• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 19: @ UNC - Monday 7pm - ESPN

I mean, we could easily be 3-1 on the road in the ACC, while playing the top 3 teams record wise currently in the ACC (along with BC). I 100% get the "coulda/shoulda/woulda", but I don't know how you watched us play our four road games and ask the question of "what has yielded any sort of confidence in our ability to play well away from the Joel".

Up 10 with under 10 against State, tied with FSU at the 6 minute mark. Obviously we were up 1 at the half last night. The first two games were easily winnable.

Our "stagnant" offense is the 5th most efficient offense in ACC play, and 31st in the nation for the entire season.

I am convinced some of you aren't watching the same games that I am and just want to be pessimistic for fun.
You’re right about one thing. Some of us aren’t watching the same games. At all. Games are 40 mins last I checked. And getting boat-raced for large parts of the second halves, much to our chagrin, counts.

I agree, but i'm just talking about games close to tossups as being "gettable".

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk
Yeah - KP has us at 3.1-2.9 projected on the road for the final 6 games. That would put us at 4-6 on the road and gives us a loss at home to play with to get to 13 wins.

You're an idiot.

Even with RJ Davis going off on the open looks (which, yes, I am sure that Forbes wants better defense than that), UNC was 17/30 from mid-range (1.13 PPP), and 5/15 from 3 (1 PPP), so they were getting .13 more of a basket every time we allowed that to happen instead of a 3. So even in a game where Davis absolutely cooked us, and most of them were open 2's where we provided little resistance, it only comes out to that.
Could've stopped with the bold, it rings true.

You’re right about one thing. Some of us aren’t watching the same games. At all. Games are 40 mins last I checked. And getting boat-raced for large parts of the second halves, much to our chagrin, counts.
You asked what has been seen so far on our road games that makes [us] think we can win away from the Joel and I answered you.

We have already won a game away from the Joel, we have had the lead late in the second half against two of the other three teams we have played on the road, and we had the lead at the half against the No. 3 team in the country.

I fully understand games are 40 mins, but what I have seen so far indicates to me with overwhelming confidence that we can play well, and win away from the Joel.

UVA is 10-0 at home, that's going to be a tough one to get on the road (obviously not impossible). In our 5 losses this year we've led at the half in 3 of them.

Forbes says it all the time, have to play a complete game. Hopefully that starts next week against Pitt.

You asked what has been seen so far on our road games that makes [us] think we can win away from the Joel and I answered you.

We have already won a game away from the Joel, we have had the lead late in the second half against two of the other three teams we have played on the road, and we had the lead at the half against the No. 3 team in the country.

I fully understand games are 40 mins, but what I have seen so far indicates to me with overwhelming confidence that we can play well, and win away from the Joel.
I hope you’re right. But overwhelming confidence? I mean - fuck it - I envy you. I’m not mad, I’m impressed.

Reid is 4-16 from 3 so far, so that's a pretty small sample size for those of you talking about his percentage from out there. And considering he's shooting 88% from the FT line (24-27), I imagine that his 3PT% in the long run will be quite a bit better than 25%.

I agree that he shouldn't be taking contested threes or threes really early in the shot clock, but if he's wide open in the flow of the offense I have no issue with that shot. Especially if it's only once or twice a game.

I hope you’re right. But overwhelming confidence? I mean - fuck it - I envy you. I’m not mad, I’m impressed.
I didn't say I have overwhelming confidence to necessarily win a ton of games, I do have overwhelming confidence that we can play well, because we have done so for spurts in every single road game this year. Of course we have to put it together and winning is all that matters, but I was responding to your initial assertion that we were all doom and gloom on the road without a prayer to win away from the Joel. That is factually incorrect (since we already beat BC) and I also believe, based on what I have seen so far, that we will win enough away from the Joel to get the job done this season.

Reid is 4-16 from 3 so far, so that's a pretty small sample size for those of you talking about his percentage from out there. And considering he's shooting 88% from the FT line (24-27), I imagine that his 3PT% in the long run will be quite a bit better than 25%.

I agree that he shouldn't be taking contested threes or threes really early in the shot clock, but if he's wide open in the flow of the offense I have no issue with that shot. Especially if it's only once or twice a game.
He's also 4/11 in conference play.

I agree with this assessment, but then again not every team is going to have an RJ Davis that can just torch the drop coverage.

I kinda think that Forbes is setting up defense this way primarily to avoid Reid getting into foul trouble by picking up fouls trying to hedge on screens. Playing drop coverage and forcing teams to make floaters and pull up 2s at the very least minimizes the chances of Reid picking up a foul. And the way this team is constructed, foul trouble for Reid is about the worst problem possible.
Not to beat a horse completely to death, but why not go zone to keep Reid out of foul trouble. If there was one thing Carolina had problems with last night it was outside shooting. I mean some real bricks were going up when they took them. However since it was so easy to get to the rack, they didn't need to take them.

Or just go zone when Reid is out of the game so we don't have to play Keller.

I didn't say I have overwhelming confidence to necessarily win a ton of games, I do have overwhelming confidence that we can play well, because we have done so for spurts in every single road game this year. Of course we have to put it together and winning is all that matters, but I was responding to your initial assertion that we were all doom and gloom on the road without a prayer to win away from the Joel. That is factually incorrect (since we already beat BC) and I also believe, based on what I have seen so far, that we will win enough away from the Joel to get the job done this season.
Whoa whoa whoa - let’s not act like we conquered a demon in BC. We blew a 10 point lead in 30 seconds and needed some late heroics to steal a game in front of 200 fans.
We are 1-4 on the road and could easily be 0-5 without an andrew carr corner 3.
Uga outplayed us 38 mins and we stormed back late
FSU beat us from the jump and ripped it away
State and UNC wrecked us in the second half

I get it. You’re optimistic. Fine. But don’t “factually incorrect” someone when the above are the facts.

whoa, had no idea reid was so money from the line.

but yeah, reid being able to stretch the floor from 3 would be huge.

dallas walton started off cold from three as well and people were going nuts about it

It was an encouraging 1st half. That's all I got.

And is it just me, or is this UNC team much better on the defensive end than they usually are?
RJ Davis is the ACC POY. Bacot averages a double-double (neutralized last night, though). Harrison Ingram is the best transfer Hubert has gotten.

All of it pales in comparison to how good that team is defensively.

whoa, had no idea reid was so money from the line.

but yeah, reid being able to stretch the floor from 3 would be huge.

dallas walton started off cold from three as well and people were going nuts about it
His stroke looks good. I’m fine with him firing up 1-2 in flow of offense (best if it’s a “we are up 10” situation instead of a “down 5 late” kinda deal). The one over Bacot last night was a no-no-nooooo

It is really hard to win road games in college basketball. This team has the chance to be Wake's first team to go undefeated at home since 2005. If that is accomplished and they pick up the 2 roadies versus GT and ND, they are going to be in 3rd place of the league with a double bye and many of you are going to talk about how bad they are. Watching this program over the past many of years, it is weird that some of you aren't somewhat excited about this team.
For perspective purposes, UCONN finished at 5-5 on the road in league play last year after starting 1-4. Neither of those stats scream that they were about to steamroll through the entire NCAA tournament (they also lost in the conference tournament).

Back