• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 1: Elon Phoenix at WF - Monday (11/6) 8 pm ACCN+

I think frustrations in the heat of the game are completely fine, that's the point of the thread.

Having every four minute stretch of any game be a referendum on Forbes or every single player on the roster when something goes wrong, or a mistake is made, is exhausting.

The first half was, by all accounts disastrous, and we weren't even pretending to play defense. I was certainly in the frustrated camp and had the fleeting thoughts of "here we go again".

Last edited:
Marsh feels like a guy who is gonna have his minutes yo-yo a lot based on matchup
It’s definitely this. Against schools with legitimate size, Marsh is going to play 20+ minutes a game. Against schools like Elon that don’t have legitimate size, he is going to play less than that.

That is true, but it’s startling sometimes watching him. He is not ready for anything other than an alley oop lob. He doesn't see bounce passes coming his way, his feet don't stay with anyone moving around down there, he rebounds poorly for his size. It’s tough to watch.
It’s honestly like watching a baby deer take it’s first steps when watching him play.

Outside of the obvious elite of Sallis and Cam, and 2nd half Carr, I was very impressed with Friedrichsen and Marion.

Parker got beat on backdoor cuts 2-3 times, which is certainly coachable on not biting on the pop and dive plays. Marion has really good hands, which is something that we don't see a lot of out of freshman at Wake it seems. John Collins had elite hands and it was immediately noticeable. Obviously Marion isn't the same skill level as JC, but his hands and nose for the ball reminded me of JC. They should get a lot of minutes at the 3-4, especially if Carr is moved to the 5.

Once we get Damari back, this could be a lethal offensive team.

That is true, but it’s startling sometimes watching him. He is not ready for anything other than an alley oop lob. He doesn't see bounce passes coming his way, his feet don't stay with anyone moving around down there, he rebounds poorly for his size. It’s tough to watch.

He did have 1 of 5 total assists that weren’t Hildreth’s. IIRC, there was a pretty aggressive (bounce?) pass to him pretty deep on a break (?) that he corralled and passed back out (to Carr?) for a score.

Anyhow, I remember thinking something like, “hey that was Marsh!”.

Do we think Sallis is going to be okay by Friday? Or most likely sitting out? We'll be down bad but I'd rather have him fully healthy for the Charleston Classic
I hope he's okay. We're probably the most injured team in the country if he's out. We'd be down him/Damari/Jao. Canka fresh off concussion. Then Reid is a different beast but still.

Outside of the obvious elite of Sallis and Cam, and 2nd half Carr, I was very impressed with Friedrichsen and Marion.

Parker got beat on backdoor cuts 2-3 times, which is certainly coachable on not biting on the pop and dive plays. Marion has really good hands, which is something that we don't see a lot of out of freshman at Wake it seems. John Collins had elite hands and it was immediately noticeable. Obviously Marion isn't the same skill level as JC, but his hands and nose for the ball reminded me of JC. They should get a lot of minutes at the 3-4, especially if Carr is moved to the 5.

Once we get Damari back, this could be a lethal offensive team.
Marion can grab all those 50/50 rebounds Klintman was supposed to snag this year.

If Marion played 30 minutes, I could see some 4/10 or 5/12 type lines with double digit rebounds.

Couldn't catch the game live, so I stayed up and watched the replay after midnight. Obviously, the first half sucked. A definite lack of energy on defense and zero flow on offense.

Quick thoughts:
  • Hildreth and Sallis were both very good... Carr a beast, especially in the 2nd half.
  • Boopie had zero assists (and 3 TOs)... Sallis had 1 assist. If they are going to be our primary ball handlers, that will need to improve. I like the idea of Boopie as a facilitator on offense who can penetrate the defense to loosen things up and also hit open looks, while being a pest on defense. I don't like him as a primary scoring option, mostly due to his lack of size.
  • Canka was invisible. He's someone we need to fit into a role... Hopefully that was just one game.
  • Marion looked great. Quiet on offense, but that's fine. If he can be a 3 and D kind of a guy who rebounds, that'd be huge.
  • Friedrichsen is also going to be very good. He just needs more time in the weight room and more experience on the court. But he's helpful immediately as a scorer/shooter.
  • I'm not going to pile on Marsh. Will just say he's looked better... Definitely missed Appleby driving to the hoop and feeding him lobs.
  • Keller didn't play much, but he still looked soft. That's not a good sign against Elon.
Feels weird to say when we scored 101 points, but I have concerns about our offense against better competition.

Overall - Good win (and cover!), but this next one against Georgia will tell us more (and is important).

Parker and Damari spreading the floor for Cam/Sallis to drive is going to be just a lethal offense. That’s two shooters that you absolutely cannot help off of as a defender. I can’t remember we had something like that

First half was definitely one some of the basketball that I've watched. That being said, I really like how Hildreth has improved and really would like to keep Marsh on the bench.

Parker and Damari spreading the floor for Cam/Sallis to drive is going to be just a lethal offense. That’s two shooters that you absolutely cannot help off of as a defender. I can’t remember we had something like that
Yeah with the ability of Cam and Hunter to get to the basket, teams are going to have to pick their poison on what to do to either stop the drive/help, or just let those guys get to the rim.

First half was definitely one some of the basketball that I've watched. That being said, I really like how Hildreth has improved and really would like to keep Marsh on the bench.
The new guards still need to learn that a lob to Marsh is guaranteed two points.

The extended commentary where Stan predicted how many points Cam would score in the next 4 games by saying between 12 and 21 points for every game was so bizarre and hilarious. He’s so delightfully unhinged and rarely appears to worry about saying things that make actual sense.

The new guards still need to learn that a lob to Marsh is guaranteed two points.
Only if you have someone capable of both drawing in Marsh’s defender and throwing a well placed lob.

Tyree was incredibly good at that, and I don’t see Boopie doing it nearly as well

I thought Boopie was fine after he settled in a little bit. He basically didn’t play at all last year after getting hurt then redshirting at CMU right? His speed is definitely as advertised.

The extended commentary where Stan predicted how many points Cam would score in the next 4 games by saying between 12 and 21 points for every game was so bizarre and hilarious. He’s so delightfully unhinged and rarely appears to worry about saying things that make actual sense.
The exchange where the pbp asked him how many he thought Cam would average this year, and Stan paused and said "well it depends on how many shots he takes" made me legit LOL.

Back