• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 13: Duke Blue Devils @ LJVM - Tuesday 6:30 ACCN

Pilchard

Reaction score
Duke doesn't play OOC road games except when forced to do so every other year as part of the ACC/Big 10 Challenge (or the ACC/SEC Challenge going forward). So, given that Duke hosted an ACC/Big 10 game, tomorrow's game against Dook is the Devils first true road game of the season. Because the ACC would not want the precious Blue Devil program to face too much adversity, WF hosts Duke on Tuesday of Christmas week with the students long gone.

The Blue Devils (along with Kentucky another overrated program) are the most over-covered college hoops team in the nation. So, no scouting report on the Devils. FWIW, as always, there are six FIVE Star recruits on this team, including the #2, #3, #4 rated college bound recruits from the HS class of 22 (hey, we got #129 Zach Keller). Also as always, many of Duke's heralded recruits are under-performing, but based on the overwhelming talent, including two Power V conference transfers and a few holdovers , plucky Duke has struggled its way to a 10-2 (1-0 ACC) mark and #14 KP ranking (#9 in Torvik).

Duke Coach:

The face still hasn't changed:

1238515412.jpeg

Score Projection:

KP: 74-67 68 Possessions
Torvik: 72-66

Duke is huge, starting two 7 footers (7-0 Kyle Filipowski -- the #8 player in the nation under KP player rankings: 7-1 Dereck Lively -- has been a fouling machine). As a result, they lead the nation in offensive rebound percentage. WF isn't as big, but the Deacs are bigger than most. To hang in, WF will need solid games from Marsh, Bradford and Keller. One key is that, Duke's PG Jeremy Roach (the rare 5 star that is now in year 3 in college) missed the last game with a toe injury. If he is out tomorrow, Duke will have TO issues (Roach missed the last game against terrible MD-Eastern Shore, and the Devils had 19 TOs). Would lean WF, but not heavy as the Deacs aren't exactly hitting on all cylinders. If Roach is out for Duke, I would jump on the under.

Last edited:
Just tell me when it’s over. Watching us lose hurts. To these guys and Heels, just kill me.

I take it you didn't see the Rutgers game. I see us losing this one by 15+.

I was busy, saw the final score, and didn't bother watching it.

I also didn't watch the last 7 or so minutes of LSU.

But neither of those teams are Duke. And neither of those games were at home.

I get your point, though.

Roach is going to play tomorrow.
I expect a close game.

Scheyer ( like the K of old), will have a defense prepared to totally neutralize and piss off Appleby. Williamson and Carr will struggle against top flight athletes, as usual. Our big men will also struggle, which is not really new. Let Monsanto put up 30 shots— hitting an abnormal # of 3’s is our best chance.

It's going to be hard to watch Hildreth try to do too much.

Really hope Tyree can stay healthy & distribute the rock better. Our five guards combined for three total assists against Rutgers.

I think our best chance is for Carr & Monsanto to have career shooting nights.

Davien really struggled against Duke last year (0 fgs (0-8) in 48 minutes). He needs to step up big.

Type of game that can turn around our season. Not many of those chances in a given year. Win and we can get some confidence and a good resume builder. Lose and this team can really fall into a tailspin that could last a while.

It's going to be hard to watch Hildreth try to do too much.

Really hope Tyree can stay healthy & distribute the rock better. Our five guards combined for three total assists against Rutgers.

I think our best chance is for Carr & Monsanto to have career shooting nights.

Davien really struggled against Duke last year (0 fgs (0-8) in 48 minutes). He needs to step up big.
Am a Davien fan, and thought it was huge when he decided to return for a 5th year. While it's likely attributable to his back injury, Davien has done little this season other than his 24 point game in the win over UGA. His current O rating is 95.6 which is a career low. Last year, Davien had a 116 O rating. When Davien plays well, WF usually wins. He hasn't played so well lately...

When was the last time we beat Duke at home? Didn't [Redacted] get one his last year? I don't think Manning ever did - John Collins team was close.

Am a Davien fan, and thought it was huge when he decided to return for a 5th year. While it's likely attributable to his back injury, Davien has done little this season other than his 24 point game in the win over UGA. His current O rating is 95.6 which is a career low. Last year, Davien had a 116 O rating. When Davien plays well, WF usually wins. He hasn't played so well lately...

Feels a lot like last year, tbh. He scored 24 in game #2 (last year - Western Carolina, this year - Georgia), then had about a month and a half (Dec-Jan) where his shot was off (especially from 3) and he missed a couple of games. Mucius was was lights out from 3 early in the season, then slowed down later on when Daivien hit his stride. This year, I thought Monsanto would be that other 3 point shooter... But he's also been up and down.

I have to think he's not healthy. Once he's 100%, I think he'll be fine. His role on this team fits well with his skill set... Shoot (and make) the open 3, handle the ball when called upon, don't turn it over, make free throws, and play solid defense.

Daivien still hasn't learned when to pull out of a break and set up the offense, so he makes about 3 great plays a game that end in 0 points.

Daivien still hasn't learned when to pull out of a break and set up the offense, so he makes about 3 great plays a game that end in 0 points.

He'll learn that at the next level -- in Hungary.

Back