• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 17: @ NC State -- Tuesday 7 pm ACCN

That’s because Teddy V is one of the best, both at game management and grading out on calls. You want him home or away because he will make the call under any situation. Plus he grades out at 95+% in final 4 minutes of games. Put his theatrics aside, all coaches want him in the big game.
i unignored you just so i could dislike this post, you cockbite

We aren't going to the tourney. We have no toughness on the road. None.

The arrival of Reid only helps when he's in the game, and only because he's such a marked improvement over his replacements. But he only plays half a game because he collects stupid fouls. He would be a liability if we had real backups.

It's one game, but it reaffirms my opinion that Marsh is the better backup than Keller. And I don't think it's close.

I don't know why we can't go get some big corn fed motherfucker from the MAC or A10 with basic rebounding ability and athleticism to rebound the ball and score an occasional basket.

State deserves credit for bringing a crowd that we rarely see at the Joel.

State also deserves credit for playing really tight defense.

The refs sucked, but they sucked universally. I don't know how they have jobs. Probably because the ACC isn't the premiere basketball conference anymore and gets castoffs. The quadruple technical call (specifically the double T on Sallis) was to cover their asses so they'd get out of there alive. Again, it would be nice to see our crowd in its sweater vests and khakis put the fear of God into some officials now and then.

Middlebrooks is a fucking bitch.
I agree with all of this but feel exactly the opposite about Marsh.

I truly don’t understand the Marsh rotation. He had DNP-CD over the last four weeks. Now he plays 17 minutes?

Either he’s valuable and has a role, and so you play him some over the past four weeks, or he’s unplayable, and you don’t give him 17 minutes tonight.

Their defense was smothering and physical in the 2nd. The press gave us zero time for the half court sets and we forced too many garbage and contested shots. Not to mention turnovers.

2 road games that the team couldn't overcome physicality from the opponent. There's a recipe for beating the Deacs.

Yep - the book for beating the Deacs is to out-tough them. Either prove the book wrong, or lose.

Their defense was smothering and physical in the 2nd. The press gave us zero time for the half court sets and we forced too many garbage and contested shots. Not to mention turnovers.

2 road games that the team couldn't overcome physicality from the opponent. There's a recipe for beating the Deacs.
They were playing tight, physical defense and we seemed unable to scrape the defender off with a screen. It looked to me like our ballhandlers were doing a poor job of using the picks. You have to set up your defender by getting them leaning the wrong way and then go by really close to the screen so they can't squeeze through. Their defenders were consistently able to stay with our ballhandlers through the screens - and we were not able to do the same thing on the other end.

We aren't going to the tourney. We have no toughness on the road. None.

The arrival of Reid only helps when he's in the game, and only because he's such a marked improvement over his replacements. But he only plays half a game because he collects stupid fouls. He would be a liability if we had real backups.

It's one game, but it reaffirms my opinion that Marsh is the better backup than Keller. And I don't think it's close.

I don't know why we can't go get some big corn fed motherfucker from the MAC or A10 with basic rebounding ability and athleticism to rebound the ball and score an occasional basket.

State deserves credit for bringing a crowd that we rarely see at the Joel.

State also deserves credit for playing really tight defense.

The refs sucked, but they sucked universally. I don't know how they have jobs. Probably because the ACC isn't the premiere basketball conference anymore and gets castoffs. The quadruple technical call (specifically the double T on Sallis) was to cover their asses so they'd get out of there alive. Again, it would be nice to see our crowd in its sweater vests and khakis put the fear of God into some officials now and then.

Middlebrooks is a fucking bitch.

I was there. The place was maybe 35-40% full and dead the entire game until the end. It was an awful crowd and gameday atmosphere.

Very poorly coached game by Forbes. You just can't play Marsh in the 2nd. Play 5 guards, give up every rebound. I don't care. Marsh is destroys our offense and is even worse on D. Forbes also should have sat Cam for an extended period of time.

That should have been an easy road W. There was no atmosphere, their coach got tossed in the 1st half, they didn't make a single 3, and their best player was out most of the game! What else can you ask for?

LOL. You mean the combo of Marsh and Keller wasn't a glowing success? Marsh doesn't destroy our offense. State did a fine job of that all second half. We passed up easier looks early in the possession and then had to settle for forcing something with no time left on the clock. Marsh's defense tonight was as good as anything Keller provides. His rebounding was better, not that either has a high bar.

And sitting Cam in favor of who? We are a thin team. Very strong starting 5, but nothing beyond that.

How can you say there was no atmosphere? Their crowd was loud even with the empty seats. I'd kill for an atmosphere like that at the Joel.

It's easy to blame Marsh or Keller when the issue is increasingly Eff-ton of Fouls and his inability to stay in the game.

We provide our dribblers no help because we always have four players on one side of the basket when a dribbler gets stuck and he has nobody to turn around and pass to in order to get out of trouble. This is a common issue with Forbes' teams. We are really good at standing around like that.

Marsh played today because Keller is a little soft and State had the bigs causing us trouble. He did ok, normally I prefer Keller (this season) because he is more mobile and better hands.

Just a bad game for us.

They were playing tight, physical defense and we seemed unable to scrape the defender off with a screen. It looked to me like our ballhandlers were doing a poor job of using the picks. You have to set up your defender by getting them leaning the wrong way and then go by really close to the screen so they can't squeeze through. Their defenders were consistently able to stay with our ballhandlers through the screens - and we were not able to do the same thing on the other end.
Except for the guy with the ball, our dudes stand around too much. Multiple times we had guys trapped and no one even bothered thinking about going to that side of the court to help.

I was there. The place was maybe 35-40% full and dead the entire game until the end. It was an awful crowd and gameday atmosphere.

Because they were losing the entire game. They were loud when it got close. What I heard on the TV was louder than anything I've heard at the Joel in years.

This was the most maddening aspect of the game for me. They would come off a simple ball screen at the elbow and have a 4 foot cushion in all directions for an easy jump shot.

Marsh is unplayable. Constantly out of position. Slow. Can't set a screen, can't rebound, doesn't roll toward the basket, and can't score. State paid him zero attention on defense and it killed our offense.

As for Cam, Parker should have been playing for him during large chunks of the game before we were in foul trouble. He was off. Hell, during warmups coming out of half he had 2-3 airballs from three.

Except for the guy with the ball, our dudes stand around too much. Multiple times we had guys trapped and no one even bothered thinking about going to that side of the court to help.
Our offense can be really hard to watch at timea. Very little motion and screening action. Too much iso with the other four standing and watching (as you said). It can be very entertaining when our guys can break the other team down with one-on-one moves but completely ineffective when well defended.

A great example was Cam tonight. Couldn't beat his man off the dribble so resorted to throwing up wild shots off ill-advised drives.

Deacons with a terrible effort over the final ten minutes of the game. Outscored by State 34-16. When a team surrenders 34 points in ten minutes, they have nobody to blame but themselves for the loss. The coaching left something to be desired as well.

This was the worst game the guards have played this year. Collectively they shot 11-37 from the field and 2-13 from three. The State defense stripped them of their composure and the Deacs forgot to move the basketball as a team. There were few if any good shots in the second half. Carr did his best to keep Wake in the game.

Bench points were lopsided, 30-2 for State. Not a good sign when you're entering the second half of the season.

Back