• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 22: NC State Wolfpack @ LJVM: Saturday 1 pm: ACCN

Pilchard

Reaction score
This Saturday, the Deacs look to end their current two game slide in a hope tilt against the Pack. Here is the skinny on the Kevin Keatts resurgent squad:

2022-23 NC State 16-5 (6-4) KP#46: Coming off a dire 2022 season (11-21 - DFL finish in the ACC - two losses to WF by a combined 43 points), the Pack needed a major turn-around or KK would be looking for work in March 2023. To his credit, over the offseason, KK scored in the portal, convinced Terquavion Smith to take his name out of the 2022 NBA draft and re-emphasized defense (2022 Pack - #246 in defense; 2023 Pack - #62 in defense). With these changes, NC State is now looking to secure its first NCAA bid in four seasons. While the Pack is currently in line for an NCAAT bid, they played a very soft OOC schedule (#310); so, the Pack need to accumulate more quality wins, and winning at WF would be NC State's best or 2nd or best road win of the season (on January 7, NC State beat a limited VT team in Blacksburg by 4). Also, a NC State win at WF would distance the Pack from WF, another team vying for a NCAAT bid. This isn't just a rivalry game; this is a big game for both teams.

Head to Head Analytics (ACC ranks):

Offense

Efficiency: NCS 105.7 (#9) - WF 112.4 (#1)
TO Rate: NCS 11.6 (#1) - WF 14.5 (#3)
3 PT FG% : NCS 30% (#15) - WF 38.8% (#3)
2 PT FG%: NCS 48.6% - WF 52,4% (#4)
Effective FG%: 47.3% (#13) - WF 55.2% (#1)

Defense:

Efficiency: NCS 103.3 (#6) - WF 108.4 (#11)
TO Rate: NCS 18 (#5) - WF 18.5 (#3)
3 PT FG%: NCS 29.9% (#2) - WF 36.8% (#12)
2 PT FG%: NCS 52.2% (#11) - WF 53.6% (#12)
Effective FG: NCS 49.9 (#7) - WF 54.4 (#13)

Team (National Ranks):
Bench Minutes: NCS 27.2% #273 - WF 25.9% #297
Experience: NCS 2.62 years #50 - WF 2.52 years #61
Height: NCS 77"#188 - WF 78" #53
Tempo: 70.1 possessions #51 - WF 69.3 possessions #78

Roster:

In Tuesday's 85-82 win over ND, the Pack started:

Starting C Dusan Mahoric and F Jack Clark are currently out with injuries; Clark could return at any time

6-1 Jarkel Joiner: Cal-Bakersfield/Ole Miss transfer, 5th year senior; doesn't commit TOs; has made a huge difference for the Pack; 17 points, 4.6 boards, 3.5 assists per game; 83% from the line; 33% from 3 (26% in ACC games); 28 points against ND; 116 O rating
6-3 Casey Morsell: UVA transfer; completely transformed his game; shot 18% from 3 as a frosh at UVA; 44% this year; 13 points 4.6 boards a game; also doesn't commit TOs; 85% from the line; 131 O rating
6-4 Terquavion Smith: polarizing player; volume shooter; 5 for 21 from the field in loss to Clemson; averages 9 three point attempts a game - 33%; 31% in ACC games; leads team in assists and turnovers
6-8 Gregg Gantt: Providence transfer; doesn't score; doesn't shoot threes; didn't play much until January; averages less than three points per start
6-9 DJ Burns: Winthrop transfer; fatty; doesn't move well; can be beat down the court by bigs willing to run; doesn't shoot threes; 55% from 2; 10 points and 5 boards a game

Bench:
6-9 Ernest Ross: non-factor until last 4 games; 9 ppg and 4 rpg over the last 4; 17 points and 9 board in the win over Miami
6-10 Ebenezer Dowuona: minutes have increased after Pack's front court injuries; 7 points and 3 blocks in win over ND; can't shoot threes
6-2 LJ Thomas: frosh; averaging 8 minutes a game; 8 for 16 from 3; scoreless in the last two games

Projection: Both KP and Torvik project a 79-78 WF win in 71 possessions.

This is a good news/bad news analysis.

THE GOOD:
After getting strafed from three in the last two, WF faces a Pack team that is last in the ACC in three point %.
Also, WF has been victimized by bigs hitting threes this year, and NC State doesn't have a three-point threat big.
In addition to the lack of three point big, the Pack is thin up front with the Clark and Mahoric injuries; so, NC State doesn't have the personnel to exploit WF's front court limitations
The Pack are banged up as they are down two starters and Smith is coming off miraculous comeback :rolleyes: from his fall at Chapel Hill.

THE BAD:
Both Smith and Joyner have been shooting worse than historical trends suggest. So, got to think a game is coming when the Pack fills it up from deep, and WF seems like the perfect candidate for that to happen.
Also, WF's one strength on D is forcing TOs, but the Pack doesn't turn the ball over.
Joyner and Smith are adept at taking the ball to the basket and WF lacks a shot blocker to keep the Pack guards out of the paint.

WF is on an OVER the total heater. Each of WF last 10 games have flown over the posted total by an average of over 10 ppg. Also, NC State has started ramping up the pace as each of the last three Pack games have hit the 71 possession mark, and all of those opponents play at a slower tempo than WF. Further over the last two years, WF has scored big at home (WF scored 101 against NC State last season). Thinking that this game is going to be a wild up and down game with a ton of big runs. The total will open around 157, but will be bet up from there (wouldn't be shocked to see the total cross 160 by tip-off).

After the UVA and Pitt losses, WF has to find a way to win this game. While State is a veteran team with elite guards (and perhaps, I'm trying to avoid the notion of a third straight loss knocking WF off the bubble), think WF wins at home in a high-scoring contest.

Last edited:
Feels like a game where Bradford may get some minutes to try to body up Burns a bit.

Morsell hits 10 3s.

Smith scores 30+ on a 9-40 shooting night.

4 players for Wake score 20+ (Appleby, Monsanto, Hildreth, & Carr). Nobody else gets to double digits.

Wake wins 110-109.

Need to win this one for a whole host of reasons: maintaining our slim odds for a tournament bid, preventing State from getting a quality road win and my emotional well-being. Seems like we match up well from a size perspective. I think Damari can match up with Smith but I hope he doesn’t turn this into a one-on-one shooting extravaganza because we know Smith will take a million shots.

State is a little different/better team this year. They actually share the ball occasionally , and they are not always imploding when they get behind. I don’t know if its Smith , an asst coach , or someone else but there appears to be some leadership on this team that rallies the troops — I doubt it is Keatts based on past history.

Even being down over the past 2 games, it will be hard not to bet on Wake if Vegas puts out a number close to Even. A team like NC St has no business winning at Wake.

Why would you do this to us
All the computers say it is a coin toss game. I feel differently, but reality is if they play the game twice it should be 1-1.

I’ve watched State play many times this season and they can get hot from three. Wouldn’t mind seeing us put a press in early and really challenge them to settle for late shot clock attempts for the first 8-10 minutes. If Smith plays, I feel confident that Ty can handle him on the ball but off the ball, he is lightning fast and we will need help guarding the perimeter. Deacs should roll if we penetrate the lane and work the ball down low. They have no answer for Carr, Cam, Marsh or Monsanto.

Last edited:
Curious to see how the team responds coming off two tough losses against eminently beatable teams, and with their NCAA chances all but dead (I know it could happen in theory but it won't). Hoping for a bounce-back win Saturday and a strong finish. Worried that the team could phone it in and play themselves out of the NIT, which would be awful for recruiting.

Back