• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 19: @ UNC - Monday 7pm - ESPN

8-4 would be a good finish and puts us in line for a bid. Need 3-1 in our next 4.

Last edited:
I was in attendance tonight, and they were physically stronger than us at every position on the floor (save for Efton holding his own against Bacot). This will be the third season in a row that our inability to win road games will keep us out of the tournament. We have plateaued at pretty good, but tonight was pretty damning across the board. Here’s hoping for something better (finally) in 2025.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do our guys spend any time in the weight room? Other than Cam, they all look rather scrawny.

Was there as well, was a tough scene. Great answer to them going up 8 in the first half, not surprisingly basically all because of Damari. Then we just gave them absolutely nothing the 2nd half. Damari played weird minutes, didn't come in while they extended it to 10+ I think. Boopie and Cam gave us nothing, every shot cam took was horrible. He's hurt, needs to be backed down to 20 minutes or so, play tough get a couple bunny baskets and make some hustle plays. Never shoot the ball again this year. Damari needs to be at 25 minutes a game going forward, he is a spark plug to the nth degree. Reid was great, Bacot may as well have not even been in the game tonight. RJ is light years better than boopie or Hunter, and it showed. He absolutly dominated us. He basically is the reason for the big win and our horrible shooting, which was caused by their great d. Bad game, but we aren't a bad team. Break is coming at a good time, and we have some put up or shut up games coming up. Going to be a nerve wracking 2-3 weeks but we have everything to still be playing for.

8-4 would be a good finish and puts us in line for a bid. Need 3-1 in our next 4.
I would be happy with that finish but how does that put us in line for a bid? Do those eight wins include a sweep of Duke?

To provide a little solace.......we smacked UNC at the Joel by 22 points 2 years ago (literally on January 22nd).............and they went on to make the championship that year LOL.

😅

Huge blow to our chances. I think we were 40% chance going into game. Prob around 20-25% now. 9-3 is absolutely best case scenario. Would need to win 2 games in tournament. I just don’t see it. Wouldn’t be surprised if we lose out on the road
Boopie is absolutely done
Cam has become a detriment - and was heading that way before the injury
We need Monsanto to catch fire and Ituka to give us 15-25 solid minutes at PG
LOL.

We wouldn't need to win 2 ACC tournament games if we finish 9-3 (assuming at least 1 win is vs. Duke). We'd almost assuredly have the double bye.

Boopie is struggling against bigger/stronger guards, but is far from done. Needs to play more as a distributor vs. a scoring PG.

Cam was leading the ACC in scoring for a few games before the injury. He needs to play within his new limitations though to be sure.

Ituka is never going to play 15-25 min for this team with 4 other quality guards.

Basically, 2/10 post, would not read again.

I would be happy with that finish but how does that put us in line for a bid? Do those eight wins include a sweep of Duke?
People are significantly underestimating our position right now. We have a net in the mid-forties. It's not like we're trying to make up huge ground there. We have no Q3 or Q4 losses and we haven't played a large number of Q3 or Q4 games. 8-4 would give us several more Q1 or Q2 wins and would give us a tournament resume.

Teams that have 13-7 or 14-6 ACC records and don't make it have glaring holes in their resume like wake two years ago, when 18 of our 23 wins were Q3 or Q4.

Last edited:
I thought we played a decent first half - we obviously had some lapses defensively in the second (especially in transition) that led to a lot of easy buckets.

Tip the cap to UNC - they're in elite form right now, and Davis attacking against our drop PnR coverage was a recipe for disaster.

I have some ongoing concerns about our second half woes, as well as our substitution patterns when Reid and Carr need breaks (they should NEVER be out at the same time). I also don't really know what else we can do, but Keller cannot be in that game last night. He is a massive liability and we're playing 4 on 5 when he's in the game. Just 1-3-1 or 2-3 zone them for 2 minutes with Carr at the 5 before you play Keller. We're a big man short of having a damn good roster, but as is, it's still capable of making the second weekend of the NCAAT if we can get in.

I don't really take a lot from last night as far as it hurting us overall. Dropped 2 in the NET and 3 in KP. 8 days now to get ready for what is a HUGE game against Pitt. Gotta start racking up some road wins if we're getting to that 13 win mark we need to be at.

It just boggles my mind how the same team can hit 18 3s and then two days later shoot 15% from 3.
well if it helps, Louisville is the 243rd worst defensive team in D1 per Kenpom, and North Carolina is 4th. Feel like that explains a lot!

It really blows that Wake's two Q1 chances thus far have been a road game against a top 5 team in the country and a neutral floor game with our starting center still ineligible to play. It's tough to evaluate our ability to win the big games with those two as the only ones so far.

I'd agree with others that last night was much more of a missed opportunity than a huge setback. But moving forward, we only have so many more opportunities at resume-improving wins. The big ones left are away games at Pitt, Duke, UVA, and VT and home games against Clemson and Duke. Anything less than going 3-3 in those 6 games is probably not going to be good enough, and if we drop both Duke games we probably need to go 4-2.

One thing that I'm not a fan of, especially seeing the lack of adjustment after it has torched us in 2 out of the last three games, is our insistence on continuing to fight over the top of the screens. I know we're trying to limit 3 point looks, but Boopie especially is getting held out of position for way too long and then Reid or Carr are just getting absolutely torched on the switch. Davis probably had 18 or 20 just on this alone last night. Also, as good as Reid is on 1v1 post defense, he seemingly always makes the wrong decision when it comes time to help on penetration.

I get the overall philosophy, but we're super late to step up as Reid/Carr, and then we're not rotating at all to help the helper.

One thing that I'm not a fan of, especially seeing the lack of adjustment after it has torched us in 2 out of the last three games, is our insistence on continuing to fight over the top of the screens. I know we're trying to limit 3 point looks, but Boopie especially is getting held out of position for way too long and then Reid or Carr are just getting absolutely torched on the switch. Davis probably had 18 or 20 just on this alone last night. Also, as good as Reid is on 1v1 post defense, he seemingly always makes the wrong decision when it comes time to help on penetration.
I see fighting over the top against Davis, but not Cadeau.

Also, maybe I don’t know basketball, but it seems like multiple times in The past few games, the opposing big sets a screen with some room to fight over the top and as soon as our guard tries to shoot that gap, he slides up (or leans up) to make contact and screen the guard. Happens repeatedly but isn’t called. It didn’t think you could do that.

I think Carolina can win the title this year. Their guards are damn good. I thought our bigs did a good job last night besides Reid stepping out and taking those threes. We have other guys to take those shots. Cam’s mins need to be reduced significantly, thought he shot us out of the game when they went on that run in the second half. Defensively we’re just giving them wide open jump shots and runners in the lane and that has killed us in the State and UNC games. I’d like to see Parker get more of Cam’s mins until Monsanto gets ramped up. Love the way Parker plays and he does a good enough job defensively imo.

Back