• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB: Game 3 - Charleston Southern Bucs - Wednesday 7 pm - ACCN+/ESPN+

ronnie + [Redacted] + manning + game thread = wf campus discussion

I literally hate everything about this talk of expansion. Why are we fundamentally changing who Wake is after 180 years? Why an engineering school at all? That is the exact opposite of who we are as a school. Why was Wake considered one of the most beautiful campuses in the country - the beautiful architecture (absent Scales), the greenspace, and the trees. So let's get rid of more and more of the space and the trees. What was unique about Wake? It's small size - which leads to small classes, everyone knowing everyone else, familiarity with professors, deans, etc. - so let's get rid of that too... Sorry - old guy venting alert...

All fair points but it's a trade off, and it's already changed a lot more than you think. About 15% of undergrads are not from the US. There are far more students from the Northeast than NC. Additionally, the small size is holding Wake back in terms of remaining relevant nationally particularly in relation to athletics. Supposedly the goal is to match the undergrad population of Duke, and if that allows Wake to admit more local students and grow its base of local support, I'm for it.

All fair points but it's a trade off, and it's already changed a lot more than you think. About 15% of undergrads are not from the US. There are far more students from the Northeast than NC. Additionally, the small size is holding Wake back in terms of remaining relevant nationally particularly in relation to athletics. Supposedly the goal is to match the undergrad population of Duke, and if that allows Wake to admit more local students and grow its base of local support, I'm for it.

Matching Duke (or ND, Vandy, etc.) is an unfortunate goal. We have different strengths, and need to focus on those.

I looked back at 1998 (it was easy to find online, plus everyone knows 90s Deacs are the greatest) - in 1998, there were 3855 undergrads, 1157 from NC (30%). In 2020 there were 5441 undergrads, 900 from NC (16%). Enrollment has gone up, but total numbers from NC have gone down. So if someone tries to argue that we need to increase enrollment to increase the number from NC, they're wrong.

WF changes or it falls behind. WF used to be all men and all white. WF used to prohibit dancing. WTF? Have no idea if these changes will lead to long term benefits, but if WF chose the right people to lead, you've got to trust that they have weighed all of the factors and made sound decisions (unless you have taken the time to study and review the options and alternatives as well and can state a reasoned opinion as to why the change is misguided; opposing change because the school will be different than it was when you attended is not convincing).

Last edited:
Matching Duke (or ND, Vandy, etc.) is an unfortunate goal. We have different strengths, and need to focus on those.

I looked back at 1998 (it was easy to find online, plus everyone knows 90s Deacs are the greatest) - in 1998, there were 3855 undergrads, 1157 from NC (30%). In 2020 there were 5441 undergrads, 900 from NC (16%). Enrollment has gone up, but total numbers from NC have gone down. So if someone tries to argue that we need to increase enrollment to increase the number from NC, they're wrong.

It's not a coincidence that the great resurgence is happening as the kids of 90s Deacs are starting to attend Wake.

It's not a coincidence that the great resurgence is happening as the kids of 90s Deacs are starting to attend Wake.

Great point. You're clearly on to something here...

WF changes or it falls behind. WF used to be all men and all white. WF used to prohibit dancing. WTF? Have no idea if these changes will lead to long term benefits, but if WF chose the right people to lead, you've got to trust that they have weighed all of the factors and made sound decisions (unless you have taken the time to study and review the options and alternatives as well and can state a reasoned opinion as to why the change is misguided; opposing change because the school will be different than it was when you attended is not convincing).

Sure. Wake is going to change and make decisions that lead to change. But as we all know, not all of those decisions will be good (such as hiring [Redacted]). I think our increased enrollment, with fewer students from NC, to emulate Duke and ND has not been a good trend - we now accept a much higher percentage of students than we used to. Other decisions, such as changing focus from a regional college to a national university in the 1980s, was a very smart decision.

sorry to all the 80's deacs who saw crappy basketball and then sent their kids to wake in the 2010's! 90's Deacs just have winning running through their veins and so do their kids.

That foreign student influx is key as they generally pay full $$$$$

Maybe Hildreth and Marsh will spur interest among Brits with money

Ha -- you mean like it was originally done until changed in ?? year? But, now it would make for a congested intersection. I imagine much more traffic now than in the 1960s.

Funny - it was that way at least until the early/mid '80s...

oh noes....something is going to change on campus and fundamentally change WFU? Settle down and remember that once upon a time Wake Forest literally picked up and moved to an entirely different city. Change happens, embrace it or get left behind.

This is a thoughtless, insulting response. I am not against change generally. I made specific points about why I am against these changes. Wake has been truly unique - very small population, major sports, liberal arts focus, national university with a regional feel, very selective admissions, etc. There is already a Duke and a Notre Dame and some others - hell, even a Miami... But there has only been one Wake Forest. I don't think we should look to any of those other schools as a model - we are unique and they broke the mold.

Sure. Wake is going to change and make decisions that lead to change. But as we all know, not all of those decisions will be good (such as hiring [Redacted]). I think our increased enrollment, with fewer students from NC, to emulate Duke and ND has not been a good trend - we now accept a much higher percentage of students than we used to. Other decisions, such as changing focus from a regional college to a national university in the 1980s, was a very smart decision.

I don’t think acceptance rate has gone up at all.

I was complaining about the olds not standing and cheering back when I was a student when we were nationally ranked and the Joel was packed.

To confirm, fairly quickly: there will be a building going in on the corner of Davis near Olin/ZSR/Benson; the current plan is to use it as academic swing space for overflow departments and to allow renovations to other buildings as needed. There is also a plan to re-route Wake Forest Road directly up past Scales towards the Quad (so somewhat symmetrical to the other side of campus).

Source: This has all been disclosed at planning meetings that have been open for anyone to attend, albeit these plans were put in place pre-COVID. No need for secrecy here.

WF Road ran up past Scales until around 1990, when it was changed to stop townies from cutting through campus to get from University Parkway to Silas Creek. This was before Northpoint Blvd was built. Hate to see buildings being built on the old Kappa Sig par tree golf course(designed by Lanny Wadkins, Curtis Strange and Jay Haas) but original campus plans have 2 buildings across the street from Davis Dorm. Thankfully, not all of the par tree course will be destroyed.

I don’t think acceptance rate has gone up at all.

Yeah, you’re right. I just looked over several years from 98 to present and the rate is 30-40%, but no clear trend.

I thought Wake had switched from “most selective” to “highly selective” in the past decade, but I’m not sure how to find that without a US News account.

That foreign student influx is key as they generally pay full $$$$$

This is spot on. Having previously worked in college admissions, I can assure you that this is a great market that still allows for selectivity in terms of maintaining desired SAT scores, class rank, etc.

Pit jams must have really sucked back in the day. All dude. All white. No dancing

Wake has already changed enough to where it really doesn't have much nostalgic pull for me anymore. The quad is the same (except for the stupid arch), but outside of that it's completely different. Growth is inevitable. Growth to the extent that Wake has done is a conscious choice, for better or worse. To me, it doesn't "feel" like remotely the same campus that it was when I visited in 1989 and knew instantly that I wanted to be there. It is still smallish, but lacks the small school feel. Back then it was small, but bigger than Davidson, which was too small for me. These are totally subjective tastes, of course, but I'm hardly alone in feeling that way.

Also, way too much Jersey trash these days. On the bright side, at least for the male students, fewer uptight NC baptist chicks who don't put out.

Back