• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 27: Miami Hurricanes in Coral Gables - The Watsco Center - Saturday - 2pm - Ballys

I simply don’t think we have the firepower yet because we truly don’t have the classes to do that. This is Forbes 1st real class and the the 2nd looks very positive. No way is he on hot seat. Pretty sure Currie gives him a very long rope. Hell they haven’t done anything and I feel it’s ahead of schedule of where we were ( in depths or hell).

Bottom line we don’t make tourney this year ( could see us making some real noise at ACC tourney), but we are on right track.

Happy to eat my words next year or year after, but hard to see how we'll be any better/ different in 23/24 and 24/25 from how we've been the last two years.

Maybe a few more lucky balls roll our way, that would be the difference in 3 or 4 more wins this year for sure. But this might be the level of expectation going forward. It's a hell of a lot better than the last decade for sure, to actually care and be competitive against anybody. But it's not over the hump I think we all want to be over.

Small note: Marsh went 5-5 from the field to get to 69/76 (.908). He needs to play 40% of minutes for the season to take the national FG% lead. He needs to play 75 minutes in the last four games.

I like Forbes, and agree he’s nowhere near the hot seat, but if Tony Bennett was in-game coaching this squad, we’d have won today and at least 4 more other games this year. Just saying.

And yes, I get that I’m cherry-picking the best coach in the league.

Tony Bennett went 9-7 in the ACC his 3rd year, losing 4 of his last 5 with his only win coming against a horrid Maryland team - and it took overtime to even get that one. He lost every game he played against a ranked team once the ACC season started (0-6).

That team had Joe Harris, Malcom Brogdon, and Mike Scott on it. All NBA players. Then of course he added Justin Anderson and Mike Tobey (and lost Brodgon to injury for a year) and... barely made the NIT. After that he ran off like a decade of averaging 30 wins and landed a national championship.

Forbes is the real deal. He got screwed by Covid and NIL and we still would have been in the tourney last year at any other point in basketball history. Even great coaches struggle when they don't have the right guys in their system, and even when they do it can take a year or two to develop them. And even then it can really help to land a miracle player like Brogdon who stays for his entire eligibility despite being an NBA-level guy. Look at what Wong did to us tonight and then picture him getting a lot better and coming back for another year...

Tony Bennett went 9-7 in the ACC his 3rd year, losing 4 of his last 5 with his only win coming against a horrid Maryland team - and it took overtime to even get that one. He lost every game he played against a ranked team once the ACC season started (0-6).

That team had Joe Harris, Malcom Brogdon, and Mike Scott on it. All NBA players. Then of course he added Justin Anderson and Mike Tobey (and lost Brodgon to injury for a year) and... barely made the NIT. After that he ran off like a decade of averaging 30 wins and landed a national championship.

Forbes is the real deal. He got screwed by Covid and NIL and we still would have been in the tourney last year at any other point in basketball history. Even great coaches struggle when they don't have the right guys in their system, and even when they do it can take a year or two to develop them. And even then it can really help to land a miracle player like Brogdon who stays for his entire eligibility despite being an NBA-level guy. Look at what Wong did to us tonight and then picture him getting a lot better and coming back for another year...
The biggest thing though about Tony Bennett is that he built his team with core defensive principles of which we have none of. Just in seeing what Wong and many others did to us today we could not find them on the defensive end. We tend to let many people get career days against us

In terms of our trajectory, it is important to remember that this time last year we were all counting on LaRavia being back for another season. Things would look a lot different if he had returned. Instead of filling out the roster with complimentary pieces in the portal, Forbes had to essentially rebuild the roster again. Fortunately he’s good at that, but this isn’t the team we all thought we were going to have. Things are heading in the right direction.

He’s basically had 1, then 2 (Williamson and Mucius) and now 4 (Williamson, Monsanro, Hildreth, Marsh) returning players in his rotation each year.

Getting a baseline of 4-6 in a normal year and then filling in with a) non rotation players that make the leap (Hildreth and Marsh this year — maybe Ituka/Keller?) and b) transfers sets us on a better and more sustainable path.

We are going to need the horses though. For 2024: Hildreth, Carr, Klintman, Marsh and Monsanto (?) as the starting point is decent. To make the leap we will need to replace Appleby with a star.

Edited to add Marsh to returnees.

Last edited:

Tony Bennett went to the NCAA tournament in his third year with the #33 rated team in KP. 2012 was different from 2023 for a variety of reasons, but those seem like important facts to mention. Tony Bennett is the best coach in the ACC and has had that distinction for a while.

Forbes is a very good coach. Tony Bennett is better. It’s unfair to compare Forbes to Bennett, but those statements are true.

He’s basically had 1, then 2 (Williamson and Mucius) and now 4 (Williamson, Monsanro, Hildreth, Marsh) returning players in his rotation each year.

Getting a baseline of 4-6 in a normal year and then filling in with a) non rotation players that make the leap (Hildreth and Marsh this year — maybe Ituka/Keller?) and b) transfers sets us on a better and more sustainable path.

We are going to need the horses though. For 2024: Hildreth, Carr, Klintman, and Monsanto (?) as the starting point is decent. To make the leap we will need to replace Appleby with a star.
And Marsh. He has improved drastically since last year. I expect continued improvement.

Last edited:
Too many turnovers that led to points at the wrong end. 19 turnovers lead to a 34-12 Miami advantage on points off turnovers. Also had a large role in a 20-5 Cane advantage in fast break points. Isiah Wong decided the game in the first half with a personal 13-0 run that gave Miami a 10 point lead. Miami never trailed after that and spent the second half in control of the game. Every time the Deacs made a run the Canes would respond.

Deacs shot the ball well but defense was missing. The bright spot for the Deacs was the play of Williamson and Klintman off the bench. Hildreth and Marsh were solid.

Appleby and Monsanto had their difficulties. Carr spent most of the game MIA. I'm beginning to think Andrew plays better at the four than the five. He has become more tentative and passive offensively with the increase of minutes at the five. I'd like to see the numbers at both positions if available.

Too many turnovers that led to points at the wrong end. 19 turnovers lead to a 34-12 Miami advantage on points off turnovers. Also had a large role in a 20-5 Cane advantage in fast break points. Isiah Wong decided the game in the first half with a personal 13-0 run that gave Miami a 10 point lead. Miami never trailed after that and spent the second half in control of the game. Every time the Deacs made a run the Canes would respond.

Deacs shot the ball well but defense was missing. The bright spot for the Deacs was the play of Williamson and Klintman off the bench. Hildreth and Marsh were solid.

Appleby and Monsanto had their difficulties. Carr spent most of the game MIA. I'm beginning to think Andrew plays better at the four than the five. He has become more tentative and passive offensively with the increase of minutes at the five. I'd like to see the numbers at both positions if available.
A lot of his tentativeness is because he's playing through a thumb/wrist injury on his shooting hand.

Marsh was -20. Or put differently, we were -20 with him in despite his 5-5 and 5 boards. That’s why Carr has been playing a lot more minutes at the 5.

I was "flipping the dial" today and saw that Indiana is 9-6 in conference and ranked #14 in the country.

Someone care to explain this?

i don’t know anything about indiana, but i do know we were a pretty highly ranked team with relatively mediocre conference records many years from 1990-2010.

example: we were 9-7 in conference in 2004 when we lost in the s16 to st joes as the 4 seed.

Back in the day a .500 ACC record would always get you in because the conference was so strong. Realistically the ACC probably has at best 6 teams deserving of a bid. When is the last time the ACC didn’t have a 1 or 2 seed? With Forbes having to create a team every year last year and this year could become the norm and our ability to make the dance depends on wining the two or three games that we’ve lost this year and last.

These past two years we’ve had the talent to make the dance, we just can‘t close out the 3 or 4 games needed to make it.

I was "flipping the dial" today and saw that Indiana is 9-6 in conference and ranked #14 in the country.

Someone care to explain this?
I noticed that too and had no idea Indiana was good this year. Seems like they have sucked for awhile.

Tony Bennett went to the NCAA tournament in his third year with the #33 rated team in KP. 2012 was different from 2023 for a variety of reasons, but those seem like important facts to mention. Tony Bennett is the best coach in the ACC and has had that distinction for a while.

Forbes is a very good coach. Tony Bennett is better. It’s unfair to compare Forbes to Bennett, but those statements are true.
Forbes had Wake as the #35 rated team in KP in his second year.

Back