ignore the comments.

So I'm a lawyer....

(Edited to note I currently drive an automatic but would love a third vehicle with a manual. Not practical for the family right now.)

Last edited:
Straight drive as long as I'm not sitting in traffic

Once the kids are older I'm getting a sportier vehicle with a manual transmission...sports car or jeep wrangler. (Different...I know...I've got to decide whether I want on road or off road fun!)

I actually learned how to drive with a manual Chevy Chevette but once I was old enough to work I saved up and got the below which I drove all through college. It was a 3-speed 289 that would scream.

I've never gotten the "fun" thing with driving. To me the purpose of a vehicle is to get from Point A to Point B safely, in relative comfort and at a reasonable cost. My current vehicle has almost 300K on the odometer; will hang on to it until upkeep is greater than making car payments.

I've never gotten the "fun" thing with driving. To me the purpose of a vehicle is to get from Point A to Point B safely, in relative comfort and at a reasonable cost. My current vehicle has almost 300K on the odometer; will hang on to it until upkeep is greater than making car payments.

this is literally the most boring sentence I've ever read

this is literally the most boring sentence I've ever read

I agree. Why not move to Europe or somewhere where you can either walk or ride the train to work. If you don't dig cruising in a convertible or letting it out on the interstate then I really don't "get" you.

Not a NASCAR fan.

Learned to drive a 1953 Willys Jeep when I was 10. My father is a retired Naval aviator and instructor....he taught primary flight, instruments and jet carrier landings from the back seat of tandem trainers, among other things. His style was...abrupt. But I learned quickly.

One story...one of his students and later his longtime friend and roommate told me his favorite trick was to roll the plane into an inverted dive (at a decent altitude) and cut the engine, then watch the student recover the attitude of the plane while going through restart procedures. Even though he outranked the students, they would routinely yell "You son of a bitch!"....he said he would just smile and grade them and ignore the comments.

So I'm a lawyer....

:eek::eek:

I actually learned how to drive with a manual Chevy Chevette but once I was old enough to work I saved up and got the below which I drove all through college. It was a 3-speed 289 that would scream.

Please tell me that you still own this work of automotive art.

I actually sold that one off back in 1995. I now drive a 1966 on weekends except it has a 289 instead of a straight 6 200 cubic inch shown below. I am taking it to have it painted back to its original spring time yellow color this weekend.

Back