• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 33: ACCT Quarterfinal - #1 Seed Miami - Thursday Nooner - ESPN

First of all, the goal is to pick the best teams for the tournament, meaning the teams most likely to advance in the tournament.

Second, "best resume" is fuzzy. There are plenty of variables, but what is the outcome? I'm saying the outcome should be tournament performance. I'm not sure what outcome NET is supposed to be.
Is that the goal? I thought the goal was to pick the most "deserving" non-conference tournament winners based on their overall body of work during the season. I mean none of these have perfect definitions so there's a lot of crossover, but yeah I do agree that the teams with the "best resume" defining that however you want, but let's say for the sake of common ground this is a hybrid of record adjusting for SOS plus quality wins in some manner, aren't always the teams "most likely" to advance in the tournament.

"Best resume" and "deserving" are fuzzy terms.

I'm not saying statistical projections are concrete, but it's easier to get behind a system grounded in past results on the biggest stage. For example, saying each point above 100 in defense rating increases the odds of outperforming a tournament seed by 2% and each point above 100 in offensive ratings increase those odds by 1.5%.

not sure what i think about giving duke a bump because coach k lead leatner and hurly to back to back titles.

then again i think i do know what i think about that.

just got settled in from game. great effort by the team. proud like others have stated. never quit. and we finally played in the quarterfinals!!!
in forbes we trust

not sure what i think about giving duke a bump because coach k lead leatner and hurly to back to back titles.

then again i think i do know what i think about that.
OK Barca was joking. Are you joking?

Then why make a list that puts Liberty ahead of Missouri/Providence/State/etc if they're not going to include Liberty over those teams?

There should be a system that ranks teams based on their projected success in the tournament and use that to make the field and seed the teams. We've got enough data from past NCAA Tournaments to do this.
On your latter point, if that’s the criteria I’m putting Texas Tech, Michigan, and Ohio State in over Clemson or Pitt.

But none of those teams deserve to be ahead of those ACC teams based on their seasons. That’s where it gets tricky — trying to walk the right rope between best/deserving.

On your latter point, if that’s the criteria I’m putting Texas Tech, Michigan, and Ohio State in over Clemson or Pitt.

But none of those teams deserve to be ahead of those ACC teams based on their seasons. That’s where it gets tricky — trying to walk the right rope between best/deserving.
Why?

Because they'd all be favored in Vegas over both Clemson and Pitt if they played today?

But he may be referring to their recent tournament success(es)

I liked Forbes reiterating this was season 2 and not 3.

Next recruiting mission: Appleby 2.0. That is, an experienced true point guard who can run the offense and make everybody else better.

Next recruiting mission: Appleby 2.0. That is, an experienced true point guard who can run the offense and make everybody else better.
Yes and another big. Marsh has showed improvement and hopefully surprises people next year but we need some athletic muscle inside.

Back