• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 35: Deacs @ A&M -- Wednesday 7 pm - ESPN 2

KP's team history goes back goes back to 1997. That is 26 seasons. Throwing out the 2020 season when the NCAAT was cancelled that leaves 25 seasons. To make the 75% NCAAT benchmark, a team would have to qualify for the NCAAT 19 or more times over the last 25 NCAATs.

There are several ACC programs that have made Final 4s and won Nattys, but only Duke and UNC have made the tournament 75% or more of that time frame.

Duke 24
UNC 22
Cuse 18
L'ville 17
Pitt 13
ND 13
UVA 11
Miami 10
NC State 10
FSU 9
WF 9
Clemson 8
BC 8
GT 6
VT 6

We all have high aspirations for WF basketball, but a 75% NCAAT rate is not realistic.

KP's team history goes back goes back to 1997. That is 26 seasons. Throwing out the 2020 season when the NCAAT was cancelled that leaves 25 seasons. To make the 75% NCAAT benchmark, a team would have to qualify for the NCAAT 19 or more times over the last 25 NCAATs.

There are several ACC programs that have made Final 4s and won Nattys, but only Duke and UNC have made the tournament 75% or more of that time frame.

Duke 24
UNC 22
Cuse 18
L'ville 17
Pitt 13
ND 13
UVA 11
Miami 10
NC State 10
FSU 9
WF 9
Clemson 8
BC 8
GT 6
VT 6

We all have high aspirations for WF basketball, but a 75% NCAAT rate is not realistic.

What was our tourney rate from the 90-91 season through 2010? I think that's what people are angling for. Becoming relevant again and with some staying power.

It’s pretty depressing that NC State has been to more tournaments since 1997 than Wake has. And we’ve only been to one more than Clemson. We have a long way to go.

The most amazing part to me is Wake fans, who I know were watching, have complete Amenesia when it comes to Wake hoops over the last 25 years. And the worst is it's happening again right before our eyes. Folks have completely disappeared again. They will surface again in November with new memories of "all those great years with Alondes and Coach Forbes."

Just as they did about "all those great Prosser/CP3 years. Man, that Joel was rocking, we are going to be great like we were with Alondes and CP3 and J Ho."

It's just delusional and prevents us from addressing the problem.

Barry Faircloth ain't coming with an answer folks. The answer is on us. Meanwhile our alums have started golf season never to think about investing in Wake hoops again until next January when they think back on "all those great times with Alondes and CP3."

And the cycle goes on and on with folks wondering why we can't win. It has to be the Coach! Even though we have now gone through 5 of them with the same damn answer.

What was our tourney rate from the 90-91 season through 2010? I think that's what people are angling for. Becoming relevant again and with some staying power.

14 times in 20 seasons. Tim Duncan was 4 for 4. Chris Paul was 2 for 2.

Where we were - 12/15 bids from '90-'91 to '04-'05
Where we are - 3/17 bids from '05-'06 to now.

Of those 3 bids
- 4 seed, L against Cleveland St.
- 9 seed, upset W against Texas, blown out against 1 Kentucky
- 11 seed, First Four L against 11 Kansas St.

That is pathetic over 17 seasons. I am glad to see us awake again as a program, but as Wenger said

It’s pretty depressing that NC State has been to more tournaments since 1997 than Wake has. And we’ve only been to one more than Clemson. We have a long way to go.

Yes, we do have a long way to go, and don't want to lose sight of that in what was a fun season. It still ended in 0 ACCT wins and no NCAAT bid.

POY and COY was great momentum to build recruiting and program name, which is badly needed.

We need to get some postseason wins, soon.

The college basketball landscape is completely different than it was in the 90s. There are far more power conference teams and mid-major conferences are stronger. There are just more programs in the mix.

Those ACC numbers are skewed by the presence of Dean Smith, Roy Williams, and K. They are gone now and the ACC is up for grabs. I don’t see any one factor that absolutely makes the 75% NCAA tournament rate “unrealistic.“ It’s a major mountain to climb but I’m pretty sure hoping for that kind of success is why we’re all here.

If Wake beat a typical Roy Williams or Dean Smith coached UNC team this season instead of a Hubert Davis coached UNC team, Wake may have made the field. A weaker UNC or Duke doesn't help get at-large bids.

Maybe we don’t have to defer to those teams anymore or rely upon them alone to be the rising tide.

This was a much improved team Pilchard. Shocking how fast the improvement was from where we have been.

However, missing the NCAA tournament is not good in say…2030. Which means it’s not good now.

Is that an attack on Forbes? Of course not. He’s done great. We screwed this up over the last 25 years. Whether we will be good in 2030 or not depends on the decisions we make now. It is apparent that the Wake Forest alum view is “it’s the Coaches job to win…it will be interesting to see how Forbes does.”

And that is why we will continue to suck for several more decades.

The approach should be…what can we do to improve the program in 2030. The answer there of course is a new stadium and an NIL foundation formation. I hear 0 chatter about that. I hear folks squeaking who go to 2-3 games a year about our Coach instead of organizing real change.

Doesn't this have to start at the institutional level? I chat about this a lot with colleagues and family and I want us to get to that next level as much as anyone. I contribute 5-figures annually to the Deacon Club and grateful that I can. But I'm light years from McCreary or Shah. Currie couldn't spot me in a lineup. So, he's not going to answer the phone no matter how pissed I might become over this issue and hear me out.

I'm really not trying to be a smartass. But I'm not sure what you're getting at with the rank-and-file alums being the issue. If the school kicks off a campus arena or NIL campaign and I can be of assistance, I'm more than willing to contribute and I'm sure others will as well. This takes leadership that states a clear direction and goals. Again, I can call Currie tomorrow and tell him we need to do everything you state. I suspect I'll get a nice lapel pin and a "go deacs" sticker in reply. Beyond that, just running around bitching about it isn't going to help either.

Doesn't this have to start at the institutional level? I chat about this a lot with colleagues and family and I want us to get to that next level as much as anyone. I contribute 5-figures annually to the Deacon Club and grateful that I can. But I'm light years from McCreary or Shah. Currie couldn't spot me in a lineup. So, he's not going to answer the phone no matter how pissed I might become over this issue and hear me out.

I'm really not trying to be a smartass. But I'm not sure what you're getting at with the rank-and-file alums being the issue. If the school kicks off a campus arena or NIL campaign and I can be of assistance, I'm more than willing to contribute and I'm sure others will as well. This takes leadership that states a clear direction and goals. Again, I can call Currie tomorrow and tell him we need to do everything you state. I suspect I'll get a nice lapel pin and a "go deacs" sticker in reply. Beyond that, just running around bitching about it isn't going to help either.

You must be new to donaldross posts.

Duke 24
UNC 22
Cuse 18
L'ville 17
Pitt 13
ND 13
UVA 11
Miami 10
NC State 10
FSU 9
WF 9
Clemson 8
BC 8
GT 6
VT 6

Since 2003, Purdue has made the NCAA Tournament 14 of 20 seasons (counting the 2020 year which they likely wouldn't have made it in).

I see no reason whatsoever why we can't become the Purdue of the ACC.

It seems absurd to say after the last decade-plus, but for an ambitious program, making the the NCAA Tournament really...isn't too difficult. Play a challenging schedule, have a couple key wins, and 19-13/18-14 overall and .500 in conference gets you in most years.

It seems absurd to say after the last decade-plus, but for an ambitious program, making the the NCAA Tournament really...isn't too difficult. Play a challenging schedule, have a couple key wins, and 19-13/18-14 overall and .500 in conference gets you in most years.

Pretty much. Throw in a few rebuilding seasons and you're in at least 2/3 of the time.

missing the ncaa tournament used to be a disaster for wake

The most amazing part to me is Wake fans, who I know were watching, have complete Amenesia when it comes to Wake hoops over the last 25 years. And the worst is it's happening again right before our eyes. Folks have completely disappeared again. They will surface again in November with new memories of "all those great years with Alondes and Coach Forbes."

Just as they did about "all those great Prosser/CP3 years. Man, that Joel was rocking, we are going to be great like we were with Alondes and CP3 and J Ho."

It's just delusional and prevents us from addressing the problem.

Barry Faircloth ain't coming with an answer folks. The answer is on us. Meanwhile our alums have started golf season never to think about investing in Wake hoops again until next January when they think back on "all those great times with Alondes and CP3."

And the cycle goes on and on with folks wondering why we can't win. It has to be the Coach! Even though we have now gone through 5 of them with the same damn answer.

DR is getting dumber.

Back