• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland Takes Ball and Goes Home...

I am not sure what GT brings athletically. Solid school obviously, but it's not like GT runs ATL. I was at an eagles/falcons game where the GT band was loudly booed at half (and yes, by falcons fans, we got a break from booing).

Obviously this is because there are knuckle dragging did not attend Georgia fans everywhere. I'm not sure who in the ACC brings anything athletically, besides FSU and Clemson in fb, and Duke and UNC in bb.

In three years, Maryland fans will be bitching that Ohio State gets all the calls and Gary Williams will refer to Maryland as whatever the eastern equivalent of Alaska is. Athletically, their experience in the Big Whatever will be no different, except they won't have unc and duke to get up for in hoops qnd the margins of defeat in football will be larger. Enjoy those late fall road trips to St Paul and Iowa, Terp fan.

Good riddance to Maryland. Welcome Uconn. Better sports and better fans.

You mean the school that had to pay Rice students to sit in their seats at the FF so it looked like UConn had fans? Yeah, good luck with that.

As someone who sat in the UConn section in the bowl game a few years ago, I don't find that UConn has better fans than MD. And except for bb, they don't have better sports, either.

Maryland fans may be assholes, but UConn fans are assholes AND stupid people.

UMd is a chickenhead looking to suck dick in the alley for a quick $20. Wake's programs may be mediocre but we are not the crackhouse that Md is. Good luck taking it up the ass whatever halfway house you end up in. In retrospect, the Md fan that shot himself in the ass at the ACC tourney will look like the most intelligent man in your fanbase.

I don't get it. MD is going to pay 50M to move from the middle of the line in the ACC for the absolute back of the line in Big10? Okay then. Enjoy.

I exchanged tweets with SVP about this. He thinks MD's football program is attractive due to its ancient history of winning bowls, etc. Riiight. The Big 10 likes the eyeballs in DC and Baltimore that it hopes will watch MD get its brains beaten in by Big 10 teams.

Baltimore doesn't give a shit about Md. Basically viewed as DC's school.

A friend of mine from MD says this is more about the "academic consortium" that is the Big 10 plus University of Chicago. U Chicago is a former Big 10 member that dropped major sports long ago. This academic consortium supposedly pools resources to bring in $100"s of millions in research money. Anybody heard any thing else about this when MD to the Big 10 is discussed?

I don't get it. MD is going to pay 50M to move from the middle of the line in the ACC for the absolute back of the line in Big10? Okay then. Enjoy.

I don't see what Maryland sees in the Big 10 that is worth the exit fee, but more than that I don't see what the Big 10 sees in a poor academic school with a bad football team and a smallish alumni base. I don't know what the Maryland/DC t.v. market is worth (it better be something), that Penn State doesn't already deliver in the mid-Atlantic.

How many teams do you have to have to be considered a conference? If everyone goes elsewhere, would Wake just get all of the exit fees? That would be a lot of quiche.

How many teams do you have to have to be considered a conference? If everyone goes elsewhere, would Wake just get all of the exit fees? That would be a lot of quiche.

Lol. I have no idea. That would be $550MM? $650MM with Pitt and Cuse? $700MM with ND? That would make a hefty AD endowment.

Also, you'll get significantly more exposure on the Big 10 Network than on ESPN3 and Raycom.

Fixed for accuracy.

A friend of mine from MD says this is more about the "academic consortium" that is the Big 10 plus University of Chicago. U Chicago is a former Big 10 member that dropped major sports long ago. This academic consortium supposedly pools resources to bring in $100"s of millions in research money. Anybody heard any thing else about this when MD to the Big 10 is discussed?

I don't know much about it. I'm sure if faculty and MD wanted to work with faculty at Duke, UNC, and UVa, they'd bring in $100s of millions in research money as well.

I mean, with a budget deficit as large as we're staring at, it isn't just small differences like that. Its the ability to keep sports and to prevent draconian cuts to the revenues. And we're giving up UVA, UNC, and Duke for Michigan, Ohio State, and PSU. The only logic that the ACC games are better is that there's history here, which does carry some weight, but lets not act like its a scheduling downgrade or anything.

I can understand this point. The ACC already gave up games against UVa, UNC, and Duke for BC, Miami, and Va Tech. The ACC ruined tradition already.

I exchanged tweets with SVP about this. He thinks MD's football program is attractive due to its ancient history of winning bowls, etc. Riiight. The Big 10 likes the eyeballs in DC and Baltimore that it hopes will watch MD get its brains beaten in by Big 10 teams.

They are about to be date raped by the Big 10 and they are just too stupid to realize it.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. On the minuscule chance that this move is motivated by anything other than unadulterated greed, it's certainly not premised on the concept that Maryland will be able to join an "academic consortium" where they will pool resources. Here's a fun fact: THEY'RE PAYING 50 MILLION DOLLARS TO LEAVE THE CONFERENCE. Just ask for the money from Plank (or whatever UA jock-sniffer's name is who clearly didn't get to play with the cool kids when he was growing up and is delighting in his adult sandbox right now) to go directly to research.

Maryland and U Chicago in the same sentence makes my laugh out loud.

What would the people on this board say if the Big Ten came to Wake Forest right now and said, "Hey guys, we want to invite you to the Big Ten with Rutgers. You in?"

Yes or no.

What would the people on this board say if the Big Ten came to Wake Forest right now and said, "Hey guys, we want to invite you to the Big Ten with Rutgers. You in?"

Yes or no.

package deal with Duke, Carolina, and State?

Back