• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 17: WF plays the most under-performing program - Duke Wed. 7 pm ACCN

It was a huge stretch that kept us in it before that 8-0 run to end the half. Then Scheyer told his players to post up Williamson and he was basically done for the night.

Williamson is averaging 8.2 ppg, 3.0 rpg, and 1.0 apg while shooting 7/19 2FG (37%) and 6/25 3FG (24%) over his last five games...

We absolutely have to have better shooting from Whitt and Williamson. You're just not going to win many Duke games with only two guys who can shoot. The defensive strategy becomes junior high level with double-teams, box-and-one and triangle and two.

As my high school coach told me back in the day.... I was open for a reason.

Williamson is averaging 8.2 ppg, 3.0 rpg, and 1.0 apg while shooting 7/19 2FG (37%) and 6/25 3FG (24%) over his last five games...

also 9-12 FTs.

unclear whether DWill had Covid-19 or was just exposed, although Forbes said he was "feeling better", so I'd at least take that into consideration when evaluating his performance vs. Duke.

Whitt's corresponding numbers are 0.2 ppg, 2.2rpg, 2.0 apg while shooting 1/6 2FG (17%) and 0/8 3FG (0%) 0/0 FT

also 9-12 FTs.

unclear whether DWill had Covid-19 or was just exposed, although Forbes said he was "feeling better", so I'd at least take that into consideration when evaluating his performance vs. Duke.

Whitt's corresponding numbers are 0.2 ppg, 2.2rpg, 2.0 apg while shooting 1/6 2FG (17%) and 0/8 3FG (0%) 0/0 FT

6/8 FT last night, though. 4 total attempts in previous 4 games. He’s just been killing us.

6/8 FT last night, though. 4 total attempts in previous 4 games. He’s just been killing us.

they both need to improve

Daivien's O rating is 117. Carter's is 68. Last year Daivien's was 109. Carter's was 71. Comparing the two...there is no comparison.

they both need to improve

Daivien's O rating is 117. Carter's is 68. Last year Daivien's was 109. Carter's was 71. Comparing the two...there is no comparison.

except one is a senior and one is a freshman

i'd personally like to see more of what the freshman can do

Even if it means we lose an extra game or two?

I personally don’t think we have that luxury. A bid this year would be huge. We need to pull out all the stops to get that done. I’m not “off Whitt” but I’m not so sold on him that I’m ready to bet the program on it.

I agree with you awakegirl. It’s the same reason I’d rather not see more of McCray and Taylor at this stage if they aren’t ready either.

Also, I’d generally rather play seniors (if capable, consistent) than less consistent underclassmen that aren’t ready to produce. Just because someone isn’t ready as a freshman doesn’t mean they won’t be more ready later. The time to see what they have is when they’re the best option to contribute to wins.

I mean, I would argue Whitt and Williamson have been about equally effective when it comes to beating teams that matter? Most of Williamson's success was against low major competition and he's just not a point guard...

I'm also open to seeing more Hildreth and McCray, but Hildreth doesn't really look like much of a point guard either in limited minutes.

We just really need a guy who can play off Williams/LaRavia, keep the ball moving when those guys aren't able to get to the rim, and hit open shots. If we can't find this guy somewhere on our roster, then this season's ceiling is going to be similar to our First Four exit with Manning imo.

If their conference numbers were similar, you’d have a point. But the gap actually widens in conference play — and Williamson’s offensive rating is basically the same as his overall rating. And lest we think that’s just due to small sample size, the same was true last year.

Overall O-rating: Williamson 114, Whitt 68
2021: Williamson 107, Whitt 68

Conference-only: Williamson 112, Whitt 53
2021: Williamson 105, Whitt 62.

Again, we’re talking about a freshman and a senior (or HS senior and college junior).

Anybody who has watched Daivien’s last five games knows that playing alongside ManMan and Jake are a lot more responsible for his ORtg than anything he’s been doing…

But yeah we should definitely keep starting the 6’1 shooting guard who can’t shoot and doesn’t pass anymore as our point guard !

I remember Wilbekin as one of our better shooters during the bad times - didn't he lead the team in threes for a season?

Again, we’re talking about a freshman and a senior (or HS senior and college junior).

Anybody who has watched Daivien’s last five games knows that playing alongside ManMan and Jake are a lot more responsible for his ORtg than anything he’s been doing…

But yeah we should definitely keep starting the 6’1 shooting guard who can’t shoot and doesn’t pass anymore as our point guard !

Did you actually watch the first 3 minutes of last night’s game? You must not have.

I remember Wilbekin as one of our better shooters during the bad times - didn't he lead the team in threes for a season?

He did, but he was another undersized two guard who couldn't guard anybody in the ACC and played PG for us despite not really being much of a distributor. If Daivien shot as well as Mitchell did in the ACC, then he would be playable at least...

Back