• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 3: Utah Utes - Thursday 9 pm - Charleston Classic Quarter-Final ESPNU

On Torvik, you can customize the rankings to take out all prior weights so that each team is graded just on a specific date range. Based just on games since the season started on November 5 to date (so, eliminating all preconceived notions about who is good this year and who is not), Utah is #4 in the country. Wake Forest is #176. There are a ton of flaws with such a small sample size as WF is overly punished because UGA had such a crappy game against Oregon, before playing much better at home against WF, but this just confirms how well Utah has played to date. FWIW, potential 2nd round opponent Houston is #2 in the country based on games played to date.
Time to go all-in on our UMass-Lowell against Tech tonight.

Dare I say Utah is a must win? Obviously we have so much more season to play, but beating Utah gets us a probable Q1 win and unlocks two more major opportunities. Lets put it this way, if we beat Utah, play Houston close, and beat a decent (Q2) team in the consolation game, a 10-10 or 11-9 conference record might be enough. But if we lose to Utah and play/beat two mediocre teams, we need a 13-7 conference record to make up for it. These early games mean so much now, and having dropped the UGA game, I think this is a must win.

The next few weeks are a bit nerve wracking. There is a possibility that the season is basically already over if we go 1-2 in Charleston and don’t beat Florida and Rutgers at home.

I think my SIL and I are going to the Recovery Room in Charleston for a beer before the game Thursday night. The Recovery Room is a dive famous for selling more 12 oz cans of PBR than any location in the world - every year for like 10 years in a row. I have never been but any place that sells that much PBR must be awful right - so we have to go check it out... Maybe I'll ask them what kind of fruity craft beer they have on tap...

Primer as somebody who lived in Charleston for a few years. Other locals can chime in as well - I'm biased towards King Street because I lived right by there and walked frequently to these spots. All of these are within at least 20 mins walking to the arena/wherever you will park. There's obviously other stuff further away that you could go earlier and then drive to the the parking deck for the game.

As far as pre-game drinks:

Uptown Social
King Street Dispensary
Griffon (cool dive bar with dollar bills everywhere)
Tommy Condon's Irish Pub
Blind Tiger
Prohibition (more upscale than the others)
Rusty Bull Brewing

If you're looking for food, I recommend the following, but really anything is damn good in the area:

The Darling Oyster Bar
Indaco
The Ordinary
167 Raw Oyster Bar
Queology

You can also try to get reservations at Halls Chophouse, High Cotton, SNOB, and Magnolias if you're looking for a higher-scale dinner. You can also gamble and try to sit at the bar, which I've had success with in the past.

Happy to try to answer any questions for folks coming in.

Last edited:
Primer as somebody who lived in Charleston for a few years. Other locals can chime in as well - I'm biased towards King Street because I lived right by there and walked frequently to these spots. All of these are within at least 20 mins walking to the arena/wherever you will park. There's obviously other stuff further away that you could go earlier and then drive to the the parking deck for the game.

Uptown Social
King Street Dispensary
Tommy Condon's Irish Pub
Blind Tiger
Rusty Bull Brewing

If you're looking for food, I recommend the following, but really anything is damn good in the area:

The Darling Oyster Bar
Indaco
The Ordinary
167 Raw Oyster Bar
Queology

You can also try to get reservations at Halls Chophouse, High Cotton, SNOB, and Magnolias if you're looking for a higher-scale dinner. You can also gamble and try to sit at the bar, which I've had success with in the past.

Some of the best BBQ I've ever had was at Rodney Scott's in Charleston. Definitely recommend. Also, the Dewberry rooftop cocktail bar is a cool spot to hangout. Love Charleston

Some of the best BBQ I've ever had was at Rodney Scott's in Charleston. Definitely recommend. Also, the Dewberry rooftop cocktail bar is a cool spot to hangout. Love Charleston
Yeah Rodney Scott is delicious.

Leon's Oyster Shop is further up on King and not walkable, but possibly one of my favorites restaurants. Hard to beat fried chicken and oysters.

Home Team is a chain around the area for BBQ, but also get their GameChanger if you're into alcoholic beverages.

Can confirm: Leons and 167 (If you can get a seat. It's a tiny spot and we had to wait over an hour in the middle of the day) were my favorites when I was there.

I think my SIL and I are going to the Recovery Room in Charleston for a beer before the game Thursday night. The Recovery Room is a dive famous for selling more 12 oz cans of PBR than any location in the world - every year for like 10 years in a row. I have never been but any place that sells that much PBR must be awful right - so we have to go check it out... Maybe I'll ask them what kind of fruity craft beer they have on tap...
There is nothing awful about the Rec Room - it's a FANTASTIC dive bar.

Murmurings that Marsh might be hurt. Apparently took a hard elbow to the dome at end of Georgia game. That would be very not good.

Uptown Social
King Street Dispensary
Tommy Condon's Irish Pub
Blind Tiger
Rusty Bull Brewing

The Darling Oyster Bar
Indaco
The Ordinary
167 Raw Oyster Bar
Queology

Probably the best Italian meal I have ever had was at Melfi's on King

Murmurings that Marsh might be hurt. Apparently took a hard elbow to the dome at end of Georgia game. That would be very not good.
That would be perfect - the first game this year where his game would likely be useful.

Back