• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 31: Syracuse @ the JMA Wireless Dome - Saturday 5 pm - Bally's

All our bigs are weak. Bradford the best but doesn't play anymore.

If it's not Tyree throwing the ball away, our bigs are having a rebound taken away or Klintman is throwing a soft, slow (weak) pass that gets picked off. He has about 3 of those a game no matter the opponent.

Our bigs are totally afraid inside. No one has scoring skills with back to the basket, a short jumper, or a hook shot.

What in God’s name makes you think we can beat Cuse on Wednesday?
We have been beyond awful in the ACCT. We haven't made it to the Semifinals since 2006, when my now 17 year old son was just 3 months old. Since then we have won 1 game in 2007, 1 game in 2014, 1 game in 2017. The only time we have played in the Quarterfinals was in 2009 when #2 seed WFU lost to #7 seed Maryland.
Wake would have been better served if the ACC only allowed the top 8 seeds to play in the Tourney. At least that way we wouldn't even have played in the tourney except for last year and avoided a ton of losses.

Did we win?
Yep, a close game but my most hated rival took it on the chin 62-57 to put their NCAA chances in serious jeopardy.
In another game I was more casually following,the Deacs continued their traditional limp into ACC tournament. So a split for me, but all-in-all a good day for my bb fandom.

This team just never had enough (any) depth. Any of Tyree, Carr, Cam, or Damari going down was going to be the end of the season.
Only 10 scholarship slots provided guys who potentially could play game minutes. One vacant, one injured, one red shirt. That is 23% missing. With Damari's injury, that becomes 4/13, or over 30% unavailable.

Damari was a particularly critical loss, because he was the biggest outside shooting threat on the team. His size and range allowed him to be a credible shooter almost anywhere in the front court. That allowed a lot of room for the rest of the offense to operate. Take that away, and defending Wake gets much easier, as seen in the App game and these last few after Damari's injury.

It will be interesting to see what Forbes can do when (if) he has guys who could play in games in all 13 scholarship slots. Or at least in 12 if Damari can't go at the beginning of next season.

We need 3, maybe 4 from the portal.
I don't think we get more than two from the portal. More likely one. And the most important one is a point guard. Preferably one with some experience against P6 teams.

Continued development of the guys who are contributing. A full off-season for Klintman with Wake S&C staff. Another full off-season with Wake S&C staff for Marsh, Keller, Carr, Hildreth, Taylor and McCray. Monsanto returns to something near his pre-knee injury self sooner rather than later.

I don't think we get more than two from the portal. More likely one. And the most important one is a point guard. Preferably one with some experience against P6 teams.

Continued development of the guys who are contributing. A full off-season for Klintman with Wake S&C staff. Another full off-season with Wake S&C staff for Marsh, Keller, Carr, Hildreth, Taylor and McCray. Monsanto returns to something near his pre-knee injury self sooner rather than later.
Talent infusion needed. Much like a blood transfusion.
I'll go with Ty and Daivien graduating.

Bradford out.

Taylor and McCray out.

As a guess.

Let's get a Appleby level PG, A Walton type Center. And a lockdown 3 and D wing.

Get that and we are top-20

I'd rather get a Duncan level big, a cp3 level pg, and a Redick level shooter. easy peasy.

I'd rather get a Duncan level big, a cp3 level pg, and a Redick level shooter. easy peasy.
Just check a few street corners. Those kinds of guys should be standing around just waiting for Forbes to stop and invite them onto the Wake team.

Agreed. I'd settle for a Childress or a pre injury little penny.

I think both teams are pretty bad right now and that Cuse plays much better at home than they do on the road. Of course we can’t do anything in the Acct so there’s that lol
Yeah we can't do anything in the ACC tournament and Syracuse usually wins at least 1 game in the ACC tourney.

Agreed though that neither team is very good lol.

Cuse went

5-5 vs the ACC at home vs teams with an average Torvik rank of #108, average margin -1.2 points
5-5 vs the ACC on the road vs teams with an average Torvik rank of #86. average margin -2.4 points

(and yes I understand that taking the average of something like Torvik rating is far from perfect, but this is tstill instructive)

Last edited:
Back