• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland Takes Ball and Goes Home...

The ACC has history--that is about all it has. We've been overtaken by events. The ACC is a relic. The whole concept of a "conference" has changed--now it's about tv revenue, not natural rivalries and synergy. Playing BC, Pittsburgh, Syracuse is really no different from non-conference except for counting toward guaranteed bowl berths, which we realistically cannot compete for. We are a minnow in a small pond which is getting smaller. And our AD leadership isn't helping either. If Duke and/or UNC leave turn out the lights--the party's over.

I mean, with a budget deficit as large as we're staring at, it isn't just small differences like that. Its the ability to keep sports and to prevent draconian cuts to the revenues. And we're giving up UVA, UNC, and Duke for Michigan, Ohio State, and PSU. The only logic that the ACC games are better is that there's history here, which does carry some weight, but lets not act like its a scheduling downgrade or anything.

Getting your ass beat repeatedly by those teams doesn't make the games better.

Also, you'll get significantly less exposure on the Big 10 Network than on ESPN.

So if I'm a Maryland fan, what is the Maryland Athletics Department going to do with the supposed extra money that makes it worthwhile to me to give up games with UVA, UNC, and Duke in exchange for games with Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue? Build a new indoor track? Outfit the women's tennis team with the best rackets? Why do I care about that? Am I just really, really hoping we throw $10m/year at Gruden?

Maryland fans think there's a decent chance UVA/UNC are coming along for the ride.

So if I'm a Maryland fan, what is the Maryland Athletics Department going to do with the supposed extra money that makes it worthwhile to me to give up games with UVA, UNC, and Duke in exchange for games with Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue? Build a new indoor track? Outfit the women's tennis team with the best rackets? Why do I care about that? Am I just really, really hoping we throw $10m/year at Gruden?

5 words - Cole Field House Ice Hockey

Outside the revenue, maybe Maryland thinks they can win Big 20 basketball championships instead of being Duke and Carolina'a bitch every year like the rest of us. Their prospects in football in that conference are a joke.

It is realy sad what has happened to major college revenue sports.
Makes me wonder, when will all this stop? Seems like for years all we saw was one team here and there move around but for the most part things were pretty stable. Then the ACC goes after Miami and VT and everyone decides to shake things up.

I realize why it happens, just wondering when things will settle.

Outside the revenue, maybe Maryland thinks they can win Big 20 basketball championships instead of being Duke and Carolina'a bitch every year like the rest of us. Their prospects in football in that conference are a joke.

Their prospects in football in THIS conference are a joke, so status quo.

I exchanged tweets with SVP about this. He thinks MD's football program is attractive due to its ancient history of winning bowls, etc. Riiight. The Big 10 likes the eyeballs in DC and Baltimore that it hopes will watch MD get its brains beaten in by Big 10 teams.

Their prospects in football in THIS conference are a joke, so status quo.

Exactly. If you're going to suck in the ACC, might as well suck in the Big Ten.

But anyway, it's not like Mike Locksley didn't recruit a Rose Bowl team at freaking Illinois while he was there.

I exchanged tweets with SVP about this. He thinks MD's football program is attractive due to its ancient history of winning bowls, etc. Riiight. The Big 10 likes the eyeballs in DC and Baltimore that it hopes will watch MD get its brains beaten in by Big 10 teams.

Boomer Esaiason ain't walking through that door. Frank Reich ain't walking through that door. Scott Milanovich ain't - well, he may be available.

Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports
#Rutgers is getting the most play (along with Maryland) but multiple sources maintain #GeorgiaTech is also vying for a Big 10 spot.

I said months ago that GT and UMd were the most likely targets for ACC schools jumping to the B1G. They make the most sense, by far.

And if the Carolina schools don't understand why the rest of the conference hates them, they better do it soon or it'll just be them left playing each other in total irrelevance.

Articulate the reasons then. Let's hear it. Everyone's always talking about it, what are the reasons? And let me know how it benefits Wake Forest.

I am not sure what GT brings athletically. Solid school obviously, but it's not like GT runs ATL. I was at an eagles/falcons game where the GT band was loudly booed at half (and yes, by falcons fans, we got a break from booing).

Good riddance to Maryland. Welcome Uconn. Better sports and better fans.

I, for one, wish we would add UofL over UConn if the Terps do bolt. I know their academics aren't strong, but they bring a better football program and, at the moment, a better basketball program. Plus, Louisville is a much better place to attend a game than Storrs. Of course, I am getting ready to move to Louisville so I am a bit biased.

I said months ago that GT and UMd were the most likely targets for ACC schools jumping to the B1G. They make the most sense, by far.

And if the Carolina schools don't understand why the rest of the conference hates them, they better do it soon or it'll just be them left playing each other in total irrelevance.

This line is repeatd quite a lot from the non-NC schools. Assuming this is true, what do these other schools suggest that the ACC should have done differently the last 10-15 years and how did the NC schools stop the league from doing them?

Articulate the reasons then. Let's hear it. Everyone's always talking about it, what are the reasons? And let me know how it benefits Wake Forest.

Over the past decade, two of the NC schools having been voting to change the ACC to a less NC-centric conference.

Back