• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

May 21, 2011

Will the world end on May 21, 2011?

• Yes

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 90 75.0%

• Total voters
So she spent the last 8 months of her life pregnant? Great move.

Maybe their line of logic is that when she gets raptured, their unborn baby will also be saved? I have no idea.

Also, I would be pissed if the world ended this month. I've been working really hard over the last year of school and don't want it to all be for naught.

Amaaaaaaaazing:

"Knowing the date of the end of the world changes all your future plans," says 27-year-old Adrienne Martinez.

She thought she'd go to medical school, until she began tuning in to Family Radio. She and her husband, Joel, lived and worked in New York City. But a year ago, they decided they wanted to spend their remaining time on Earth with their infant daughter.

"My mentality was, why are we going to work for more money? It just seemed kind of greedy to me. And unnecessary," she says.

And so, her husband adds, "God just made it possible — he opened doors. He allowed us to quit our jobs, and we just moved, and here we are."

Now they are in Orlando, in a rented house, passing out tracts and reading the Bible. Their daughter is 2 years old, and their second child is due in June. Joel says they're spending the last of their savings. They don't see a need for one more dollar.

"You know, you think about retirement and stuff like that," he says. "What's the point of having some money just sitting there?"

"We budgeted everything so that, on May 21, we won't have anything left," Adrienne adds.

i chat threaded this yesterdayyyy

By the way, the same jackass who is leading the parade on this also predicted the same thing in September 1994, which I remember vividly because at the time I was young and the idea kind of freaked me out.

he said in an interview that at the time he'd overlooked some book of the bible (jeremiah maybe?) that apparently contains a ton of end times info. now that he's studied that as well, he's 100% damn sure that it's the 21st. 6pm local time. starting with the pacific rim. with earthquakes.

My thoughts exactly. Though if she is so religious, it's not like she had another choice. Still doesn't seem very caring to be bringing life into the world only to have it taken away so suddenly, since that seems to be their outlook on everything else. I just don't understand the logic. Seems somewhat circuitous to me in its fatalism.

Not fucking is always a choice.

Also, check this out from The Colbert Report from the other night. Segment starts at 3:52.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/385915/may-10-2011/yahweh-or-no-way----thor-and-apocalypse-billboard?xrs=share_copy

Last edited:
My wife was watching some random episode of Wife Swap several months ago with these people who totally buy into the Mayan date for the world ending, complete with a dry erase board in their house counting down the days.

They were so proud of themselves for buying everything they have on credit with no payments due until 2013. People are so fucking stupid.

My wife was watching some random episode of Wife Swap several months ago with these people who totally buy into the Mayan date for the world ending, complete with a dry erase board in their house counting down the days.

They were so proud of themselves for buying everything they have on credit with no payments due until 2013. People are so fucking stupid.

that's going to be an unfun year for them.

Honestly, I haven't decided yet. I know, 2000 years seems like enough time to make such a decision, but you people are always trying to predict the Apocalypse, and quite frankly, I'm a bit tired of it. There's a lot to do in Heaven, and in the grand scheme of things I haven't been here that long. Rapture is a lot of work, just give me some time to think about it. Part of me wants to catch you guys completely off guard. Besides, I don't support the lunatic fringe.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a glass of scotch to finish while I watch these Robert Traylor highlights. Apparently he's due out of purgatory in a few hours.

Umm...from the "Muslim" discussions on the politics board, I suppose if I don't speak clearly vociferously against the crazy/conniving Camping and his deluded followers then it must be assumed that I'm in sympathy with their nuttiness.

I am not.

There.

[sad stuff, really]

Let's make it a movie night!

endofdays1.jpg

TheDayAfterTomorrow2004.jpg

last-night.jpg

Zombie_Apocalypse_Special_Edition_DVD.gif

I just don't wanna die on my birthday...I'm s'posed to drink a lot that day.

kthxbi

I assume that those using the Bible to determine the end of days missed the part where God said that nobody will know when that is supposed to happen. Does that mean that by guessing the day, it ensures it won't happen then?

I think ill be happy enough planning for may 22 and beyond instead of waking up the 21st with nothing. Does it really matter how you spend your last days if it is the end of the world? they wont matter!

This could put a damper in my plans to see Dead Confederate Memorial Day Weekend.

If I were a dude running a Christian radio empire, there is no better way to raise my profile and get media attention and $$$ than predict Judgment Day. You get a shitload of attention, then when it doesn't happen you just say something about how God spared everyone....this time. Then a few years later you can do it again and simply say something about how you did some extra reading and calculating and this time you are definitely right. Rinse. Repeat.

If I were a dude running a Christian radio empire, there is no better way to raise my profile and get media attention and $$$ than predict Judgment Day. You get a shitload of attention, then when it doesn't happen you just say something about how God spared everyone....this time. Then a few years later you can do it again and simply say something about how you did some extra reading and calculating and this time you are definitely right. Rinse. Repeat.

When I was 10 years old these guys were predicting the world in a few years and it didn't happen then and I don't expect it to happen now. My preacher actually gave a sermon on this subject of people trying to predict the end of the world by alluding to biblical references. Although not in these exact words, his consensus was that these people are full of shit and that it is futile as humans to try and predict some sort of end of days scenario.

Also, I would be pissed if the world ended this month. I've been working really hard over the last year of school and don't want it to all be for naught.
This only it's really the past 4 years, plus the whole wanting to actually get to have and get to know the baby thing.

Back