• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 14: Miami Hurricanes @ WF - 2:15 Saturday - CW Network

If Jim Phillips was a real leader, he'd have a team of analysts figuring out how to duplicate what the MWC is doing and recommend non-con schedules for all ACC teams. He could also introduce tweaks to the ACC schedule like flex games designed to give teams additional Q1 games.

Oddly enough, I think that dominant, low post 5s could become more common in college despite the tendency towards NBA style offenses in college. Why? Because the mobile, 3 pt shooting centers will leave college after a year or two and there aren't that many to begin with (hence their value). Low post 5s won't get the attention from the NBA and with NIL competing with European salaries, more of them will stay until they are wiley veterans and dominate a la Bacot.
They'll definitely be common because the NBA doesn't want them. But will teams be able to win with them as opposed to good but less athletic centers who possess the skills the NBA wants?

Man it feels good to win these types of games again. The problem is going to be when we finally lose one and how the team reacts when we are doing our R2D2 metrics and they say that Wake, due to the loss, is no longer a bubble team.

As others have said, the addition of Reid makes this a different team. He has not been as good as I hoped him to be, but he's playing defense and rebounding for the most part, which is what we need in the middle. He just needs to stop with the dumb fouls because when he is out, it is noticeable.

A bit concerned about Carr's lack of offense in the last two games. Yes, he had the big three in the last game, and I'm not seeing any signs of injury. It's too early to have a late season fatigue slump, so I'll just chalk it up to a couple meh games.

Boopie continues to impress. No way in hell did I think he'd contribute the way he has. He has been nothing short of remarkable. Plus he's just as entertaining when he isn't taking it to the basket and is instead chucking up threes in a way similar to how I did in 8th grade when I didn't have the upper body strength to get it to the basket. It's comical, except his go in half the time and mine never did.

Love Cam doing Cam things, even when he misses some kind of key shot from two feet that looks easy but isn't. The guy has been an aggressive baller since Day One, unafraid of anything. He just continues to improve incrementally, and this year it has been clear that he worked on his three ball in the offseason. I think he was 0-6 from 2 yesterday, though.
Reid has been the difference. I believe his offense will continue to grow over time. His defense and shot blocking have put the team at a different level. Yesterday he had 5 blocks and again, not to continue to pile on Marsh, but Marsh only had 6 blocks ALL of last year.

Cam plays like he's got a jar of Icy Hot in his underwear. His energy is the grease that keeps the engine running.
Agree, but Carr needs to be taking more shots than he has attempted in the last two games. Looking around the ACC it is difficult to find another player at the power forward position that he should not dominant.

Reid averages 2.0 bpg, tied for 3rd in ACC play. He'd be 4th overall in he had enough games.

This happens every year now and it’s infuriating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We can’t lose to the UGa & LSU’s of the world early and expect to gain traction. We need to try and schedule like Duke & UNC for Nov/Dec and have Zona/UT/Mich St/UConn/KY/Baylor on there. Fewer Delaware St, NJIT/Char Sou. All the games mean the same instead of the old “last 10” meaning more (same as football).

I think we get Top 25 votes this week and if we beat FSU & UVa we get in Top 25. Just beat Noles on the road first.

If we’re doing random ass player comps…Cam reminds me of Bob Sura (FSU). Always looks a half step out of control. More athletic than you’d think on the bench. And something exciting is gonna happen when he is out there…it just may not be for your team.
I did not care for Bob Sura. One of those players you love to 'hate'. He could play, though. I'll give him that.

Maybe this is our breakout year where Forbes stops playing it safe on scheduling. Not to mention more success could open up more invitations to the events those teams get to participate in. Need to also get this group back next year. Yea I know lots of is’s. Trust in Forbes.

Cam just never lets up. Love the example he sets. That's leadership.

As an example from the music world, blues guitarist Buddy Guy is continually taking chances in his live playing. On rhe verge of being out of control. When it works, it's without peer. And, when it doesn't, it's still good. Never dull,though.

I get where NBA game is going but my comment is more what is best for Wake and Efton for results in our games. Efton is too big and not quite the quickness and dribble ability to be that NBA 5, but could dominate if he went the Timmy D route to play in post and dominate the paint the whole game long. Efton actually is super efficient like Timmy in that you don’t think they are doing much until you see another double double in the stats and he has that slow and methodical style like Timmy where if he used his size he could create a lot of easy shots for himself and others. And I would wager most nba gms would not turn down a Timmy D today if a player like him Came along. And just think Efton can be super dominant as a more traditional 5 and think he will be meh as a Euro 5 and really waste his size and strengths on perimeter. Just glad he got down in paint in OT as he was the diff to get us the W.

But in our five out offense, with the guards that we have, he is actually more valuable on the perimeter. He pulls out a defender, sets pics creating the matchups that we want to exploit, and it opens up driving lanes. Within our offense, that is much more valuable than him posting up to take his man. He should do that some, but that is not the normal flow of our offense, and would be taking the ball out of the hands of three guards that are great at creating their own shots and opportunities for others.

If we’re doing random ass player comps…Cam reminds me of Bob Sura (FSU). Always looks a half step out of control. More athletic than you’d think on the bench. And something exciting is gonna happen when he is out there…it just may not be for your team.
Cam needs to double the number of shots he takes to be Sura.

He can still hit the same number. Always seemed like Sura scored 30 points off 12/60 shooting.

Sura, Sam Cassel and Charlie Ward was some pretty good guard play. If we get that level out of Cam, Sallis and Boopie, I will be very happy and this team will not have to worry about making the tourney but how deep into it we will go.
man i miss those days of College Basketball in the ACC especially. Stacked teams and scumball chain smoking coaches. That's when all was right with the world.

This happens every year now and it’s infuriating

Before last year(SDSU), the Mountain West's last Sweet 16 team was in 2018. They are almost as bad as the Big 10 at getting teams in, and completely flopping. Good money betting against them both though.

Diving into random numbers while procrastinating a My Take and one last note on yesterday's game.

Miami is second in the country in "kill shots" per game (1.38), which is tracked at EvanMiya. A "kill shot" is a run of at least 10 straight points (Houston, as you'd imagine, leads the country at 1.54).

Miami didn't have any such runs yesterday; the most consecutive points they ever scored was the 7-0 run coming out of halftime.
Wake Forest had an 11-0 run early, going from down 14-11 to up 22-14.

Yeah even though Vegas doesn't follow the NET there's still influence on the lines from the action - going overrated NET parlay losers - Iowa State/BYU yesterday for example, is definitely a solid track for some cash.

Back