• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 31: Syracuse @ the JMA Wireless Dome - Saturday 5 pm - Bally's

Pilchard

Reaction score
Well that went kinda went fast. Regular season ends on Saturday at Cuse.

Here is the breakdown of a team playing worse than the Deacs:

Syracuse: KP#127 16-14 (9-10). On Valentine's Day, the Orange edged NC State at home to improve to 16-10 (9-6), and it appeared Cuse may be making a late run to get on the bubble. Um... No. Since that game:

• 22 point home loss to Duke
  • 18 point road loss to Clemson
  • 17 point road loss to Pitt
  • 20 point home loss to GT
During that horrific 4 game stretch, Torvik rates Cuse as the worst team in the ACC (yes, worse than L'ville) and the #303 team in the country. Specifically, Cuse quit on defense as they are giving up a 1.29 points per possession (#362 of the 363 D1 teams). Over the past 4 weeks, opponents have shot 62.5% from two against Cuse; 43% from three, and opponents crushed Cuse on the offensive boards as the Orange are surrendering a 39% offensive rebound rate. WF has been poor during this stretch too (1-3: #108 on offense; #198 on defense), but Cuse's collapse has been far worse, and they didn't lose a player on the level of Damari Monsanto.

Roster:

In the blow out loss to GT, Cuse started (as reflected below, Cuse's offense has been decent, but not enough to make up for the atrocious defense):

6-1 Joe Girard: seems like Girard has played at Cuse forever; leads team in scoring 17 ppg, second in assists; 39% from three; struggled against GT: 3 for 10 from the field; no assists 3 TOs; 75 O rating
6-3 Judah Mintz: WF recruited Mintz hard; played well of late, averaging 20 ppg over the four losses; 29% from three; gets to the line a lot
6-6 Justin Taylor: frosh; has a high game of "2" over the last six games; 39% from three; started the loss two, not sure why
6-9 Benny Williams: coming off his two of his best games of the year: 24 points 9 boards in the loss to Pitt; 11 points 7 boards 3 assists in the loss to GT
6-11 Jesse Edwards: only player on the roster that bothers to defend the pain; #12 in the nation in block rate; 58% from the field; 14 ppg 10 rpg; doesn't shoot the three

Bench:

6-8 Maliq Brown: freshman, started a handful of games; doesn't shoot the three; 70% from two; 56% from the line
6-3 Symir Torrience: Marquette transfer that has done little; 2.6 points a game; 33% from three

Projection: KP projects a 80-79 WF win; Torvik 81-79 WF (the projections don't factor in the loss of Monsanto).

Both teams are struggling. Cuse is struggling more than WF, but the Orange are coming off an embarrassing blowout loss to GT. So, unless Cuse has completely quit, would expect a decent effort from the Orange on Saturday. Not beyond the realm of possibility that this is Boeheim's last game in the Dome (I know he says he's returning).

Have been pounding the WF unders since Monsanto went out (2 easy covers), but Cuse's defense is so dreadful that I can't back that angle. Would expect Cuse to be a slight favorite, with Monsanto out, but WF is depleted and IIRC, WF has never won in the Dome. Not interested in Cuse either as they have been the worst power conference team in the country over the last two weeks. Hard pass.

Probably an ugly game that Cuse wins by a few points just by being at home.

6-11 Jesse Edwards: only player on the roster that bothers to defend the pain; #12 in the nation in block rate; 58% from the field; 14 ppg 10 rpg; doesn't shoot the three

giphy-2.gif

Expecting about 30 points from Girard (who is from where I grew up; his dad played for my high school team a few years before me and was a nasty 3pt shooter himself).

As an aside, Girard is exactly the type of guy I'd expect to come back for an extra COVID year. So we may not be done with him yet.

As another aside, when I think about watching this game (and I will), it causes me great discomfort deep in my soul. Masochism.

We'd probably win this game by about 40 points with Monsanto just stroking it around the lazy 2-3 zone.

As it stands, I worry about us scoring enough to git 'er done.

I said on a different thread that I expect us to settle for a lot of 3s against the zone so our ability to hit even a decent percentage will have a huge impact on whether we get a W.

Jersey retirements for former player on senior day?

Well that went kinda went fast. Regular season ends on Saturday at Cuse.

Here is the breakdown of a team playing worse than the Deacs:

Syracuse: KP#127 16-14 (9-10). On Valentine's Day, the Orange edged NC State at home to improve to 16-10 (9-6), and it appeared Cuse may be making a late run to get on the bubble. Um... No. Since that game:

• 22 point home loss to Duke
  • 18 point road loss to Clemson
  • 17 point road loss to Pitt
  • 20 point home loss to GT
During that horrific 4 game stretch, Torvik rates Cuse as the worst team in the ACC (yes, worse than L'ville) and the #303 team in the country. Specifically, Cuse quit on defense as they are giving up a 1.29 points per possession (#362 of the 363 D1 teams). Over the past 4 weeks, opponents have shot 62.5% from two against Cuse; 43% from three, and opponents crushed Cuse on the offensive boards as the Orange are surrendering a 39% offensive rebound rate. WF has been poor during this stretch too (1-3: #108 on offense; #198 on defense), but Cuse's collapse has been far worse, and they didn't lose a player on the level of Damari Monsanto.

Roster:

In the blow out loss to GT, Cuse started (as reflected below, Cuse's offense has been decent, but not enough to make up for the atrocious defense):

6-1 Joe Girard: seems like Girard has played at Cuse forever; leads team in scoring 17 ppg, second in assists; 39% from three; struggled against GT: 3 for 10 from the field; no assists 3 TOs; 75 O rating
6-3 Judah Mintz: WF recruited Mintz hard; played well of late, averaging 20 ppg over the four losses; 29% from three; gets to the line a lot
6-6 Justin Taylor: frosh; has a high game of "2" over the last six games; 39% from three; started the loss two, not sure why
6-9 Benny Williams: coming off his two of his best games of the year: 24 points 9 boards in the loss to Pitt; 11 points 7 boards 3 assists in the loss to GT

Bench:

6-8 Maliq Brown: freshman, started a handful of games; doesn't shoot the three; 70% from two; 56% from the line
6-3 Symir Torrience: Marquette transfer that has done little; 2.6 points a game; 33% from three

Projection: KP projects a 80-79 WF win; Torvik 81-79 WF (the projections don't factor in the loss of Monsanto).

Both teams are struggling. Cuse is struggling more than WF, but the Orange are coming off an embarrassing blowout loss to GT. So, unless Cuse has completely quit, would expect a decent effort from the Orange on Saturday. Not beyond the realm of possibility that this is Boeheim's last game in the Dome (I know he says he's returning).

Have been pounding the WF unders since Monsanto went out (2 easy covers), but Cuse's defense is so dreadful that I can't back that angle. Would expect Cuse to be a slight favorite, with Monsanto out, but WF is depleted and IIRC, WF has never won in the Dome. Not interested in Cuse either as they have been the worst power conference team in the country over the last two weeks. Hard pass.
I wonder if Judah got some of Adam Weitsman's massive NIL $$$? Not that Buttheim would ever buy a roster

Nah I think we'll win. Not by a lot but I think we'll close it out - I know we're all depressed at the moment but I think this team does well on bounce back games even without Monsanto. Plus Cuse is looking like complete crap. BC was a much better team and they've been playing great so not going to use Tuesday as the reason for a permanent demise.

We ain't making the tourney but I still see us winning tomorrow & next Wednesday but not much more. Not sure if that's enough for us to slide into the NIT but if not, I'm ready for a positive off-season. Let's just win a couple more with the cards that we have. I refuse to see the potential of this team diminish to bottom tier ACC because we absolutely do not belong there any more. #ForbesGang

If we win, we might get BC in the ACCT, while if we lose, we definitely get Syracuse, correct? Think I'd rather play Syracuse. I don't want us to lose, but if resting Appleby slightly increases our chances of a good ACCT showing, I could get behind that.

If we win, we might get BC in the ACCT, while if we lose, we definitely get Syracuse, correct? Think I'd rather play Syracuse. I don't want us to lose, but if resting Appleby slightly increases our chances of a good ACCT showing, I could get behind that.
As far as I understand, we are locked into the 8/9 game, right? May as well rest everyone if so.

We get the 8/9 no matter what. If we lose to Cuse, we play Cuse. If we beat Cuse and BC beats GT we play BC. If we beat Cuse and BC loses we play Cuse.

I want us to win (obviously) and for BC to win. It would be nice to have another shot at those goofy fucks.

Yeah after they blew all those kisses at our players and fans I'd definitely like another shot at BC just to have something interesting to root for. Who cares if we beat Syracuse?

Back