• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB: Game 3 - Charleston Southern Bucs - Wednesday 7 pm - ACCN+/ESPN+

Any word on Sy? His left knee buckled coming down. Not sure if that's a problem knee from the past.

The attendance is concerning, but I'll wait until later in the year to really worry about it.

I imagine the crowds will get better when we play against some real teams and there is evidence that we don't suck (and are entertaining to watch).

Out of all those ideas, expanding the school is supposedly the only one already in the works. Wake is adding new staff for the engineering programs that started three or four years ago and the rumor is they’ll build another dorm and some academic buildings for engineering on what is now Davis field. Obviously don’t know if that’s true or if covid has changed that but I head that from kids in student gov a couple years ago. I think adding a thousand or so students would be fine as long as we do it by adding programs and not by lowering academic standards.

That's too bad, if true. I completely agree with berneses. Successful schools, just like successful businesses, know their strengths, weaknesses, unique qualities, etc. Wake is the smallest P5 school, which is an incredibly unique selling point. Dr. Hatch expanded Wake (some would say trying to emulate Notre Dame), and it didn't improve out academic standing, gameday attendance, etc. We need to embrace and market what makes us unique. Our small size with P5 athletics is a great combo, which allows us to focus on specific areas of academic excellence and undergrad teaching.

We had full crowds at the Joel when Wake had fewer students, so attendance isn't about undergrad size at this point. Our poor bball attendance is secondary to 10 years of losing, the pandemic, and a weak out of conference set of games.

That's too bad, if true. I completely agree with berneses. Successful schools, just like successful businesses, know their strengths, weaknesses, unique qualities, etc. Wake is the smallest P5 school, which is an incredibly unique selling point. Dr. Hatch expanded Wake (some would say trying to emulate Notre Dame), and it didn't improve out academic standing, gameday attendance, etc. We need to embrace and market what makes us unique. Our small size with P5 athletics is a great combo, which allows us to focus on specific areas of academic excellence and undergrad teaching.

We had full crowds at the Joel when Wake had fewer students, so attendance isn't about undergrad size at this point. Our poor bball attendance is secondary to 10 years of losing, the pandemic, and a weak out of conference set of games.

Counterpoint: successful businesses also understand how to adapt and pivot to meet the needs of the future.

Counterpoint: successful businesses also understand how to adapt and pivot to meet the needs of the future.

Good point. A great way to adapt to the needs of Wake bball future is to hire a great coach (done) and improve the gameday experience (better opponents, concessions, etc. - some of this is being worked on). A bad strategy would be increasing our enrollment, as we have already seen that has lowered our academics and has not resulted in more bball fans.

Whitt is a very good ball handler and passer. Still growing/filling out/hitting weight room. Looks a little bigger than LY.

McCray will be good, very fast first step and explosiveness to rim.

LaRavia better than expected, tough.

Sy better than expected, good shooter, good length - we need him.

Williamson, Williams and Hildreth are just solid all around.

It's normal for bored snooty Wake "fans" to tell you to sit down or just show up to sit there and gossip. Real fans yell and cheer. Good for you!

Davis Field is pretty much the last bit of green space left on campus. What a bummer.

Definitely no room for an on-campus arena unless they build on that shitty strip between campus and the football stadium.

I like Davis Field as well - the school let our fraternity throw a pretty epic Wiz Khalifa concert there - but it's certainly not the last green space on campus. There's about 5X that amount of space between the welcome center/admissions and Reynolda Village, including another field. Also about 3X that space behind the golf complex and The Barn. Good amount of trees/forest in those areas though that would have to be strategically thinned out. Not sure where an arena might fit (I'm fine with the Joel), but let's not make it seem like our beautiful campus is going to turn into State's or Maryland's.

To confirm, fairly quickly: there will be a building going in on the corner of Davis near Olin/ZSR/Benson; the current plan is to use it as academic swing space for overflow departments and to allow renovations to other buildings as needed. There is also a plan to re-route Wake Forest Road directly up past Scales towards the Quad (so somewhat symmetrical to the other side of campus).

Source: This has all been disclosed at planning meetings that have been open for anyone to attend, albeit these plans were put in place pre-COVID. No need for secrecy here.

Any word on Sy? His left knee buckled coming down. Not sure if that's a problem knee from the past.

Looked like it was knee to knee contact, not a non contact injury which is good. Scary when it happened, I could hear his yell from the stands.

Out of all those ideas, expanding the school is supposedly the only one already in the works. Wake is adding new staff for the engineering programs that started three or four years ago and the rumor is they’ll build another dorm and some academic buildings for engineering on what is now Davis field. Obviously don’t know if that’s true or if covid has changed that but I head that from kids in student gov a couple years ago. I think adding a thousand or so students would be fine as long as we do it by adding programs and not by lowering academic standards.

Does that mean that the Engineering program would no longer be housed in Wake Downtown? My son may be interested in studying engineering- what would be the draw paying out the $$ for a Wake engineering degree vs. in-state at State for engineering at this point?

To confirm, fairly quickly: --------There is also a plan to re-route Wake Forest Road directly up past Scales towards the Quad (so somewhat symmetrical to the other side of campus).
S

Ha -- you mean like it was originally done until changed in ?? year? But, now it would make for a congested intersection. I imagine much more traffic now than in the 1960s.

To confirm, fairly quickly: there will be a building going in on the corner of Davis near Olin/ZSR/Benson; the current plan is to use it as academic swing space for overflow departments and to allow renovations to other buildings as needed. There is also a plan to re-route Wake Forest Road directly up past Scales towards the Quad (so somewhat symmetrical to the other side of campus).

Source: This has all been disclosed at planning meetings that have been open for anyone to attend, albeit these plans were put in place pre-COVID. No need for secrecy here.

I literally hate everything about this talk of expansion. Why are we fundamentally changing who Wake is after 180 years? Why an engineering school at all? That is the exact opposite of who we are as a school. Why was Wake considered one of the most beautiful campuses in the country - the beautiful architecture (absent Scales), the greenspace, and the trees. So let's get rid of more and more of the space and the trees. What was unique about Wake? It's small size - which leads to small classes, everyone knowing everyone else, familiarity with professors, deans, etc. - so let's get rid of that too... Sorry - old guy venting alert...

oh noes....something is going to change on campus and fundamentally change WFU? Settle down and remember that once upon a time Wake Forest literally picked up and moved to an entirely different city. Change happens, embrace it or get left behind.

Is Wake actually somewhat good again????

DA7, there is more talent top to bottom on this team except for the Collins team, they are playing cupcakes now but looking like a basketball team instead of five guys trying to do there own thing out there. We will see if this continues. My hope is we can steal some in conference wins and start to let the conference know that Wake is not a walkover anymore. Hoping to get to 50-50 in conference.

.500 in the ACC would be a major victory for the rebuild. Not playing on Tuesday in the ACC tourney would be like using a time machine to speed up the rebuild. Both can be done if the effort and team-first focus continues.

DA7, there is more talent top to bottom on this team except for the Collins team, they are playing cupcakes now but looking like a basketball team instead of five guys trying to do there own thing out there. We will see if this continues. My hope is we can steal some in conference wins and start to let the conference know that Wake is not a walkover anymore. Hoping to get to 50-50 in conference.

The biggest difference I see between this team and previous years is the number of deflections and steals we get on defense. We clearly have a defensive identity and plan. Watch how often our help defender digs down on the main driving the ball, for example.

Back