• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 33: ACCT Quarterfinal - #1 Seed Miami - Thursday Nooner - ESPN

How would you grade his defense?
Against the strongest player in the ACC? Not great. But he's taking on work that should really be the role of Marsh or Bradford, but the latter quit on the team altogether. And who are the other options for guarding the post? Miller had 18 and Omier had 14. So clearly the other options for post defense were also getting torched.

There were a few plays where I felt like Marsh legit didn't know where the ball was as somebody was making a layup near him.

Like if you were playing NBA2K and just stood in the lane facing the wrong way and left to go to the bathroom for a few minutes and kept the game running.

pulp-fiction-john-travolta.gif

There were a few plays where I felt like Marsh legit didn't know where the ball was as somebody was making a layup near him.

Like if you were playing NBA2K and just stood in the lane facing the wrong way and left to go to the bathroom for a few minutes and kept the game running.
That's something that can be addressed with more film study and experience. Marsh committed and joined the team late his freshman year and showed some flashes. This season he showed he can be a rim runner and finisher but not much else. I think he'll add some elements to his game.

I hope so. I really like Marsh. I just thought he struggled mightily with Omier (as many do... he's a handful). Which is probably why he only played 18 minutes in a game were we basically played 5 players.

looked at Marsh's basketball reference page and saw he was 18-43 from the free throw line for the year. Woof.

Bradford was 10 for 29. So, WF two true 5s went 28 for 72 (39%) from the line on the season. Impossibly bad.

FWIW, Marsh final "O" rating for the season was 146.6, which was the highest mark of all 4000 or so college basketball players in the KP database for the 2023 season. Helps to have an 88% FG%. Would love to know how many shots Marsh took that were not dunks or attempted dunks.

There is something to work with in Matthew Marsh.

I'm not asking him to be Dikembe. I just want him to block like a shot a game and provide some line of defense inside. Awareness around finding the ball when a shot is missed and preventing dudes from getting positioning on him would also help.

Yeah. On offense, he needs to learn how get to the basket with the ball, how to back down his defender and use at least one post move.

Marsh finished the season with 6 block shots in 547 minutes. Almost inconceivable how bad he was defensively, regardless of matchup. Teams specifically targeted him in the PnR and forced him out of the game.

Marsh finished the season with 6 block shots in 547 minutes. Almost inconceivable how bad he was defensively, regardless of matchup. Teams specifically targeted him in the PnR and forced him out of the game.
And 3 of those blocks were in the last 5 games (99 minutes).

"We have to protect the rim better." - Forbes

Also, Klintman showed 6'6 bully ball Omier what is up from the weak side. Glad to see Marsh and Klintman start defending the paint in the second half.

This feels like the building or in this case complete re-building of a program.

In a couple of years, maybe next year, when we are playing for the ACCT title, or NCAA sweet sixteen, dudes like Appleby, Williamson and others will show up to cheer on our Deacs.

Bradford was 10 for 29. So, WF two true 5s went 28 for 72 (39%) from the line on the season. Impossibly bad.

FWIW, Marsh final "O" rating for the season was 146.6, which was the highest mark of all 4000 or so college basketball players in the KP database for the 2023 season. Helps to have an 88% FG%. Would love to know how many shots Marsh took that were not dunks or attempted dunks.

There is something to work with in Matthew Marsh.
It is mind boggling how one can be so bad at the line. Obviously mental, but geez you are just doing the same flick of the wrist which you have done a thousand times before. You would think you could repeat it successfully at least 60 per cent of the time.

Hildreth played his ass off the past 2 days. After the 3 sub-par games to close the season, this was great to see. Watching him in person makes it easier to appreciate his defense and physicality. He’s a tough dude. If he can develop his 3 point and mid- range shooting over the off season, he can be really good next year. Klintman has a huge upside. He can the potential to be a double- double machine and much better scorer. Hopefully Keller and Marsh also improve and we add some portal pieces to the freshmen recruits. There is reason for optimism.
when i was leaving the hotel yesterday, cam was out horsing around waiting on the team bus. i laughed because i was uptight and this dude was having a blast

Honestly, after Carr was getting abused in the post I would have had Keller in for a few series just to see if he could hold his own.

Back