• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 26: Miami Hurricanes @ LJVM - Saturday 3 pm - Bally

Defense was not the issue the whole game but certainly at the end. They scored on 8 of their last possessions.

The game today was a poor effort-from players, coaches, and officials. We were just flat in the 2nd half. I had a bad feeling at halftime, when there was no halftime show or entertainment. It seemed to drain the rest of the already leaking energy right out of the building.

That being said, it is good to be this disappointed and pissed off over losing a basketball game in the middle of February. It has been a long time since I have cared enough to be angry about losing.

This. It’s good to care again.

Miami’s season average Pts/Poss = 1.11
We held them to: 1.13

Wakes season average Pts/Poss = 1.10
We scored: 1.04

So the problem was more our offense and turnovers than our defense, because based on their number of possessions they only scored 1.3 more points than they normally would, where our offense scored 4 less points than we normally would.

The many "pick 2" turnovers - those live ball turnovers that give the opponents easy scores - were a big contributors to the loss. Cut the points off turnovers by 1/4, from 19 to 14 and Wake isn't scrambling for points at the end. Williamson is protecting a lead at the free throw line.

Deaconblue is spot on! I tell my guys that not all mistakes (errors or turnovers) are equal. Turnovers that lead to uncontested layups are daggers in many ways- not just the two points, but momentum and confidence. For example, Sy gets a rebound and throws it out of bounds w/no pressure. Miami shoots, rebounds, and gets a wide-open 3.

Turnovers in the open court were our ultimate demise. I'm merely suggesting that if we switched D's to give Miami some new looks and slow them down a bit we might have eeked out a win.

Miami knew Williams likes to make the “impossible” skip pass to the guy in the corner and they took that away a few times and scored on it.

We were going to lose because of our turnovers at some point. In one respect, it is nice to have a few extra wins in the bank despite that glaring flaw. I assume Forbes has been doing something about this, hopefully now the sense of urgency among the players is there.

Twice we had situations where someone did not know who they were guarding and led to an easy score and also to one of Jake’s fouls. Was hard to tell who missed their assignments but certainly those two plays made a difference in the game.

LaRavia had the wrong guy on the play that ended with his fourth foul - McKai Let him know loud and clear after the play.

Either way. Let the guy dunk it. When you're that far out of position and a guy is unguarded, just let him dunk and move on. You're not stopping that play

Either way. Let the guy dunk it. When you're that far out of position and a guy is unguarded, just let him dunk and move on. You're not stopping that play

Definitely. (And bad spelling on my part - its McKie.)

That was a bad loss, no two ways about it. Despite his 25 points, ManMan did not look like a player of the year candidate last night.

This. It’s good to care again.

I agree, it's nice to be invested again. Sucks to have lost, but nice to have meaningful games and not games to determine whether we finish last or 2nd to last in the league.

It seems to me we need Alondes to play closer to the three point line where turnovers by him won’t lead to layups by the other team. That means Williamson and Carter are going to have to handle the ball which has been problematic at least for Carter.

We need Williamson to play 35 minutes, he’s the key going forward with Carter spotting him for 5.

It's much easier to use what Forbes said went wrong. And Mucius said.

Forbes after the game wrote on the white board.
- Turnovers
- Defense
- Offensive rebounds (and noted there were only 4 but the last two killed us)

He was pretty clear that the staff was telling them to move the ball below the line (beyond my tactical knowledge) and he explicitly said the guys continued to not do it. Turnovers cause by skip passes that were not open, and that we were make these passes before we ever made the defense move. Brought up continuously letting Miami trap us, giving up the dribble and not being strong with the ball.

It's true we are never going to be a low turn over team, based on style of play and the fact we have guys that can make great passes, but you can't have an extra 5 turnovers because you are sloppy or making passes that are just not there. Miss the back door alley oop pass, so be it, try and lob it across the defense on a skip pass that's not open, not acceptable.

Mucius pointed out that we took the foot of the pedal at FSU and State but we were able to go on a 9-0 and 16-0 run to close those games out. It's good that a team leader has pinpointed this as an issue. We crushed UNC by playing a complete game, other than BC (two days later) we haven't played one since.

We are basically 2 games above 8th, although I think tiebreakers would make 7th the floor, barring a total meltdown. As Forbes said we have won nothing, we don't have an NCAAT bid or a ACCT seed.

Couple of thoughts after returning home:

1. LaRavia being mostly a no show today just killed us. Waardenburg is every bit as useless a defender as Manek is, and that matchup was tailor made for Jake to dominate. Didn’t happen.

2. The frustration about Whitt stems from the fact that the missing piece for this team is clearly the big gaping hole we have at point guard. We are turning it over a million times a game while we have a 4* PG sitting on the bench who Forbes simply cannot play, and it isn’t like Miami is some great defensive team. I want Carter to contribute, but he looks more and more like a guy who needs to be in the A10 if he wants to play.

3. I can’t ever recall seeing a player put more stress on his knees coming to quick stops than Wong. When one of his ACLs finally goes, it is going to explode.

4. Miami beat Duke in Cameron, and in their next game Duke beat us in the Joel. Miami beats us today, and our next game is in Durham. Let’s return the favor to those assholes on Tuesday.

Have to partly disagree about the pt. guard situation. Williamson is doing fine, most of the to's are from Williams. I do agree with you about not having a capable back up.

The good coaches have taught their guys to play Manman for that cross court pass.

Have to partly disagree about the pt. guard situation. Williamson is doing fine, most of the to's are from Williams. I do agree with you about not having a capable back up.

Williamson isn’t the PG. He’s not the primary ball handler or primary assist man. He’s a SG who is a secondary ball handler who’s strengths are catch and shoot and driving to the basket.

The loss should rid the team of three misconceptions.

Wake has been lucky to win several games when turnovers were a problem. Turnovers lead to losses.

Wake has won several games with shut down defense late in the game. I like this quality but it is playing with fire. Wake got burned by Miami. This team needs to play well for forty minutes.

Alondes is not Mr. Wizard. When a player is trapped, his teammates need to go to the ball and provide help. This is a grammar school fundamental. It didn't happen yesterday, which was alarming.

Williamson isn’t the PG. He’s not the primary ball handler or primary assist man. He’s a SG who is a secondary ball handler who’s strengths are catch and shoot and driving to the basket.

Agree. WF doesn't really use a PG, except for when Whitt plays his limited minutes as several different players get tasked with initiating the offense. Alondes handles more than anyone else because WF lacks other alternatives, and Williams can be spectacular at finding a open man; he can also be too loose with his passes. LaRavia also handles, which is usually effective, but Miami attacked Jake with an immediate trap, and he did not handle it well (to be fair, the team didn't handle it well). Williamson does as well, but it's not his forte

ACC teams scout. They know WF struggles with pressure and traps because WF lacks a true point. Deacs will see this every game the rest of the way. WF will need to beat it, or there will be too many more games like this past Saturday.

Back