• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 26: Miami Hurricanes @ LJVM - Saturday 3 pm - Bally

Williamson is the closest thing we have to a point guard and he’s our most reliable ball handler. So, he should be playing that role. It would cut down on turnovers.

I know he is a competitor and is trying to win the game for us - and I know he scores a lot of the time - but, I don't like the fact that when a game is tight toward the end Williams stops moving the ball around and tries to take over himself. Against Miami LaRavia had fouled out so I get it - there aren't that many options. But, I think our offense is best when we move the ball around.

Williamson is the closest thing we have to a point guard and he’s our most reliable ball handler. So, he should be playing that role. It would cut down on turnovers.

I’d say the guy who leads the league in assists is the closest thing to a PG.

Yep. Williamson is 7th out of our top 9 in minutes in assist rate 6.5%. Only ahead of Mucius and Sy. Behind everyone else including Walton, Monsanto. He’s not a guy who makes plays for others even if he’s a capable ball handler.

Yep. Williamson is 7th out of our top 9 in minutes in assist rate 6.5%. Only ahead of Mucius and Sy. Behind everyone else including Walton, Monsanto. He’s not a guy who makes plays for others even if he’s a capable ball handler.

Williamson needs to be handling the ball through the pressure and traps. Then others can take over the play initiation. Manman gets a lot of assists passing out of double teams. He didn't pass soon enough against Miami. He needs to see the trap coming and pass once the defender commits to the trap but before the trap is tight.

I’d say the guy who leads the league in assists is the closest thing to a PG.

Williams is a better passer and so is Jake, at least in the half court. But Williamson is the best ball handler. I love Williams and all he does, but there’s no question that Williamson is the better ball handler.

Now, my memory is crap, but as for Jake, his 4th and 5th were IMO, blown assignments. Sy didn't cover the lane (WTH??) and their big just drove down the wide-open middle and Jake tried to make the block. On the 5th, it was another blow by that rimmed out but Jake fouled on the follow shot. One of his other fouls was a touch foul that should never have been called...

Again, I love that we are so active with our hands and getting rebounds, but teams are just running downhill on us on the dribble drive. Even State was blowing by the team. Seabron was attacking at will and we were lucky that Smith and Hellems had off nights and fouled out. We have to do something to give other teams a new look. Go to a zone, sag the bigs, give more help, etc.

Totally agree.

The game of basketball comes down to match ups, we do not match up well with Miami, Cuse and Duke. I think we re going to get basted Tuesday night and the game against ND will then be very critical for our chances to get to the dance this year.

Either way. Let the guy dunk it. When you're that far out of position and a guy is unguarded, just let him dunk and move on. You're not stopping that play

I really like LaRavia but he had at least three fouls that were just stupid. Busted defense, already out of position, stupid to give up fouls there. That "and one" was especially frustrating. Just let him dunk or at least put him on the ground. Also the one where he hip checked a guy already up at the rim was dumb. Of all the frustrating things in that game and lack of discipline that was when I realized it was getting away from us.

I know he is a competitor and is trying to win the game for us - and I know he scores a lot of the time - but, I don't like the fact that when a game is tight toward the end Williams stops moving the ball around and tries to take over himself. Against Miami LaRavia had fouled out so I get it - there aren't that many options. But, I think our offense is best when we move the ball around.

So the guy who leads the ACC in assists doesn't move the ball around enough and that's the problem. Seems legit.

Did you watch the Miami game? The ball definitely stuck in the 2nd half and it turned into the ManMan show down the stretch.

LaRavia's foul issues and the inability to get stops on the defensive end were the likely causes of this - But it's delusional to argue it didn't happen.

The game of basketball comes down to match ups, we do not match up well with Miami, Cuse and Duke. I think we re going to get basted Tuesday night and the game against ND will then be very critical for our chances to get to the dance this year.

Welp, if we take care of the ball we can match up with anyone.

Sucks to lose the potential tie breaker with the canes. :(

Agree with the matchups but anyone who thought this team with its flaws would enter the ACC tourney with 13+ conference wins wasn't being realistic even in a "down year" for the ACC.

It is very realistic to think we will beat Louisville and State at home and also win one of @Duke, vs. ND, and @Clemson to enter the ACCT with 13 conference wins.

Louisville has won 1 of its last 10

NC State has won 2 of its last 11 (including a win over Louisville)

so yeah, WF should win those games, and if we lose our next 3 I will be disappointed

If there was an over/under on WF's last 5 games, it would be 3.5. I would like the over, even if loses at Duke. Notre Dame's record is so deceiving. They keep playing teams when key players are out, or when their opponent is an adverse situational spot. The ND game at Clemson couldn't be a better spot. Two Clemson starters out, Clemson's best player, PJ Hall is hobbled by a foot injury, and they just played UNC and Duke earlier that week in full team effort spots. So, now on Saturday, ND shuffles in to Littlejohn in front of friends and family and sprints out to 28-11 lead in the first 10 minutes. Will be all over WF on Saturday against ND if the line is close to the current projection of WF minus 5.

It is very realistic to think we will beat Louisville and State at home and also win one of @Duke, vs. ND, and @Clemson to enter the ACCT with 13 conference wins.

Apologies my above post was not more clear. I agree that 13 conference wins is a realistic expectation.

Over 13 conference wins prior to the tourney is a stretch, IMO.

Just don't see this team winning 4 straight after the Duke game until turnovers and defensive rebounding are cleaned up.

Man, the Miami game has really messed with the perception of the Deacs. Heading into the Miami game, WF had won 7 of 8 conference games. Winning 4 straight after Duke is not a lock, but certainly doable. Beating Duke is also doable.

Man, the Miami game has really messed with the perception of the Deacs. Heading into the Miami game, WF had won 7 of 8 conference games. Winning 4 straight after Duke is not a lock, but certainly doable. Beating Duke is also doable.

I suppose that’s always the case after a disappointing loss. On the flip side I think our perception was inflated by winning those games while ignoring some pretty glaring problems. We won in spite of our problems and that always catches up with you.

I suppose that’s always the case after a disappointing loss. On the flip side I think our perception was inflated by winning those games while ignoring some pretty glaring problems. We won in spite of our problems and that always catches up with you.

This. Seems we haven't played all that great since the UNC game. We've just had the privilege of playing BC, FSU, Pitt, and State.

Back