• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 11: Presbyterian Blue Hose -- Thursday 3 pm ACCN+ -- Updated

It's the difference in like 3 or 4 possessions out of a total of over 2000+ possessions for the season. It's not a big deal at all and comes out in the wash

I like seeing the walk ons get a chance to play but I can't imagine letting a 30+ point win turn into 23 will be good for the metrics
Have to wait for the final barometric pressure and humidity reading to see how we did.

Wake did basically what we "should" have done for about the 50th team in the country. We were within a 1-2 possession margin of every single projection plus Vegas. Seems pretty straightforward overall

Yeah every possession is treated equally

Seems like they could weight each possession by the margin and time remaining so a 1 point game late means more than a 1 point game early or a blowout late.

After today's game Wake has had 769 possessions over the course of the season and just a quick look shows that walk-ons have been in for like 10 to 12 of those possessions. Even if you say Wake would have scored on all 12 of those possessions and when walk-ons are in we scored on 0 of them (obviously neither is true), it barely moves the needle at all over the course of the season. Does it change the numbers in some capacity, of course, but other teams are also playing walk ons and it's super marginal

Wake did basically what we "should" have done for about the 50th team in the country. We were within a 1-2 possession margin of every single projection plus Vegas. Seems pretty straightforward overall
The point is we are trying to show we are better than the 50th team in the country

If putting in walkons make us look like the 50th best instead of 35-40th best, that sucks

Seems like they could weight each possession by the margin and time remaining so a 1 point game late means more than a 1 point game early or a blowout late.
If this was analytically predictive, I'd imagine they would have done that. Why would the last possession of the game matter more than the first for determining how good a team is overall (in the example where it's a 1 point game overall)

The point is we are trying to show we are better than the 50th team in the country

If putting in walkons make us look like the 50th best instead of 35-40th best, that sucks
I don't disagree in general. That being said, over the course of the season it's not remotely close to a 10-15 spot difference if you play your walkons for like 25-30 possessions over the course of the year.

Back