• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 11: VMI Keydets @ LJVM - 7 pm Tuesday - RSN

Whitt looked pretty good on Saturday vs Upstate. Not surprised that a freshman is up and down. Can't wait for some of yall to turn on Cam when he puts up another stinker.

Whitt looked pretty good on Saturday vs Upstate. Not surprised that a freshman is up and down. Can't wait for some of yall to turn on Cam when he puts up another stinker.

I don't think anyone has "turned" on Carter and nobody should turn on Cam either. Any freshman will be up and down like you said. Cam has just proven to be a much better player right now than Carter, which is why he plays so much more.

Depth is an issue. Sounds like WF is essentially playing with an 8 man roster (maybe Marsh gets some PT as the season goes, but maybe not). So, Cam and Whitt are going to get PT because of the lack of other options. Hope both improve through out the year. Cam has shown more flashes than Whitt, but you never know when the light will turn on and stay on.

Cam's offensive game should be more consistent given his ability in the post. He's got some solid moves and is clearly a strong dude. I think Whitt is an important piece to sub in for our starting guards, and when he's hitting open shots he's a big help.

Was hoping Whitt would follow up a good game against Upstate with another here. He has another chance against Charlotte, not sure he'll get much PT once conference season roles around unless there is foul trouble. Too early to assess him yet imo. He has shown flashes of court vision, he has good handles. His stroke looks good to me, all his misses are just slightly off. I want to see him with another full season of development under Forbes before evaluating.

Hildreth was playing his ass off, making the most of his minutes. Mucius and Sy as well in the 2nd half. Manman just took over, but don't want him to have to play 40 in the next game. It was easy to forget that we were missing our 1B player the whole game. LaRavia makes a huge difference.

Walton frustrates me a bit. Would bet a coach was in his ear about shot selection, as he was more discerning in the second half.

Depth is an issue. Sounds like WF is essentially playing with an 8 man roster (maybe Marsh gets some PT as the season goes, but maybe not). So, Cam and Whitt are going to get PT because of the lack of other options. Hope both improve through out the year. Cam has shown more flashes than Whitt, but you never know when the light will turn on and stay on.
Cam is getting playing time because he deserves playing time. He's not just being given it for lack of depth. He played a great game last night attacking the rim, hitting a big 3 to keep us in it in the first half when things weren't going our way, and he was physically getting after it on the glass all night with some big boy boards. Carter you could make the argument won't be playing when Monsanto returns.

Cam is getting playing time because he deserves playing time. He's not just being given it for lack of depth. He played a great game last night attacking the rim, hitting a big 3 to keep us in it in the first half when things weren't going our way, and he was physically getting after it on the glass all night with some big boy boards. Carter you could make the argument won't be playing when Monsanto returns.

Yes and no. I am Cam fan, but without Jake, who else was going to spell the starters last night? WF started Walton, Sy, Mucius, Williams and Williamson. Williams played 40 minutes (and his defense reflected that). If not Cam, who else was going to play when Walton, Sy and Mucius needed a rest? If everyone is healthy and available, WF has a short, but functional bench. When anyone is out (like Jake last night), WF has Cam and Carter and really nothing else.

So we are playing again on Friday. Anyone know the details on protocol for Laravia? He’s obviously vaccinated so hopefully can get back on the court soon. Even ManMan can only save us so many times.

Cam had a rough 5 game stretch including the 4 games against major conference teams. In those 4 games (OSU, LSU, NW, VT), he totaled 11 pts, 11 reb, 8 to in 54 minutes. I think that was a step up in competition for him. His competition in the BBL was a step or two below decent major conference teams.

He's going to get better, but it's good we don't need him to be a top player.

Whitt’s efficiency numbers are really bad. It’s too early to write him off completely, but he has a long way to go

Not only that, but his defense is terrible. Any player he is guarding seems to be able to drive to the basket anytime he wants to. I realize he really should be just a true freshman this year, and hopefully some more time in the weight room will help his agility and strength and that he will improve his decision making. I truly hope he develops into an ACC level talent, but he frankly has a ways to go.

Right now, whitt is all hair and no game.

So we are playing again on Friday. Anyone know the details on protocol for Laravia? He’s obviously vaccinated so hopefully can get back on the court soon. Even ManMan can only save us so many times.

Not all students and athletes are vaccinated. There are exemptions.

Carter is probably confused since last year no one could catch a pass, now we suddenly have guys with good to great hands. If anything he just needs to dial it back a notch, he thinks he can thread every needle on the court.

The kid is 18.
He'll be a great player for us.
Hair envy is such an ugly emotion.

Ha ha , when carter is my age he will wish he had my hair . That said, I wish I saw it with him, I just don’t .

UNC, Clemson and State are mostly playing 7 guys, Duke and Miami 8, so we are in good company even after an Achilles and transfer.

Whitt had a great game then a bad game. He’s 18 and probably cant bench press his weight. He will get stronger and a step quicker, and then his understand8ng of the game and instincts will come though,

I think Whitt will be fine. In fact, I bet he looks a lot better by the end of the year in spot minutes.

Back