• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 19: @ UNC - Monday 7pm - ESPN

Well that's the opposite of our defensive philosophy as whole, which is the biggest issue i think. I would like to see some full court press to a like 1-3-1 or 2-3 when Reid is out though just for different looks (and keeping certain guys out of the game).

The drop coverage is definitely becoming an issue against good teams with above average guards. I completely understand why Forbes is using it this year and its smart in theory, but I think you have to start adjusting in-game more and scrapping it when the mid-range pull-ups and floaters are dropping consistently. Non-drop coverage will at least force the ball out of the elite scorer's hands and make other guys hit shots. If they hit them, so be it. We can score with most teams so allowing a couple of 3's shouldn't be a huge deal, assuming they cool-off and don't hit them at like an 80% clip the entire game.

I do not understand the timing of Monsanto's minutes in the second half.
In the first half, Monsanto gave the team a boost with his 3 point shooting at a critical time, helped erase a deficit, and gave the Deacs a 1 point lead at the half.
In the second half, when the Blue Goats got the lead up to 10-12, the game was still winnable and I do not understand why Wake's staff did not turn to Monsanto to give the Deacs a shot at getting back into the game. Instead, he sat on the bench until the lead was up to 20+ and the game was basically over. Then he was inserted into the game and actually played until the end.

This. As I posted earlier, we seem to get flustered when games get tight or tilt away from us. That's what concerns me. I didn't expect to win last night but the Monsanto minutes were beyond a head-scratcher. And no I'm not for firing Forbes. But the NCSU 2nd half and the UNC 2nd half were not pretty to watch.

Monsanto should be an in case of emergency option. He can hit some threes to stop a run, force adjustments, and calm down the halfcourt offense.

Rewatched the game. We ran plenty of offensive sets, but Carolina has an elite defense TBH and they shut most of it down. Their offense is pretty vanilla, IMHO which is why I think anyone criticizing last night’s coaching performance needs to start with our defense. The drop coverage got exposed early and often and we did absolutely nothing to counter it. Very frustrating. Beat Pitt and get back on track.

Monsanto should be an in case of emergency option. He can hit some threes to stop a run, force adjustments, and calm down the halfcourt offense.
In the post game presser, Forbes said that, last night, they exceeded the planned minutes limitation for Damari. So, as frustrating as it is to watch WF struggle with Monsanto on the bench, it's going to be that way for a while and perhaps all season. Better than not having him at all.

In the post game presser, Forbes said that, last night, they exceeded the planned minutes limitation for Damari. So, as frustrating as it is to watch WF struggle with Monsanto on the bench, it's going to be that way for a while and perhaps all season. Better than not having him at all.
Monsanto was on the bench BEFORE he went over his minutes limitation AFTER the game was out of hand. Monsanto could have played fewer minutes in better spots to stop the bleeding.

I'm saying he'd be used best in an "emergency" as a spark outside the rotation except for a few planned minutes at the 4 to relieve Carr. Plan to play him 2-3 minutes at the 4 in each half. Then put him in a minute or so before a TV timeout to stop runs. That would put him closer to the 11 minutes he played against Louisville than the 15 he played last night.

I was agreeing with your suggestion as to how to use Damari; was simply posting what Forbes said.

Rewatched the game. We ran plenty of offensive sets, but Carolina has an elite defense TBH and they shut most of it down. Their offense is pretty vanilla, IMHO which is why I think anyone criticizing last night’s coaching performance needs to start with our defense. The drop coverage got exposed early and often and we did absolutely nothing to counter it. Very frustrating. Beat Pitt and get back on track.

TITCR

I definitely underrated UNC going into that game, and I won't be doing that again this year.

Davis has built a really strong team.

Losing to arguably the #1 team in the country on the road does not worry me. There are many left for the taking.

What concerns me is how we appeared to lose our composure in the 2nd half.

Onward and upward!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
I hear you, but eventually we’ve got to get it done. At some point you put up or shut up.

One additional thought…Boopie consistently got in front of his defender and would then stop, pivot and ball fake into two players that collapsed on him. If he would just keep going, I think he would have a lot more scoring opportunities and passing lanes. He’s looking to make the pass which is good overall, but we need him to be more assertive moving forward.

So this is a good post. I wonder what it looks like against state fsu and unc on a neutral court. We play well at home poorly on the road. We play well against mediocre to bad teams and fold against solid teams. I think on a neutral site we beat fsu lost to unc and ncsu is a toss up.

The drop coverage is definitely becoming an issue against good teams with above average guards. I completely understand why Forbes is using it this year and its smart in theory, but I think you have to start adjusting in-game more and scrapping it when the mid-range pull-ups and floaters are dropping consistently. Non-drop coverage will at least force the ball out of the elite scorer's hands and make other guys hit shots. If they hit them, so be it. We can score with most teams so allowing a couple of 3's shouldn't be a huge deal, assuming they cool-off and don't hit them at like an 80% clip the entire game.
I don't fully understand the tactics in a drop coverage, but re-watching the condensed game it appeared:

- Davis had wide open floaters and layups.

- We made Cadeau, the Swedish guy, look like Jalen Brunson. Hell, we never stopped the ball. We just let him go all the way to the rim.

- We completely shut down former, back in 2016, ACC-POY, A. Bacot.

That explanation would work with the exception that he played AFTER the game was out of control! So, when the game is not on the line, there's less chance for injury? It doesn't add up.

I am so happy you die hards can not only watch this game, but rewatch it. I pulled the plug halfway thru the second half. Going 0 for 9 from 3 was too much.
I have decided the Joel magic just does not travel.

I am so happy you die hards can not only watch this game, but rewatch it. I pulled the plug halfway thru the second half. Going 0 for 9 from 3 was too much.
Clearly we need a more magical on-campus arena.

It's too big, hard to stuff that atmosphere in a suitcase.

If that is true then it is really concerning 'cause that is stupid. Why would we wait too long to put him in, allow the game to get out of reach and THEN put him in and let him play more minutes than we planned?

Back