• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 13: Duke Blue Devils @ LJVM - Tuesday 6:30 ACCN

I thought 22 was for graduation year but now I’m leaning toward year of birth.

I too am an old man that's angry. Kids these days with their music, juking and jiving and disrespecting the game.
Haha, when I imagine watching an NBA game, my mental image is of four players standing toward the corners with their respective defenders and a big name taking someone off the dribble from the top of the key with an organ in the background playing the "Charge!" song. Maybe that's totally off base but I don't care enough to find out.

Bizarrely, and I mean it, I also don't love that NBA players are too... good. They're too good at basketball. If I'm watching a college game and someone takes a mid-range jumper, I have honestly no idea what will happen next. In the pros, everyone kind of starts backing toward the other end of the court cause it's just gonna go in and they don't want to get caught on a break. I dunno. The NBA is more one-on-one in nature than football, soccer, or hockey (bar teams like the early 10's Spurs) but less of an individual duel than the pitcher-batter dynamic in baseball. There's something about it that just doesn't interest me.

Then again, I also hate that NFL players can get off the ground and keep running if they weren't touched so maybe I'm just a cranky old man before my time. Likely.

The two most exciting things to the average basketball fan are dunks (the more spectacular the better) and three pointers going in (the deeper the better). Those two things are infinitely better in the NBA. It's also a faster game with shorter shot clock and it's also 20% longer which gives you more chances to see the exciting things whether it be those two I mentioned or a fantastic block or steal. College basketball - to me as I know everyone's MMV - has become unwatchable as a result of watching the NBA and going to Hornets games. The good players don't even play in college anymore and if they do it's just for one year. It's just rim clanks and dribbling off your foot and passing the ball to the ref on fast breaks.

You talking about college basketball or the Hornets?
If I was referring to the Hornets it would have been those things plus the other skills required to tank such as pulling up with fake hammie pulls, non-sensible substitutions, left-handed foul shots, committing crimes en masse, and an assortment like that. Veritable poetry in motion. I think I have now slammed home my point about how the NBA product is superior.

God I feel stupid.

I stopped watching the NBA because there was a stretch where you could basically predict the two teams who would be in the Finals and who would win it every damn year. Not sure if it’s still similar but that’s not fun to me.

I stopped watching the NBA because there was a stretch where you could basically predict the two teams who would be in the Finals and who would win it every damn year. Not sure if it’s still similar but that’s not fun to me.
But you like college football?

But you like college football?
I view college football in a different light. Teams are in tiers with different realistic goals. Winning the conference still matters in college (at least to me). Going to bowl games and beating rivals still matters (to me). I guess going to the playoffs matters in the pros? Winning your division in the NBA doesn’t matter. No one cares. But pro sports are different. Nothing really matters other than a championship.

how old are you LOL
22. I'm not being grumpy about which songs they play I just think people think my generation's attention span is less than it is and that's why we see Wake, the NBA, and other sporting orgs doing things like blasting music during all breaks in play.

It’s pretty wide open this year. The Bucks and Celtics are still good but a lot of teams could go far in the playoffs. The Lakers are mediocre at best. The Warriors were falling off even before Steph’s injury. There is a lot of great talent spread around the league.

Believe it or not it was a Saturday. Darius Leonard was our second leading scorer!

you mean shaquille leonard
:)

this surprised me though. i could name you 100s of random wake players. barry canty, tom wise, tony black, aron mcmillian (just off the top of my head) but there are a plethora of players during the lost decade i have no idea who they are/were. you posted that and i was like who the fuck is darius leonard (sans NFL star)

That Madison Jones stat line is something...0/0 in 29 minutes, six rebounds, two assists, two blocks (!!!), and a steal while going 1-5 from the FT line.

That Madison Jones stat line is something...0/0 in 29 minutes, six rebounds, two assists, two blocks (!!!), and a steal while going 1-5 from the FT line.
If memory serves me correctly.... Which I kinda hope it doesn't when thinking about those years.... Madison Jones was a horrible free throw shooter his whole wake career, which was concerning considering he was a starting point guard

Taking zero shots in 29 minutes is a truly unbelievable effort. Respect.

Back