• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 17: Florida State @ LJVM - Wednesday 9 pm - ACCN

For what it's worth, John Hollinger actually tweeted about Cam a few weeks ago. I seem to recall he or someone else with a blue checkmark remarked that he could develop into a late 2nd round, two-way guy if he improves his jumper.

when is the last time we had three guys put up 20+ in a conference game?
Did this ever get answered? The game we don’t speak of is not the answer. Just a quick little research and the closest I found was the 3ot classic at unc and the 2ot game against GT (Harvey Hale)

Just went back and read through some of this thread.

The Hildreth take is just such an LOL bad one and the same guy keeps making it. Amazing.

He's averaging 13, 6, and 3 as a sophomore on a mid-tier ACC team. He has one of three triple-doubles in Wake Forest history (the other two are Tim Duncan and Alondes Williams).

In the same game where he is called "bad", he goes for a career high and single-handedly abused FSU for 5 minutes to start the second half and spur us up to a 20 point lead.

....and this guy is DYING on the hill that Cam is bad.

I'm pretty impressed that Forbes has already coached two of the three triple doubles. Who's next?

12 for FSU was trash, but I did love the 2 seconds where he airballed a 3 and then got t'd up right after. Why was that dude playing so much?

I think a large part of that is the freedom that Appleby and Cam seem to have where if they get a guy isolated in a matchup that we like, then they can go to the basket. Cam just exploited it over and over again to start the second half.

This is why Cam is a legit problem for opposing teams, particularly when Monsanto is playing well. It should be pretty obvious at this point that he's more athletic than folks give him credit for. He's quick enough that you can't just put a 4 on him and get a stop - Wisconsin learned that the hard way. But he's going to back down most 2's and simply be too physical for them, which FSU just learned the hard way. So a lot of teams are stuck deciding between putting their 3 either on Monsanto or Hildreth, with either one potentially biting them in the ass.

It can break down against a team like UNC who mostly plays three forwards and two of them are extremely athletic. That's where Cam's lack of outside shooting dictates more minutes for Daivien. There aren't many teams with enough defensive size and athleticism that can afford to put a guy like Leaky Black on Cam out of the gate though. And honestly UNC got pretty damn lucky that Monsanto only hit 1 three in the first half of that game.

Also he's just a Sophomore, and he's gotten a lot better very quickly. Imagine if he tacks on another inch or two on his vertical and keeps at it in the weight room - and can get that 3 point percentage somewhere in the 35%-40% range? He's averaging 13 and 6 in ACC play so far... His potential ceiling is shockingly high. Plus he's a perfect Forbes guy who isn't going to leave early.

12 for FSU was trash, but I did love the 2 seconds where he airballed a 3 and then got t'd up right after. Why was that dude playing so much?
The short answer is he doesn't. He plays roughly 25% of their minutes. Last night is the first time in a month he's gotten into double digit minutes, and he's scored 1 point in the last 5 games.

That was a pretty egregious flop too - he curled under (I think) DW's body and leg whipped him.

Easiest way is to download this app

Tap on audio tab
thanks

Really liked the four guard lineup with Carr at center. Chill talked about how the going four-out with legit shooters and allowing Hildreth to take advantage of favorable 1:1 matchups going to the basket is tough to defend.

Hildreth being able to consistently make even just 1/3 from three would be huge, although I'm a bit skeptical, his shooting mechanics are pretty horrid from what I can tell.

Found it pretty funny that Childress complained about that technical and then later said the foul on Cam was a good call when the FSU dude clearly shoulder-checked him while he was in perfect guarding position.

Basically his mantra is "only pussies fall down, just play on but also make fun of them" which makes a lot of sense in context of the McInnis crossover. Bet he's the guy in pickup games that never, ever calls fouls.

I only read one article about the Baba Miller suspension and it was on an FSU blog, but it certainly seems like a pretty egregious and tone deaf suspension by the NCAA

Great game all around. One thing- Williamson appeared to be on an upswing until last night, but he was awful in the first half. We will need him, as he is the only bench guy that could conceivably give 10+ during a game.

Back