• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 2: @ UGA - 7pm Friday - SEC Network

Bandaogo's only real claim for transferring to UC is that Mark Madsen left Utah Valley after last season. He transferred from Akron after two despite despite John Groce being the coach there the whole time. And Bandaogo got all the PT he wanted at Utah Valley.
Seems to me that anyone seeking a waiver for circumstances relating to their first transfer, and not the transfer at issue, has a serious up hill battle.

Yes.

For years, the rule was all transfers had to sit out a year after transferring.

Then, the rule was amended to allow college graduates with eligibility could transfer without sitting out a year.

Most recently, the rule was changed to allow one transfer for a non-college grad without sitting for year.

Then, during COVID, the NCAA just let everyone transfer as much as they wanted because everyone could claim some hardship. At that point, schools wanted some parameters around the transfer situation; so, the NCAA was directed to enforce the one free transfer rule for non-college grads.

During the entire time, in special circumstances, the NCAA could waive the sit out rule. This waiver process was supposed to be rarely used, except in circumstances such as a player's parent is under-going cancer treatments, and the player transferred to be closer to home to assist the family. Lately, mental health has been a point of emphasis so there have been exceptions when the transfer was to support mental health treatment. Also, if one of the schools in player's past lost a coach or was penalized by the NCAA, those issues were thrown in to justify the transfer.

With that background, you can guess what happens.

A bunch of athletes that can really help a school win more games, but has already transferred once, now need a waiver to play. So, schools hire lawyers to craft scenarios where the waiver is justified because of a family situation or mental health or some other supposedly unique circumstance that rarely applied, but now suddenly applies to dozens of transfers a year. It's mostly BS. Cincy wants Bandaogo eligible because he can block a lot of shots. WF wants Reid eligible because WF has a need in the front court.
This is a really good explanation. And Bandaogo fits this ultimate scenario perfectly with his oh-so-transparent messaging when he entered the portal:

Utah Valley's Aziz Bandaogo told ESPN he will enter the NCAA transfer portal later Friday, immediately becoming one of the best available big men on the transfer market.

"The reason I am entering the portal is just not for my basketball career but more importantly for my mental health," Bandaogo said. "I have been going through a very hard period for months where my day-to-day life has severely been affected. I'm grateful for the chance and I hope all my supporters will acknowledge the importance of this decision."

What’s wild is that Reid could very well still be at LSU if not for the actions of the NCAA.

Put it this way: Did the NCAA know of Wade’s issues before Reid committed? If so, they should a have made it public. If not, then how could they reasonably expect Reid to have known? So let’s say they found out at the same time. The NCAA is going to sanction his coach and then force him to stay there and play for a new coach that may have an entirely different philosophy? What kind of hell is that?

I know if one day I committed to play for Skip or Dino’s fun and gun offense and the next day Redacted showed up with his sock laws I’d be out of there.

Last edited:
I have observed as many here are pessimistic on Reid's chances of playing this season. IMO, Coach Forbes would not have signed him if he had felt there was little possibility of him playing this season. I like many hope that Efton will be able to play even if it is approved on appeal.

I have observed as many here are pessimistic on Reid's chances of playing this season. IMO, Coach Forbes would not have signed him if he had felt there was little possibility of him playing this season. I like many hope that Efton will be able to play even if it is approved on appeal.
He still would’ve signed him. He’ll be eligible next year no matter what.

Comparing White to what Wake Forest has done is an apples to oranges comparison. He was at Florida, and was hired directly following Billy Donovan, which was as white-hot as a program could have been. He was 40 or under. Everything was in line for your "this was a shoo-in" theory, and it didn't work. You can actually engage on an intelligent level here and explain why it didn't work. Or you can continue to play around in the gutter repeating your cliches.

I think White is a good coach. But it goes to show that there are lot of factors that go into making a college basketball hire a home run.

Also, should we wager on who gets to the tourney this year? Wes Miller or Forbes?
What are the odds that neither do? That’s the bet I’d make.

wakebasketball-wakeforest.gif

Any sign of Reid? I’ve really worked myself up for this highly unlikely dramatic entrance.

Boopie will be the key tonight, and I think most all season. We will go as far as he leads us at the point. Sallis and Cam will always get theirs, but Boopie will be the x factor

Back