• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 27: Duke @ LJVM - Saturday 2 pm - ESPN

We had some loud Duke fans up in 226. One very obnoxious dude who kept looking around waiting for someone to make eye contact with him after he yelled something.

When Reid took the jumper from the foul line the dude yelled “he can’t shoot!” When it went in I turned around, made sure we were making eye contact, and gave him a thumbs up.

I wondered why you gave me the thumbs up! But yes it was nice for someone finally to acknowledge my clever rantings.

I'm in the camp that stormings need to be banned at this point. But if you're gonna have them, at least reserve them for games where you're a yuge underdog against 1 of the top few teams in the country, not a game where you're a favorite. I get it was a big game against a good and hated opponent, but the storming and lack of security are a big black eye for Wake and the ACC this morning.
I’m sure the students will feel the same way in their remaining days at Wake fans. Certainly remember it sadly.

You can’t logistically stop it. If thousands of people want to go around a few dozen, they are gonna.

Ha yeah I paused the game and showed my son how Cam’s defense on what was a really good backdoor cut and pass was just perfect technique.
Did you son say “Dad, what the hell are you doing? I’m trying to watch this amazing finish. You can teach me later.” ?

Is there any chance that the #narrative around this impacts our chances? The committee are humans after all, not just a bunch of computers !

Has the potential to help us. They want teams that matter. In the social media/sports board era, they want the teams that are being talked about.

As I said on another thread, we already have a compelling comeback story to tell. Now you add this, and we’ve basically said “we will not be ignored!”

Insert Fatal Attraction/Sig Ep joke here

Students stormed the court for the same reason it was the biggest crowd of the Steve Forbes era and our first sellout in years. We haven’t had a game against a hated opponent with the stakes this high this late in the season in a long long time. And the current students have not had an opportunity for a big court storming win during their whole school career.
Not to mention Lunardi and others saying we weren’t a tourney team, while ironically being favored to beat the #8 team in the nation. It all combined for a rabid environment.

Duke’s next game is home v Louisville. I bet Flip sits out. They’ve made such a big deal of it, Duke can beat the Cards without him, and they will try to save face and maintain the narrative that he is/was the victim.

The following game is against UVA. If he doesn’t play then, maybe he has an injury.

Seems most likely he banged knees trying to trip a guy and is fine.

All that said, clear that security lost control and let fans on court before clock actually expired. That can’t happen for many reasons - primarily because it is much less safe for fans and players. Flip is humongous and extremely coordinated by normal human standards, as are most of the players. They can do damage easily.

Fans on court post game to celebrate is fine. “Storming” the court needs to be controlled and mostly stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the camp that stormings need to be banned at this point. But if you're gonna have them, at least reserve them for games where you're a yuge underdog against 1 of the top few teams in the country, not a game where you're a favorite. I get it was a big game against a good and hated opponent, but the storming and lack of security are a big black eye for Wake and the ACC this morning.
Before all the focus on NET, this would have been seen as an unranked team beating a top ten team. Seems like a justified storm, even without considering the recent past for Wake

It actually opened up the court for other players to have open lanes and shots and that's what enabled us to take the lead. Boopie, Carr, and Cam really shined in the last six minutes.
Definitely truth to that. My point would certainly be stronger if we didn’t have all of those other weapons. But, we are a great free throw shooting team, getting them in foul trouble helps and those other weapons aren’t quite Sallis.

They really should leave these theatrics to professional wrestlers. They are FAR better at this.
I don’t think it was theatrics. I think he likely got a knee to knee. Normally you’d go down until the numbness/tingling stopped. He couldn’t go down so was helped off. Seems reasonable to me.

The aftermath was not

I don’t think it was theatrics. I think he likely got a knee to knee. Normally you’d go down until the numbness/tingling stopped. He couldn’t go down so was helped off. Seems reasonable to me.

The aftermath was not
In the post game they said it was his ankle. Likely of his tripping leg.

Definitely truth to that. My point would certainly be stronger if we didn’t have all of those other weapons. But, we are a great free throw shooting team, getting them in foul trouble helps and those other weapons aren’t quite Sallis.
They might not be Sallis, but they are really good, particularly when wide open. Sallis first half really increased his gravitational pull on the defense a created a lot of those open looks.

Sallis 5* rating is starting to shine brightly. I suspect he was somewhat deferential to Cam and perhaps Carr because they had seniority with respect to time at Wake. Also Cam had the early season 33 point game and owns a triple double.

After playing a bunch of games, and now with Cam injured, Sallis probably feels a lot more comfortable asserting himself. He also has gotten some doses of whatever elixir Forbes cooks up to unlock the potential of these lightly used guys who transfer to Wake.

If I'm a former top recruit who is currently getting more time as a volunteer assistant coach than court time playing, I'm staring down Forbes to see if he glances my way.

Has the potential to help us. They want teams that matter. In the social media/sports board era, they want the teams that are being talked about.

As I said on another thread, we already have a compelling comeback story to tell. Now you add this, and we’ve basically said “we will not be ignored!”

Insert Fatal Attraction/Sig Ep joke here
Any publicity is good publicity right?

Back