• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 10: USC Upstate - Saturday 7 pm LJVM - RSN

The hat give away wasn't handled very well. I was one of the first people they let through the doors (at exactly 6PM - not a minute sooner, despite the fact that it was raining outside) and there were none left by the time I got through the metal detectors. They had clearly given a lot of them away way before they opened the doors.

Agree it wasn't handled properly. It was a mad rush to the table that had the hats. One entrance had no one handing them out, just a free for all on the table while another entrance had staff handing them out.

I can't wait until our athletic department has FUCK YOU money and we can hand out gifts like that to everyone who walks in the door. And a tee shirt on the back of every seat for big games

ok sport.

Aside from the fact that kids under 5 can’t be fully vaccinated, there’s also the part about teaching kids not to be selfish. The game/restaurant/store/etc asks us to wear masks to reduce the spread of disease. So we do it to show our kids that it’s more important to be kind to others and be a helper than to bitch and complain about the truly minor inconvenience of putting a mask on.

Kind of like going slightly out of our way to get that extra cart some asshole left in the parking space next to ours and putting it back in the corral.

No one really likes wearing a mask you know.

I agree with this sentiment. We grew up learning about how Americans made significant sacrifices for years during WW2 and always assumed they did it willingly and patriotically. Now, I'm positive that 50% of American citizens would have refused to sacrifice anything that resulted in a minor inconvenience if it hadn't been forced on them. We had a very short period where life changed dramatically during this pandemic, but now you can basically do anything you want to as long as you wear a simple mask.

I'm also pretty sure I hate these masks just as much as the selfish assholes who refuse to wear one. I can't stand wearing a mask while I stand in the entrance area of a restaurant before I take it off and eat and drink for an hour + in a crowded dining room. It makes no sense to me. I hate wearing a mask at Canes games and basketball games, where you can take it off to eat and drink, which people are doing all game long anyway. But I wear it, because (1) I'm not an asshole, (2) I'm not going to put the few people who are at high risk at even higher risk, and (3) I'm positive the people working at any of these establishments don't need another problem to deal with. I'm actually getting to the point of calling out strangers who refuse to wear one. If I have to do it and hate it, they should have to as well.

It’s going to be funny when 50 years from now sports historians want to learn about the first of Forbes’ 10 national championships. They come to this thread for the chapter on Alondes’ triple-double and it’s all arguing about mask mandates among people who largely agree with each other.

Totally agree that at the end of the day wearing a mask isn't that big of a deal and it's great that you are teaching your kids to make those small sacrifices. Personally I wear one anywhere that it's required unless the norm is to not follow it, like it is at the Joel. I still do wear my mask when outside of the student section on the concourse just as a courtesy to older fans, but I still think we don't need a Joel mandate. Regardless, this comment was never about masks and again I think your explanation about the lessons this teaches to children was a good point.

I was speaking more to the crowd that won't bring their 0-5 year olds to their families for the holidays because they're scared of covid, and the crowd that won't attend a game because of their fear. Reminds me of the kid in the movie Benchwarmers that won't leave his dark closet because he's afraid of the sun. The level of risk for vaccinated 5+ year olds and unvacccinated 0-5 is just nowhere near the point where you should be cutting off a child's social and family interaction for two years. Kids are far more likely to die in a car crash, so we should all just never drive a car to have that "extra layer of security" people use as a defense for placing unfair restraints on their children.

Last edited:
Totally agree that at the end of the day wearing a mask isn't that big of a deal and it's great that you are teaching your kids to make those small sacrifices. Personally I wear one anywhere that it's required unless the norm is to not follow it, like it is at the Joel. I still do wear my mask when outside of the student section on the concourse just as a courtesy to older fans, but I still think we don't need a Joel mandate. Regardless, this comment was never about masks and again I think your explanation about the lessons this teaches to children was a good point.

I was speaking more to the crowd that won't bring their 0-5 year olds to their families for the holidays because they're scared of covid, and the crowd that won't attend a game because of their fear. Reminds me of the kid in the movie Benchwarmers that won't leave his dark closet because he's afraid of the sun. The level of risk for vaccinated 5+ year olds and unvacccinated 0-5 is just nowhere near the point where you should be cutting off a child's social and family interaction for two years. Kids are far more likely to die in a car crash, so we should all just never drive a car to have that "extra layer of security" people use as a defense for placing unfair restraints on their children.

I’m not sitting at home instead of the Joel due to fearing Covid for my under 5 kid. I’m sitting at home because I’m not keeping my under 5 kid up till 12 on a school night (or staying up that late myself) to watch us play North Pigdick State. Attendance for these games has been this way for decades. And that was my original point. You’re just farting into the wind blaming straw man COVID fear.

It’s going to be funny when 50 years from now sports historians want to learn about the first of Forbes’ 10 national championships. They come to this thread for the chapter on Alondes’ triple-double and it’s all arguing about mask mandates among people who largely agree with each other.

Thoughts and prayers to the historians.

Nah. Not getting vaccinated shows a lack of character. If fully vaccinated adults, who have had their booster, and are sitting in a group of people know they know don't want to keep the mask on the entire game, it doesn't make them low character people.

I wear a mask 25 hours a week. I'm vaccinated and have my booster. Everyone in my group is vaccinated and has their booster. I'm not the problem. The ass holes who aren't vaccinated are the problem.

I also wear a mask when I'm at the games, other than when I have a beer in my hand, which is 80% of the time.

It is because of the non vaccinated ass holes that we can't have nice things.

I’m not sitting at home instead of the Joel due to fearing Covid for my under 5 kid. I’m sitting at home because I’m not keeping my under 5 kid up till 12 on a school night (or staying up that late myself) to watch us play North Pigdick State. Attendance for these games has been this way for decades. And that was my original point. You’re just farting into the wind blaming straw man COVID fear.

My comment had nothing to do with you sir obviously the opponent has a lot to do with attendance.

Let's not run off the 1 of the 3 students who care enough to post on these boards.

not saying anyone currently is running him/her off...Just putting it out there before anyone does.

Shouldn’t even be posting here should be out partying at one of the top party universities in America!

1 - props to marketing team, which got the head coach to buy into the Uncle Eddie hat that is meme worthy. Plus seems like fans were legit interested in getting a hat, ha.

2 - this team is fun to watch. Let's get past the two remaining OOC games (semi-away against Charlotte should not be overlooked).

My comment had nothing to do with you sir obviously the opponent has a lot to do with attendance.

I know. And not trying to run you off. When I was a student I was at every game too. It’s just these poorly attended games are a consequence of a fairly small and dispersed hardcore fanbase. I only bring up myself as an example because i think it’s the situation for many of us where it’s a pretty big task to get the family to a game

I know. And not trying to run you off. When I was a student I was at every game too. It’s just these poorly attended games are a consequence of a fairly small and dispersed hardcore fanbase. I only bring up myself as an example because i think it’s the situation for many of us where it’s a pretty big task to get the family to a game

Yep this is it. These were never well-attended. Too many WF fans/alums live too far away to make a weeknight game or to convince a spouse that a 3+ hour drive is worth it for a 7 PM Saturday night game against USC-Upstate.

1 - props to marketing team, which got the head coach to buy into the Uncle Eddie hat that is meme worthy. Plus seems like fans were legit interested in getting a hat, ha.

2 - this team is fun to watch. Let's get past the two remaining OOC games (semi-away against Charlotte should not be overlooked).

Agreed on both. But probably didn't have to twist Forbes arm to put on the cousin eddie hat. Forbes most likely do some funny/gimmicky stuff for as long as he's in WS. He knows EXACTLY what our fan base wants and needs.

were there other things at the game to tie in the Christmas Vacation theme? video clips or contests or was it just the hat and Forbes with the moose mug?

were there other things at the game to tie in the Christmas Vacation theme? video clips or contests or was it just the hat and Forbes with the moose mug?

It was well themed throughout. Video clips from the movie on the Jumbotron, jello eating contest, eggnog drinking contest, etc. The jib jab of the team singing Feliz Navidad was stellar.

Last edited:
Back