• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 33: ACCT Quarterfinal - #1 Seed Miami - Thursday Nooner - ESPN

Why did they keep saying Wong is the ACC POY? That was making my hair fall out. But, is that true? I was so confused.
he's the "official" ACC POY, but Ty won AP.

it's weird because in other sports the AP award is often the definitive one or has more weight. like when Grobe was the AP national COY. or the NFL All Pro Team. the AP NFL MVP is the one recognized at the NFL Honors awards before the Super Bowl.

I love the idea of having a banner for ACC POY. Problem is you would have to then distinguish between AP and coaches. Listening to the game today, you would never have thought Appleby won AP ACC POY, only 2nd place behind Wong in the coaches. We'd still have a respectable list.

If UCF can put up national championship stuff in their stadium for something that nobody outside of their own fan base gives them credit for, I think that being named Player of the Year by the AP is sufficient enough to warrant that kind of recognition. I say do it!

So far, there are 7 teams that won their conference regular season, but lost in the conference tournament to get NIT bids. They will likely be a few more. So, to receive an NIT bid, WF will need to be among the top 20 teams or so that didnt get an NCAA bid. WF is 91 in Net and 89 in KP. Don't think that's going to get it done. We shall see.

Broken record, and they can make a couple small transparency tweaks, but all-in-all the system works really well. The problem is the sharp cutoff for creating the quads which the media/fans also focus hard core on all year without knowing what the impact of those specific breakdowns even are for the committee.

The NET is a really good way of combining what a team has done on the court balancing for the strength of their opponents and how good that team actually is today from a neutral-Vegas perspective (aka setting predictions if two teams were to play today).

I love the idea of having a banner for ACC POY. Problem is you would have to then distinguish between AP and coaches. Listening to the game today, you would never have thought Appleby won AP ACC POY, only 2nd place behind Wong in the coaches. We'd still have a respectable list.

It is our banner so we could do what we want.

Well, I turned it off when we were down 17. So one of our employees comes walking by my office and says did they shoot a 2 or 3 at the end? I was like why, what happened? She said your guys lost by 2, I was stunned!

Well, I turned it off when we were down 17. So one of our employees comes walking by my office and says did they shoot a 2 or 3 at the end? I was like why, what happened? She said your guys lost by 2, I was stunned!
quitters never win

this is all YOUR fault!

Broken record, and they can make a couple small transparency tweaks, but all-in-all the system works really well. The problem is the sharp cutoff for creating the quads which the media/fans also focus hard core on all year without knowing what the impact of those specific breakdowns even are for the committee.

The NET is a really good way of combining what a team has done on the court balancing for the strength of their opponents and how good that team actually is today from a neutral-Vegas perspective (aka setting predictions if two teams were to play today).
So talk me through why Wake (at 42 in the NET) didn't get in last year, while Rutgers (80 in the NET) did?

So talk me through why Wake (at 42 in the NET) didn't get in last year, while Rutgers (80 in the NET) did?

Because "R" comes before "W"??

Still so pissed that 13-7 Wake got hosed by the NCAAT Committe last season. :(

Your employee expected you to watch the game.

Because they don't strictly use the NET to fill out the bracket?
Then what's the purpose of NET as the official NCAA ranking system? I can understand seeding #25 ahead of #22, but putting #80 in the field over #42 invalidates the system.

Then what's the purpose of NET as the official NCAA ranking system? I can understand seeding #25 ahead of #22, but putting #80 in the field over #42 invalidates the system.
To use as their primary (but not only) sorting tool. I'm not defending the way the committee uses the NET (either in extracting the data into arbitrary quadrants or how the committee uses the NET rankings to fill out the bracket), I'm defending the system itself which largely does a very good job evaluating teams on a hybird resume/predictive basis.

Because they don't strictly use the NET to fill out the bracket?
As Ph wrote, then what's the purpose of making it the official metric? And, in what metric was Rutgers better ranked than Wake?

Yeah, I know, it was just getting to the point I couldn't take it. I would've bet some good coin it was headed for a 20+ point blow out. Props to our guys for not quitting.

It's easy to be disappointed, but tough to be mad. We gave it all we had and we lost to a better team by 2. Honestly, I also find that Miami team and even Larranaga likable. I've always liked Wong's game and demeanor. Jordan Miller was a class act in the postgame interview.
I like Larranaga.

Back